Canon R5 Electronic Shutter Performance is Better Than The Internet Thinks...

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Brilliant photos LSX.
How does the R5 electronic shutter perform under artificial lights, especially LEDs and fluorescent? I find that the R's electronic shutter is "unusable" in some situations due to severe banding.
I’ve noticed banding on the wings of my birds in flight with the R5. Shooting 1/6400th at f7.1 with auto ISO using RF24-105mm F4 lens.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
As well as π and e, please. And for complex setups: j.
For my setting of “Ding, Dong Merrily on High” on my Christmas album one year, I created an FM synthesis bell sound using π and e as modulation ratios. My program notes referenced “the music of the spheres. I didn’t consciously use i/j in the mix, but that was in the phase relationships.

Upvote 0
Have to say I disagree with the claim it is 'better than the internet thinks it is', I have noticed it quite a lot and am having to adjust my shooting to compensate for/avoid it.

95% of the time I have no issue, but I do get the odd frame with angled backgrounds and also effects like this which is unusable and can't submit:

_PR52304_2021052235227227.jpg

I have assigned the SET button to take me to the menu, and in my menu I can leave it on shutter mode, where I can switch over to mechanical. I will still lose a couple of seconds doing this, I really wish there was a button I could switch back and forth between electronic and mechanical shutter. Sometimes you don't have a second to spare before the moment has passed.

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
I will still lose a couple of seconds doing this, I really wish there was a button I could switch back and forth between electronic and mechanical shutter.
Have You tried to programm custom modes? If one is mechanical and one electronic shutter You can switch quiet fast. There is also the possibility to save settings while You change the custom mode. Getting allways back to default shutter speed/Iso/aperture is probably not Your need.;)

Upvote 0
Have You tried to programm custom modes? If one is mechanical and one electronic shutter You can switch quiet fast. There is also the possibility to save settings while You change the custom mode. Getting allways back to default shutter speed/Iso/aperture is probably not Your need.;)
I use the C modes for different light, rather than different shutter. To use one for sun, one for shade, and then one for mechanical would make it a bit confusing. I use the C mode mfn button all the time though yes. Still need a separate button for mech/elec shutter...

Upvote 0