Canon profit report

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
http://asia.nikkei.com/Markets/Tokyo-Market/Canon-likely-saw-7-profit-boost-in-January-September

October 15, 2014 1:57 am JST

Canon likely saw 7% profit boost in January-SeptemberTOKYO -- Canon's operating profit apparently climbed 7% on the year to just over 260 billion yen ($2.41 billion) for the nine months through September thanks to strong office equipment sales and a weak yen.

But sluggish camera sales blunted the Japanese company's profits, which had shot up 26% in the January-June half.

Total sales for the January-September period likely stayed flat from the 2.69 trillion yen booked a year earlier.

Both sales and profit appear to have grown at its mainstay office equipment unit. The recovery in the business environment has pushed up demand for photocopiers, laser printers and other office equipment around the world. The soft yen has further boosted profits. Yet sales of high-margin consumable items, such as toner, stalled.

Meanwhile, profits in its imaging systems segment likely dipped from falling digital camera sales. The company sold about 30% fewer compact cameras due to competition from smartphones with better-quality cameras. Weak personal spending in Europe and repercussions from Japan's sales tax hike also contributed to a double-digit drop for interchangeable-lens products, such as SLRs.

The company is focusing more on higher-end items, which have a wider profit margin, and has slashed production costs, but was unable to completely make up for the slow sales.

Canon plans to release January-September results on Oct. 27. It is expected to retain its guidance for the year ending in December of an 8% operating profit gain to 365 billion yen.

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
drmikeinpdx said:
http://asia.nikkei.com/Markets/Tokyo-Market/Canon-likely-saw-7-profit-boost-in-January-September

October 15, 2014 1:57 am JST

Canon likely saw 7% profit boost in January-SeptemberTOKYO -- Canon's operating profit apparently climbed 7% on the year to just over 260 billion yen ($2.41 billion) for the nine months through September thanks to strong office equipment sales and a weak yen.

But sluggish camera sales blunted the Japanese company's profits, which had shot up 26% in the January-June half.

Total sales for the January-September period likely stayed flat from the 2.69 trillion yen booked a year earlier.

Both sales and profit appear to have grown at its mainstay office equipment unit. The recovery in the business environment has pushed up demand for photocopiers, laser printers and other office equipment around the world. The soft yen has further boosted profits. Yet sales of high-margin consumable items, such as toner, stalled.

Meanwhile, profits in its imaging systems segment likely dipped from falling digital camera sales. The company sold about 30% fewer compact cameras due to competition from smartphones with better-quality cameras. Weak personal spending in Europe and repercussions from Japan's sales tax hike also contributed to a double-digit drop for interchangeable-lens products, such as SLRs.

The company is focusing more on higher-end items, which have a wider profit margin, and has slashed production costs, but was unable to completely make up for the slow sales.

Canon plans to release January-September results on Oct. 27. It is expected to retain its guidance for the year ending in December of an 8% operating profit gain to 365 billion yen.
Thanks, this was interesting read.

Upvote 0

if canon wants my money they have to do produce a camera that makes me want to spend 3000 euro.

no marketing campaing makes me spend my money, products do.

i have 14 canon lenses but the last camera body i bought was a sony a7r this week.
can´t wait until i get it.
so even metabones got more money from me this year than canon.

Upvote 0
Bennymiata said:
I wonder what Nikon's profit was for the same period?
They don't have an office equipment division to hold up profitability.

Nikon has a huge Mitsubishi corporation to back it up, and is only one of the divisions (they do make office equipment, among other things, like airplane components, cars...).

What Canon is doing, is basically handing all of the first time buyers to Nikon.

Upvote 0
Woody said:
BozillaNZ said:
No new sensor == no sale for me.

Same here

i thought the same.

but then i saw images from the sony a7r with the metabones adapter and canon lenses. :)
i don´t need fast AF. 95% of my motivs are not moving.
but i want the best low iso image quality i can get. and that´s what sony offers me.

had i prefered to buy canon?... 100%
but canon s not offering a competing product.

Upvote 0