Canon Rebel T4i/650D EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM & EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

briansquibb

Re: Canon Rebel T4i/650D EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM & EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Officially Announced

ozzy666 said:
briansquibb said:
neuroanatomist said:
briansquibb said:
It has already been established that this is a new 18mp sensor.

Technically true. The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II is a new lens, too, but the changes are cosmetics and algorithms, not optical - "new" but not in any way that actually matters for IQ.

So, has it been established that this new sensor offers any IQ improvements over its predecessor?
Not until it is tested

We all want it to be new and improved.Yes it must be technically called new due to added Hybrid AF(welcome feature),but seems it was put on old 18mp.Just take a look at those Digic5 blurred ISO jpegs at DP review...same like t2i....Also if there any impovement, then Canon PR would use it to full extent,but i found nothing at all in their press release.

Let us hope it is going to improve like the 24-70 and not like the 50 f/1.8

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Re: Canon Rebel T4i/650D EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM & EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Officially Announced

ozzy666 said:
We all want it to be new and improved.

I think most people around here couldn't care less about the 650d - the interesting thing to all of us is how Canon reacts to competition which is an indication of things to come. And as it looks, they are improving af, going video and designing premium products while leaving real sensor iq improvements to the marketing people.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
Silverstream said:
Since this is a new sensor, It is extremely unlikely that IQ will be the same with 3 years of technological refinement time. Please take the time to read the materials out there before making such silly statements.

Please detail the effect of >3 years of tecnhological refinement on the FF CMOS sensor used in the 5DIII vs. that in the 5DII. I'm not talking about better jpg conversion thanks to improvements in Digic, I mean the actual RAW image quality from the sensor, nor am I talking about Canon's marketing Kool-Aid. Please take the time to review past history before making such silly statements.

You admit later in the thread that there is a performance gain from the 5d MKII to MK III sensor in RAW performance. Thus I was correct based on past history. I made no claims as the amount of the difference, only that there would be a difference. I would never make such a quantitative statement on the difference unless I had done the testing myself or had it on extremely trusted authority (and had seen the differences myself).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.