Canon Products Selected for Esteemed Technical Image Press Association Awards for 21st Consecutive Y

Re: Canon Products Selected for Esteemed Technical Image Press Association Awards for 21st Consecuti

Don Haines said:
neuroanatomist said:
dak723 said:
Ah, the Canon haters can't stand that some folks understand what a really good camera is. All they know is test results and internet buzz.

Well, of course the 7DII deserves no awards. After all, it doesn't deliver an additional two stops of low ISO DR…which everyone, everyone, everyone needs (even more than thneeds)!!

I got a 7DII and it took terrible pictures and the AF system was next to useless..... until I learned how to use it properly..... (still learning)

Still haven't gotten my 7D Mark II, but I am very much looking forward to it! Can't wait to play with the AF system!

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Re: Canon Products Selected for Esteemed Technical Image Press Association Awards for 21st Consecuti

dak723 said:
Ah, the Canon haters can't stand that some folks understand what a really good camera is. All they know is test results and internet buzz. Too bad. Not to say that other camera makers don't make good products. I started with Olympus (OM-1) and have always respected their products, too. If all you care about is the Exmor sensors, please go buy your Sony A7 or A7R. I bought an A7 II and returned it within 3 days. The hype is not the reality.

But haters will continue to hate and trolls will continue to troll. And pretty much ruin forums like this one.

Why?

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011

Don Haines said:
neuroanatomist said:
dak723 said:
Ah, the Canon haters can't stand that some folks understand what a really good camera is. All they know is test results and internet buzz.

Well, of course the 7DII deserves no awards. After all, it doesn't deliver an additional two stops of low ISO DR…which everyone, everyone, everyone needs (even more than thneeds)!!

I got a 7DII and it took terrible pictures and the AF system was next to useless..... until I learned how to use it properly..... (still learning)

Cat napping photography will not help ;D

Upvote 0

nda said:
sulla said:
Well, sigma has also been rewarded 2 honours for 2 lenses, presumably also for the n-th consecutive year.
It would be interesting to look up who else won which awards and how many caregories there are. Then to compare how well canon did in comparison with the competitors.

http://www.tipa.com/english/XXV_tipa_awards_2015.html
When you look at the awards as a whole - they seem extremely fair, balanced & un-biased.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014

coldsweat said:
nda said:
sulla said:
Well, sigma has also been rewarded 2 honours for 2 lenses, presumably also for the n-th consecutive year.
It would be interesting to look up who else won which awards and how many caregories there are. Then to compare how well canon did in comparison with the competitors.

http://www.tipa.com/english/XXV_tipa_awards_2015.html
When you look at the awards as a whole - they seem extremely fair, balanced & un-biased.

Of course. You have to give everyone a prize, otherwise they might stop sending money ;)

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
dak723 said:

John, again I think you have this around the wrong foot and the tone of your post is a bit silly.

None (meaning few) expected the 7DII to be a high DR body. The people asking for improved DR and improved noise from the sensor (including me) are talking about the high end FF cameras. The 7DII was way beyond what I expected. It is (in my view) clearly the best crop camera available (I bought one). 10fps, the AF system and a rather impressive list of features, combined with a reasonable sensor performance (clearly not great, but still), makes this a great camera for the price. Award well earned.

But that does not remove the fact that Canon's FF sensors, including the 50,6MP beast in the 5DS is way behind Sony on (low ISO) DR and (most likely, but I'll await proper test reports) also noise.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Eldar said:
neuroanatomist said:
dak723 said:

John, again I think you have this around the wrong foot

Thus, the implication that the award was bought and paid for by Canon, and thus the 3rd post in this thread was:

LetTheRightLensIn said:
Never mind half the other cameras they tested could deliver more HDR with a single shot, and thus under any scenario...

Eldar said:
...and the tone of your post is a bit silly

Yes, it was intended to be flippant, but that doesn't chance the nature of the initial complaints about the 7DII from 'the usual suspects'.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012

As a 7D II owner I am a bit surprised it won an award.
I'm on an upward curve of satisfaction with the 7D2 (as described here at one stage on a post from Lensrentals or somewhere). My initial reaction with it was disappointment. The 10 FPS is excellent, the viewfinder is really clear (not sure how come but its crystal clear), the focusing is very good. For sport its amazing what you can get with 10 FPS that 6 FPS doesn't quite catch. A 1DX must be great fun.

I haven't been over impressed with image quality on the 7D II.
I find I can't crop pictures very much without signs of that showing up.
I'm a bit spoilt by the 5D III.
Maybe its won because it has the best image quality of an APS-C sensor but I'd be surprised if that was the case. Either that or there has been no progress on image quality on APS-C sensors.
The Olympus OM-D E....? II seems to be able to match or better them with a smaller sensor.
Maybe there isn't much competition in that category this year

The 100-400 on the other hand is a great lens and works very well on both the 5DIII and 7DII.
Combined with the 7DII lowlight performance isn't great as the ISO performance of the 7D II doesn't match the 5DIII at all. I'd have thought they could have improved the ISO performance more.

I'll be really interest to see photos from the 11-24mm to see how good this is. It's very attractive with a high price on its head. I like wide angle - I'll have to start saving or sell a kidney.

Upvote 0

Hector1970 said:
I haven't been over impressed with image quality on the 7D II.
I find I can't crop pictures very much without signs of that showing up.

Hmmm.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1425001&page=1

Upvote 0

Hector1970 said:
Really interesting link.
Couldn't agree at all about what that link says about cropability.

What does anyone else with a 7D Mark II think?

I agree with what Jake said in the link completely. As I posted in that thread, I attribute a lot of the increased cropability that I have found with the 7DII (compared to the 7D) to having things in much better focus with the 7DII. There are a lot of heavily cropped 7DII images on POTN that show it can be done.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012

I guess its perspective too.
I don't know how bad the 7D was for cropability. Maybe it was very bad.
It depends too how clean and image you want after a crop or what size you intend to print or what you are doing with your prints.
Stand a few feet back and it probably looks fine. My eyesight is too good. As I get older everything will look better.
The 5D III has ruined my perspective. Maybe its too good.
I have a 500D as well and I find the 7D II not much an improvement on it. Maybe I had a good copy of a 500D and not so good copy of a 7D II.

Upvote 0

Not so much perspective, I think. I had no problem cropping 7D images quite dramatically. I just get more shots with the 7DII that are in sharp focus, which means more images that can be cropped. Again, there is sufficient evidence across the web that 7DII images can be cropped dramatically and yield sharp, detailed images. I am not going to speculate on why you are not having good results, as there could be many reasons (including a bad copy), but I feel comfortable concluding that it is not a general problem with the 7DII, or else these sharp, cropped images that are out there would not be out there. :)

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

Dylan777 said:
dak723 said:
Ah, the Canon haters can't stand that some folks understand what a really good camera is. All they know is test results and internet buzz. Too bad. Not to say that other camera makers don't make good products. I started with Olympus (OM-1) and have always respected their products, too. If all you care about is the Exmor sensors, please go buy your Sony A7 or A7R. I bought an A7 II and returned it within 3 days. The hype is not the reality.

But haters will continue to hate and trolls will continue to troll. And pretty much ruin forums like this one.

Why?

Two main reasons I returned the camera. The EVF did not meet my expectations. Outdoors (even at the highest setting) it was too dark, and indoors too light. This effectively minimized the advantage of WYSIWYG that an EVF can provide. The EVF is not as good as the Olympus OM-D EM-1, which I have.

The other reason was not the camera, but the lens. With a minimum budget, I needed the kit lens to be relatively good. I knew it probably wouldn't be as good as my 24-105 L, but the lens was noticeably soft on almost the entire right side. Whether it was the lens or the shutter shock issue that some have talked about, I don't know.

I know many are happy using the Sony A7 with adapter and their Canon lenses, but I did not try that route. While many have had success with the various adapters, I have also read numerous user experiences that have said that the focus peaking is not always reliable and Auto focus is very slow and not reliable either. According to manufacturer websites, most adapters will not auto focus with the 24-105 L, although some user reviews contradict this.

The A7 II also under-exposed by a stop on most shots (but not all). I found that in the days that I had it, none of my shots required those extra 2 stops of DR.

This is not to say that the Sony is not a good camera. If it were not for the lousy (and perhaps faulty) lens, I would have given it a longer and more thorough test. With the bad lens, I figured I better return it before I dropped the camera or something!

For those that need to rely on the Sony lenses (their other lens, the Sony FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Zeiss Vario-Tessar gets really lousy reviews on SLR gear) you might want to think twice about this camera. People often talk about "the system" when comparing cameras - not just the sensor. Well, the sensor may be excellent on this camera, but the system isn't there yet. Based on the lenses and the disappointing EVF, I returned the camera. The only thing that would make me consider this camera in the future is its compact size. That, more than the sensor, was quite appealing compared to the Canon 6D.

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com

if it helps or provides comedy there a lame guy in nyc the bronx named kiefer dixon on facebook thats hates on people who own 5D Mark 3 and 7D Mark 2 cameras he annointed himself best photog in nyc while using an old run down t3i living with his mom pretending too be a air traffic controller lol :eek: he will hate on folks badly

Upvote 0

dak723 said:

Yes, because a JPG HDR mode and a bulb mode make for a ground-breaking win. Maybe it deserves an award, but if those are the things mentioned, come on, it's a joke award, just like most awards of these sort.

Upvote 0

Don Haines said:
All this is proof that Canon never innovates... <SARCASM TAG>

yah, jpg HDR and bulb mode and intervalometer are mega-innovation.

maybe they do, maybe they don't, but don't use silly awards like this to judge either way

Upvote 0

LetTheRightLensIn said:
Yes, because a JPG HDR mode and a bulb mode make for a ground-breaking win. Maybe it deserves an award, but if those are the things mentioned, come on, it's a joke award, just like most awards of these sort.

Seriously?

You picked those three points out of the whole list. From the TIPA site . . .

With specs that appeal to photographers who know what a DSLR is capable of delivering, the 20.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor in the Canon EOS 7D Mark II resides within a weather- and dust-resistant magnesium alloy body along with dual DIGIC 6 processors. The camera features 10 frames-per-second shooting rate, a 65-point (all cross type) AF system, and a 100% field of view viewfinder. Exciting features include HDR and multi-exposure modes, intervalometer and bulb timer for long exposure capture. The camera has dual card slots for both SD-type and CF cards. To support Full HD video quality there is Dual Pixel CMOS AF and dedicated stereo microphone and built-in headphone jack ports.

THAT's why they say it won the award.

Upvote 0

fragilesi said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:

Seriously?

You picked those three points out of the whole list. From the TIPA site . . .

With specs that appeal to photographers who know what a DSLR is capable of delivering, the 20.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor in the Canon EOS 7D Mark II resides within a weather- and dust-resistant magnesium alloy body along with dual DIGIC 6 processors. The camera features 10 frames-per-second shooting rate, a 65-point (all cross type) AF system, and a 100% field of view viewfinder. Exciting features include HDR and multi-exposure modes, intervalometer and bulb timer for long exposure capture. The camera has dual card slots for both SD-type and CF cards. To support Full HD video quality there is Dual Pixel CMOS AF and dedicated stereo microphone and built-in headphone jack ports.

THAT's why they say it won the award.

More like you conveniently clipped out the "The jury highlighted such “exciting” features as HDR (High Dynamic Range) and Multiple Exposure modes, as well as an intervalometer and a bulb timer for long exposure capture.". That is what proves it to all be a joke. (And if a Nikon or someone else wins an industry award it's usually the same nonsense, most of these awards are just fluff.)

If they had highlighted large buffer, 10fps, advanced AF system combined with high reach, then fine. But they highlight ridiculous stuff and then just randomly list the Canon product spec sheet list.

Upvote 0