Canon Releases Digital Photo Professional 4.5.20

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<em>Canon has released a new update to its popular Digital Photo Professional 4 (DPP4) software. Version 4.5.20 adds support for older cameras including EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS 5D, EOS 40D, EOS 30D, EOS 20Da, EOS 20D, EOS 400D DIGITAL (EOS Kiss Digital X / EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi), EOS 350D DIGITAL (EOS Kiss Digital N / EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT), PowerShot G15, PowerShot S110, PowerShot S100, and PowerShot S100V along with support for the EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM lens…</em></p>
<p>Since its launch in 2014, Digital Photo Professional 4 has grown to support over 50 DSLR and PowerShot cameras. As well as supporting all the current professional full-frame DSLRs in the Canon range, this latest update now supports a wider range of older models and addresses a few other issues such as:</p>
<ul>
<li>Improved accuracy of the lens data of Digital Lens Optimizer for EF50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, EF24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S60mm f/2.8 Macro USM lenses.</li>
<li>Fixed the problem where it takes time to display a preview image on the high resolution display.</li>
<li>Fixed the phenomenon on the Mac OS in which RAW images imported via remote shooting are not displayed for preview in some cases.</li>
</ul>
<p>Commenting on this latest DPP4 update, Mike Burnhill, Canon Europe’s Professional Imaging Technical Support Programme manager, told CPN: “DPP continues to prove itself as a popular workflow tool for those photographers dedicated to maintaining an all-Canon workflow from capture to print. Canon developed DPP to work seamlessly with Canon cameras and we are delighted more and more users are discovering its workflow benefits. We have been listening to customers and expanding support for new and existing models within DPP.”</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p><strong>DPP 4: KEY FEATURES</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Faster, real-time adjustments</li>
<li>Improved RAW file workflow</li>
<li>Better, more approachable user interfaces</li>
<li>Compatible with 64-bit native environments</li>
<li>Colour adjustments for specific colour gamuts</li>
<li>Improved highlight recovery provides expanded tonality</li>
<li>Improved shadow recovery function</li>
<li>Support for movie playback</li>
<li>Auto Lighting Optimizer can be applied to JPEG images</li>
<li>Better integration with EOS Utility 3 software</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>You can download the latest version of DPP4 – 4.5.20 – free of charge, from Canon Europe’s support site <a href="http://www.canon-europe.com/support/" target="_blank">here</a>. Just click on the camera link and select Digital Photo Professional from the software options to download.</strong></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Not trying to troll, but does anybody here use it for their workflow? Of those that use it, do you also have Lightroom?

I remember messing with whatever version was current for the 5D3 and it was not very fun. I remember they also made it surprisingly hard to download, register, etc. It is tempting to use the native converter, but adding just one manual step to my workflow seems like too much for someone as lazy as me.

I recently bought FastRawViewer thinking it would optimize my culling workflow, but even though it's certainly fast, adding an extra step was just too much overhead and ultimately not worth it...

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
vlad said:
Not trying to troll, but does anybody here use it for their workflow? Of those that use it, do you also have Lightroom?

Not I. I always download and archive the installer for the latest version of DPP, just to have it in case I need it, but I haven't installed or used DPP since v2.x. I still have a 5D, a 20D and a 50/2.5 CM, so I'll definitely download this version. (Wonder why it isn't on the Canon USA site yet.)

I use Lightroom 5 for culling, cataloging, RAW conversion, lens correction, cropping, exposure adjustments, color balance and minor edits. Then Perfectly Clear and/or OnOne plug-ins for any additional tweaking desired before exporting to JPG. When I need to do extensive processing, use layers, add text, etc., I'll export to TIFF for opening in Photoshop. (And the Elements version of PS does everything I need.)

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
Really. Can anyone explain why there is *NEVER* lensdata available for the Canon 80-200L 2.8? Even volatile lenses like old Kit-Zooms are available but not the Lens which got the crowd from Nikon to Canon back in the 80ies. Sometimes I believe because it's not needed to get corrected but then the 70-200 L IS II should also be excluded. It's not the age, too.

I can't find any profiles for this (great) lens, not in DPP3, not in DPP4 and not in DXO. Has anyone a serious reason?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
kphoto99 said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I hate having to enter my serial number every time.

I always google for a serial number and enter that ;-)

For example:
http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/67926/how-can-i-find-the-the-serial-number-of-a-canon-eos-dslr-when-the-stamp-on-the-c

The serial number is in the exit data of your jpegs, so I open one with Preview on my Macs.

Upvote 0
I'm currently using DPP 3.15 instead of DPP4.x as my RAW convertor as there are a number of bugs with DPP4. I haven't tried 4.5.20 so not sure if they were fixed.

The main reason I don't use DPP4.x:

1) it takes much longer to tweak shot settings due to the GUI colours/layout
2) when previewing an image at full size (fit to screen) the image is fuzzy (compared to DPP 3.15) - it seems like USM is not applied?
3) for some reason it is harder to gauge exposure adjustments while zoomed in to 50% of the image

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
AlanF said:
kphoto99 said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I hate having to enter my serial number every time.

I always google for a serial number and enter that ;-)

For example:
http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/67926/how-can-i-find-the-the-serial-number-of-a-canon-eos-dslr-when-the-stamp-on-the-c

The serial number is in the exit data of your jpegs, so I open one with Preview on my Macs.

Good tip! I've been removing my L plate! Doh! Thanks!

Upvote 0