Canon price gouging in UK

Mar 25, 2011
How do Canon prices in the UK compare with Nikon, Sony, and the others? Are they all doing the same thing? I don't have the time to check, and I'd probably not understand what I saw in any event.

Its small potatoes compared to what has happened to the price for building materials in the USA. A sheet of wafer wood that sold for $5 to $7 is now $80. A 250 ft roll of house wiring, 12/2 w ground has went from ~$20 to $130 with most of that increase after Covid hit. The list goes on and on. Even photography items are selling for more right now, but not nearly as much as the UK. I have 3 or more coils of house wiring that I bought back when it was about $17 a coil, I might consider selling a couple. I think I bought them in error. I happened to be looking into getting some extra power into a back room of my shop and wondering what the best way to get it there was when I discovered the high prices. Clearly, buying more wire is not it. I want 10 gage, and have some partial rolls of 10 gage burial cable which is even more expensive. Those cost me $30 a coil when I bought them, now they can be over $200. I buried cable and water lines that ran to various places around my small farm. I am sure I can find enough 10 gage to run the 80 ft I need to go but I don't want to splice it even though I'm good at that. I did buy conduit, the price has jumped from $5 to $10 not as much, but it all adds up.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
How do Canon prices in the UK compare with Nikon, Sony, and the others? Are they all doing the same thing? I don't have the time to check, and I'd probably not understand what I saw in any event.

Its small potatoes compared to what has happened to the price for building materials in the USA. A sheet of wafer wood that sold for $5 to $7 is now $80. A 250 ft roll of house wiring, 12/2 w ground has went from ~$20 to $130 with most of that increase after Covid hit. The list goes on and on. Even photography items are selling for more right now, but not nearly as much as the UK. I have 3 or more coils of house wiring that I bought back when it was about $17 a coil, I might consider selling a couple. I think I bought them in error. I happened to be looking into getting some extra power into a back room of my shop and wondering what the best way to get it there was when I discovered the high prices. Clearly, buying more wire is not it. I want 10 gage, and have some partial rolls of 10 gage burial cable which is even more expensive. Those cost me $30 a coil when I bought them, now they can be over $200. I buried cable and water lines that ran to various places around my small farm. I am sure I can find enough 10 gage to run the 80 ft I need to go but I don't want to splice it even though I'm good at that. I did buy conduit, the price has jumped from $5 to $10 not as much, but it all adds up.
Sony and Nikon charge the same in the UK as the rest of Europe, give or take currency fluctuations, but we pay more than you do. Price inflation is not too bad. Some things have gone up in the UK since leaving the EU.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Nikon and Sony charge the same in the UK as in the EU, give or take daily variations in the exchange rate. Canon charges the UK 10-15% more than the EU. I mailed CPS in the UK about this, and they replied quickly. The gist was that the pricing is determined by Canon Europe and not by Canon Japan. Canon Europe has to charge the same over Europe but they can do what they like with us in the UK.

I certainly haven't noticed from the times I have lived in the USA that Americans have less spending power than Europeans, quite the reverse. This borne out in tables of the average wages in the world where you can see the USA is close to the top and above most EU countries (only Luxembourg in the EU is above them) and earnings far more than inthe UK.
The "average" income in the U.S. is distorted by the incomes of the top earners, who earn a more disproportionate share of the total than the top earners in Europe, and who have also figured out way to beat the U.S. tax code and pay little to no real income tax. The "median" consumer in the U.S (that is, the consumer who has buying power that is more than the lower half of other consumers and less than the upper half of other consumers) has less buying power than the median consumer in Europe.

Upvote 0