Canon patents a built-in tilting viewfinder

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Here is an interesting patent from Canon, an EOS R series body with a built-in tilting viewfinder. This would definitely be a feature a lot of people would enjoy using on a camera like the Canon EOS R5 Mark II. I have used such a viewfinder with the Leica M11 and I love it. It

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Please Canon, make it real.
Since I hate using the LCD for macros in sunshine, this would be perfect for me!
I also use such a tilting viewfinder on my Leica M and I love it !

I didn't know I wanted it until I bought the EVF for the M11 to get the lower minimum focus distance on certain lenses, as well as it being easier to focus with my aging eyes. The tilt has been a joy to use and I find I use it more tilted up just because of my height and getting lower/eye-level with subjects.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
A basic tilting electronic viewfinder couldn't be patented, it's been done so many times before. There must be something in the implementation which is deemed worthy of a patent.

I agree it would be a great feature - the sort of thing which might tip the balance in favour of updating an otherwise perfectly good camera (such as the R5).

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A basic tilting electronic viewfinder couldn't be patented, it's been done so many times before. There must be something in the implementation which is deemed worthy of a patent.

I agree it would be a great feature - the sort of thing which might tip the balance in favour of updating an otherwise perfectly good camera (such as the R5).
It looks like it pulls out then flips up. Likely to keep the EVF as flush as possible to the body when it's in the "normal" position.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I didn't know I wanted it until I bought the EVF for the M11 to get the lower minimum focus distance on certain lenses, as well as it being easier to focus with my aging eyes. The tilt has been a joy to use and I find I use it more tilted up just because of my height and getting lower/eye-level with subjects.
Same her, apart from my modest height...;)
An expensive Leica option, but absolutely worth it!

Upvote 0
Yes, I would much rather this that a tilting screen.
Keep the side flipping screen and have the EVF tilt.
It seems a bit overkill to have both the screen and the EVF tilting. As a photographer, I would far prefer a tilting EVF than a tilting LCD screen.
However, i'm sure the Video centric guys will have a different opinion.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
It looks like it pulls out then flips up. Likely to keep the EVF as flush as possible to the body when it's in the "normal" position.
The body in the drawing looks like an R6/R6m2. Maybe it was already implemented in one of those prototypes for testing.
I think the mechanism would be quite complex and therefore expensive. So if I am right with both, they skipped it for the R6m2.
For all hoping for it, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it'll come with the R5m2.
Personally, I am not so sure about the durability of the mechanics here. But I was so with the screen, too. And that works well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Here is an interesting patent from Canon, an EOS R series body with a built-in tilting viewfinder. This would definitely be a feature a lot of people would enjoy using on a camera like the Canon EOS R5 Mark II. I have used such a viewfinder with the Leica M11 and I love it. It

See full article...
Ummm... Just so you know, Samsung had that very feature on their short lived NX-30 Camera introduced in 2014... Appears Canon is 9 years late.

Attachments

• Clip180.png
    Clip180.png
    375.8 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, and Samsung had it on the NX-30 introduced in 2014 and one does wonder how you "Patent" something that already existed.
Two points there. One, the new patent must have sufficient differences to have novelty compared to prior art. The devil is in the details, so even something that looks similar can easily be different enough. Two, when CRguy and others report these news items as 'Canon patents' it generally means the patent has published, which happens a fixed 18 months from the date of application filing. It doesn't mean the patent was granted in the form it was published, so if upon review the examiner determines some of the claims are not novel, they will be rejected.

Upvote 0

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
I would love this feature in any future camera I buy. I regularly used the Canon angle finder C with my slr's going back to film days. I really miss not being able to use it with my R5. I don't like using the flip screen on the back since I need to use it with reading glasses to see it, and it is not on the same line of focus that the lens its pointing. It also reflects the sunlight (or clouds) making it hard to see at all. This feature, or at least offering an accessory angle finder would be very welcomed by me.

How about adding some well made extension tubes to the R system while you're at it. The R system is still lacking some very basic things that I have always taken for granted and have been available to most camera systems since I began my photography over 40 yerars ago.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
How about adding some well made extension tubes to the R system while you're at it. The R system is still lacking some very basic things that I have always taken for granted and have been available to most camera systems since I began my photography over 40 yerars ago.
I suspect that extension tubes were never very popular, and they're likely pretty far down on Canon's priority list for the RF mount. I think they're of even less importance considering that Canon is adding semi-macro capability to many lenses that would have formerly have been used with tubes, e.g the RF 24/1.8, 35/1.8 and 85/2 all go to 0.5x native magnification.

I do have the EF versions of the 12 and 25mm tubes, which I use mainly for closer focus with the 600/4 II. Although I was not inclined to trust a 3rd party tube as the bridge between a $13K lens and a $6-7K body, for what is probably a more typical extension tube use case (increased magnification for standard lenses) a 3rd party option would be fine. There are already several of those for the RF mount, e.g. Vello (12 + 20 set), Kenko (10 + 16 set), Meike (13 + 18 set) and Fotodiox (15 and 35, separate).

Upvote 0