Canon posts 40% profit gain, and 70% increase in mirrorless

Jun 20, 2013
Woody said:
rrcphoto said:
someone I know was looking at fuji but wanted a 18-150,esque zoom. So i showed them this picture, they bought an M the next day.

I must confess the Canon EF-M 18-150 lens is one of the reasons I got an M5 for myself. Its weight of 300 g is highly attractive.

it's a great little lens. combine that with the 11-22 and it's a damned good travel kit.

to get the most out of the 18-150 though, use DLO (inside of DPP) .. and the results are excellent from the lens.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Woody said:
rrcphoto said:
Canon has sold 2.51 million ILCs so far this year; which probably puts them around 43-46% depending on June's CIPA numbers.

CIPA June shipment numbers are out. Canon achieved 43.77% market shares for ILC in the Jan-Jun 2017 period.

So? Under 50%? Canon is surely doomed then :p

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Woody said:
I am just curious who grabbed that ~ 4% of market shares: Nikon or Sony? ;D

Nikon's latest financial results are also out:
http://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/index.htm

Putting together CIPA, Nikon and Canon numbers together for Jan-Jun 2017, this is what we have:

Total ILC shipment = 5,734,678 units
Nikon = 1,350,000 = 23.5% market share
Canon = 2,510,000 = 43.8% market share
Canikon total = 67.3% market share

This is the first time in many, many years when Canikon's total market share dips below 70%. Sony is stealing market shares from Nikon.

Furthermore, based on Nikon's forecast, they only expect to achieve market share of ~ 25% for 2017. Canon should remain ~ 44%.

In Nikon's own words:

"In the Imaging Products Business, sales of mid-class cameras such as the D7500, a digital SLR camera released in June this year were firm, with unit sales increasing significantly in the U.S. Accordingly, the performance in revenue and operating profit exceeded the planned targets, but compared to the same period of the previous year, decreases in sales and profits were recorded due to a product mix change caused by the stagnant demand for the D5 and the D500."
- http://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/pdf/2018/18_1qf_c_e.pdf

Upvote 0
Sharlin said:
Woody said:
"...stagnant demand for the D5 and the D500."

Huh. I wonder why that is. Both seem to be excellent, highly capable cameras. And the D500 especially was long awaited.

I was under the impression the d500 and 200-500 were going to bankrupt Canon. Heck I even scratched my head considering that combo to replace my 7d2 and 400f5.6

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
reef58 said:
Sharlin said:
Woody said:
"...stagnant demand for the D5 and the D500."

Huh. I wonder why that is. Both seem to be excellent, highly capable cameras. And the D500 especially was long awaited.

I was under the impression the d500 and 200-500 were going to bankrupt Canon. Heck I even scratched my head considering that combo to replace my 7d2 and 400f5.6

Just speculating, but I would imagine that pent-up demand for both boosted sales last year, but once that pent-up demand had been met, sales leveled off ("stagnant demand"). The question is, did Nikon expect that to happen, or were they overly optimistic about their ability to sustain the initial level of sales. If the latter, then that shows poor management on their part, as no company should expect sales in the second year to keep up with initial demand.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Woody said:
rrcphoto said:
Canon has sold 2.51 million ILCs so far this year; which probably puts them around 43-46% depending on June's CIPA numbers.

CIPA June shipment numbers are out. Canon achieved 43.77% market shares for ILC in the Jan-Jun 2017 period.

somewhere around there. yes.

however it's not entirely accurate because you are comparing CIPA shipped units versus Canon *sold* units.

they won't exactly line up because there's units unsold in inventory throughout the world, loaners, warranty replacements,etc.

Upvote 0
5d Mark III Zoom lens EF 24-105mm

I'm having trouble with all of my images coming out crooked.
It's a brand new body and a used lens.

I shoot with the grid in the view finder and even a level on my tripod but all my images seemed to be rotated a couple degrees counter clockwise.

any ideas out there?

Attachments

• 4Q9A0664 copy.jpg
    4Q9A0664 copy.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Re: 5d Mark III Zoom lens EF 24-105mm

sharpesharpe said:
I'm having trouble with all of my images coming out crooked.
It's a brand new body and a used lens.

I shoot with the grid in the view finder and even a level on my tripod but all my images seemed to be rotated a couple degrees counter clockwise.

any ideas out there?

Raw or jpg SOC? If raw then you may need to look at your raw editor interpreting lens profile correctly?

Upvote 0