Canon posts first quarter of 2020 financial results

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has posted their first quarter of 2020 financial results, as expected, COVID-19 has impacted their businesses across the board.
From Canon:
In the first quarter, amid ongoing camera market contraction, we posted a significant drop in revenue. This was due to a shortage of products linked to supply-chain issues that arose in connection with COVID-19.
Going forward, we will make every effort to minimize the sales impact, carrying out flexible parts procurement that takes into consideration the operating status of suppliers and clarifying our priorities as it relates to the production of each model.
In addition to the impact on supply, sales of interchangeable-lens cameras were also greatly affected. One after another, life events were canceled or postponed and chances to use cameras decreased. In addition to this, we believe it will take time to see a recovery in the demand for cameras, which are considered luxury items, even after the global economic turmoil has...

Continue reading...

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
I see they referenced the R5 announcement, which has yet to be announced :D

They made a reference to the "development announcement":

announced the development of a new full-frame mirrorless camera, the EOS R5

The development announcement was in February:

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I think you guys are misinterpreting the "popular price range" section of their statement. It's not low-end bodies that refers to, but rather cheaper lenses. Both before and after that phrase, they're still talking about lenses.

What this means is we'll get a bunch of RF non-L options. This may take up a good number of those mentioned 9 slots.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm concerned about that "flexible parts procurement" reference. If they mean finding alternative suppliers outside of China, it could be a good thing. If it means outsourcing components that are produced in Japan that could be a bad thing. I also worry because if they are outsourcing to multiple suppliers it becomes harder to maintain consistent quality control.

Upvote 0
How many RF lenses were introduced this year? I only recall the 100-500 and 24-105. I am not sure if Canon counts the 2 teleconverters as lenses.
Does that mean there are still 7 RF lenses to announce?
  • RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM (announced)
  • RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 (development announced)
  • RF 1.4x and 2x (development announced)
  • five additional lenses planned in 2020 (five empty slots on the roadmap).
Total is nine.

Feuille de route des objectifs Canon RF (13 fevrier 2020).jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
They made a reference to the "development announcement":

The development announcement was in February:

Let me see... they make an announcement about a development announcement while waiting for an actual announcement - or maybe an announcement of a date when they will confirm an actual announcement. Got it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Good side of Coronavirus, because it impacts market, manufacturers will be throwing their best to attract buyers at low price for their Financials to get back on track. Good especially for Canon as they have been a bit 'stagnant' spec wise and it's the right time to throw in all good things with the new mount, unlike other brands who don't much more to offer after COVID-19 crisis.

Upvote 0
I think you guys are misinterpreting the "popular price range" section of their statement. It's not low-end bodies that refers to, but rather cheaper lenses. Both before and after that phrase, they're still talking about lenses.

What this means is we'll get a bunch of RF non-L options. This may take up a good number of those mentioned 9 slots.
yes, i took it as they meant popular priced lenses.

Upvote 0