Canon Q1 2017 Results: Canon Raises Annual Profit Outlook

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
rrcphoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
Olympus as an example just posted a great increase in op profit (700% or something like that), but digging into their unit numbers ..

they sold 177,000 that quarter, against 183,000 the YoY past. -3.3%

Operating profit = gross profit – operating expenses. So higher operating profit can come from higher revenues or lower expenses (e.g. layoffs, factory closings, 'restructuring', etc.).

yes. my poiont was that even with no excuses (delayed sensors,etc) the same quarter, that canon posted a +6% growth, olympus posted a -3.3% loss in units.

we'll never know what Sony reports because sony never does.

I find it curious that canon took unit sales away from Olympus.

what were the respective ASPs and SPU?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The real news is that Canon's decision to diversify into related imaging fields is working. They are growth areas while Cameras are weak. This means a stronger company, which can continue to develop new products and increase their share of the Camera market.

As the population in general ages, more medical services are needed, so more Ultrasound and other Medical imaging products are needed. Its a growth industry.

The world is pretty saturated with digital cameras for personal use, but there are still a lot of street corners without surveillance cameras ;) I just bought two from B&H to place on my rural property after seeing some suspicious characters around. They are not low end, so I hope they don't get stolen. Its a whole new area, I'm not a network expert, and am struggling to figure out a network setup that does not saturate the camera interfaces with requests for video, but to stream to several Kindles, Iphones, Smart TV, pc's, a lot of stuff. I've had 9 users connected to the cameras, and they become almost unresponsive. I may ditch the Kindles and get some Android Tablets, but I'd like to make the Kindles work better. I have three locations where I want to install monitors that connect by Wi-Fi, a smart TV over wired ethernet, my Iphone, plus be able to view and operate them on any of several PC's. I've tried over a dozen software programs / apps, but not yet found what I want. I do not understand multicast, but that might be the key. My NAS connects to them, but its Android App does not like my Kindle Tablets except one latest model tablet. (Iphone is fine). The Camera manufacturers app will not run on any of the Kindles. I'd rather not install a video server on a PC because then, it must run 24/7 with battery backup, a hassle, but I'm testing that as well, I have pc's I can dedicate and put in my studio.

I plan on trying a Android Tablet when they go on sale tomorrow at Costco to see if it does any better. Since I basically just want wireless monitors, I do not want expensive tablets.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
The real news is that Canon's decision to diversify into related imaging fields is working. They are growth areas while Cameras are weak. This means a stronger company, which can continue to develop new products and increase their share of the Camera market.

As the population in general ages, more medical services are needed, so more Ultrasound and other Medical imaging products are needed. Its a growth industry.

The world is pretty saturated with digital cameras for personal use, but there are still a lot of street corners without surveillance cameras ;) I just bought two from B&H to place on my rural property after seeing some suspicious characters around. They are not low end, so I hope they don't get stolen. Its a whole new area, I'm not a network expert, and am struggling to figure out a network setup that does not saturate the camera interfaces with requests for video, but to stream to several Kindles, Iphones, Smart TV, pc's, a lot of stuff. I've had 9 users connected to the cameras, and they become almost unresponsive. I may ditch the Kindles and get some Android Tablets, but I'd like to make the Kindles work better. I have three locations where I want to install monitors that connect by Wi-Fi, a smart TV over wired ethernet, my Iphone, plus be able to view and operate them on any of several PC's. I've tried over a dozen software programs / apps, but not yet found what I want. I do not understand multicast, but that might be the key. My NAS connects to them, but its Android App does not like my Kindle Tablets except one latest model tablet. (Iphone is fine). The Camera manufacturers app will not run on any of the Kindles. I'd rather not install a video server on a PC because then, it must run 24/7 with battery backup, a hassle, but I'm testing that as well, I have pc's I can dedicate and put in my studio.

I plan on trying a Android Tablet when they go on sale tomorrow at Costco to see if it does any better. Since I basically just want wireless monitors, I do not want expensive tablets.

I think the best setup is to record to the NAS and read from there using a PC as a video streamer as you mentioned, then all can access and the videos are backed up, although if you want to keep backups for history you would need DVDs to keep the NAS from filling up.

As for the cameras getting stolen, you can set them high enough that they won't be stolen, at least easily.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
meywd said:
I think the best setup is to record to the NAS and read from there using a PC as a video streamer as you mentioned, then all can access and the videos are backed up, although if you want to keep backups for history you would need DVDs to keep the NAS from filling up.

As for the cameras getting stolen, you can set them high enough that they won't be stolen, at least easily.

Using them with my Qnap NAS thing was my original plan, but for some reason, their mobile client (Vmobile) does not run well on my mobile devices. I have three access points with lots of capacity and a very strong signal, but the videos freeze and only update once a second at best. I get 20-50 fps on a pc with the Hikvision client, but it will not work on the Kindles and on my iphone, its also 1 fps. I have tried other software as well, most run fine on a pc, but struggles on a mobile device or smart TV.

One camera is mounted high, but the one on my front porch cannot be mounted out of reach. They have some substantial bolts holding them in place, and really heavy duty commercial grade mounts. I'll figure it out, but I have to learn one step at a time.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Another take from http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/canon-claims-cameras-turnin.html

"As usual, Canon is the first to present their January to March fiscal results (partly because it isn't the end of their fiscal year).

Interchangeable lens cameras were up 6% on a volume basis (1.08m units), compact cameras were down 6% on the same basis (1.0m units). Overall, camera sales were up 7.4%, and profit from the Imaging System group was up 49% year-to-year. All generally good news.

Canon's full year forecast is unchanged, predicting a 7% decline in ILC cameras for the entire year, a 13% decline for compact cameras, with sales being relatively flat (-0.7%) and profits up 8.7%. In terms of market share, Canon expects to finish 2017 with a 48% market share in ILC cameras and a 27% market share in compacts.

Canon made a specific comment about G series compacts being strong, which makes Nikon's cancellation of the DL series even more odd.

Overall, the comment from Canon at their press conferences was that camera market decline was bottoming out, and that Canon hoped to now see growth in the category long-term. Of course, their market projections for 2017 still say a decline is going on, so maybe a more accurate observation might be that they think they can see the bottom and how they'll turn the corner."

Impressive.

Upvote 0