Canon releases firmware updates for the EOS R5 and EOS R6

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The instructions with the firmware upgrade don’t tell you to remove the lens.
You might care to check the facts before replying:

The first paragraph of the update guide (camera-firmwareupdate-en.pdf) Firmware Update Cautions states very clearly:

"Before the firmware update, please remove the lens, external speedlite, and all other accessories from the camera"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I also see the same flickering phenomenon in the lcd screen as well, not just the evf.
if anyone has a solution I’d love to know.
I've owned my R5 for a year and used it heavily in all climates. The EVF flickering only occurred when I was in Peru recently, at a time when the camera had been in continuous use for several hours in hot and very humid conditions, so I put it down to overheating or humidity affecting the electronics. Giving the camera a ten minute break fixed the issue, it was fine afterwards.

To give you an idea of the conditions I operated under, I might mention that one of my colleagues on the trip had both of his cameras completely lockup (a 7DMkii and a brand new 90D). They both eventually recovered, but were unusable for 48 hours.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It seems it does this flickering only in one shot (and probably in love light) and not in af servo. I wonder if it does it to amplify light to focus easier (or not, this is a hypothesis but it gives me this impression)
That can't be the case, because it isn't "normal" behaviour for the camera in low light conditions. What I experienced was a very rapid bright flickering, and I'm pretty sure it was caused by the exceptional heat and humidity. I was shooting in AF Servo.

Upvote 0
Well at least mine does this consistently once in one shot AF in low light. I switch back to servo and it does not. I wonder if exposure simulation has anything to do with it.

yep, it is normal for the EVF or LCD to brightly flash (once) when the area covered by the AF a point is too dark. Mine has always done it when shooting into the shadows. Or when there is a very dark spot just behind the AF point.

It should only flash bright once as the focus is acquired.

If the area behind the AF point is brightly lit with good contrast edges and the camera is flickering multiple times from one shutter press… something else is going on.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
The AF was chaos, the AF point jumps around and it tracks worse than the 1d3, before any of the fixes that didn’t do much. It won’t show the head or body square/rectangle, only a cluster of points.
how odd.. haven't seen anything like that.

Managed to try the new firmware and at least with the RF 24-70 2.8 it certainly seems to be better at tracking humans. it seems to stay focused better than last firmware.

Upvote 0

Birdshooter

R3 and R5
Oct 14, 2019
Finally they seem to have fixed the autofocus with this update, as far as sticking to the eye better.
I have more images in focus of very small birds, like wrens and it picked up the eyes on waterfowl at a distance very well and also with birds in flight.
Looks like they have correct the issues from 1.50 firmware. I still am not impressed with some low light acquisition, and more testing will be necessary.
I remember posting that the AF was degraded after 1.50 and many here disagreed, but this update proves that there was an issue.
Great to see that Canon has continued to bring out firmware updates to get the best out of the R5 and R6.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I have never had an external card reader let me down.
I had a brandless external card reader let me down. Every so often, a jpeg would be missing a block. The rest of the pixels would be pulled in, making the image look as if you cut the right part and shifted it up. Copying the file again would get a correct image. Replaced the card reader with one from a reputable brand, and the problem disappeared.

Lesson learned, now I spend a few dozen dollars for a card readers from a reputable brand. Still one of the cheapest photography accessories I have.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I had a brandless external card reader let me down. Every so often, a jpeg would be missing a block. The rest of the pixels would be pulled in, making the image look as if you cut the right part and shifted it up. Copying the file again would get a correct image. Replaced the card reader with one from a reputable brand, and the problem disappeared.

Lesson learned, now I spend a few dozen dollars for a card readers from a reputable brand. Still one of the cheapest photography accessories I have.
I have separate SD and CFExpress readers from SanDisk. They are cheap and tiny. Brandless is pot luck for even cheap cables, batteries etc.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
So I did what I did last time, upgraded/downgraded five times and just bam, it suddenly works again. I cannot understand how this is possible, but it goes from havoc to Ronnie O’Sullivan precision with a few attempts.
I read somewhere that in Japan Software development is a blue collar job and for many of these companies(until Fuji started the trend of providing firmware upgrades) firmwares were quite basic and new MILC are exposing their lack of investment in software development processes.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I upgraded the R5 and R6. The bird's eyeAF sticks like glue and I had no problems finding distant tiny birds. But, I might have had more problems on the AF locking on with distractions around even in spot focus. I'll report back more on this and will be interested to hear from others.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think there is now a problem with focussing close up with both the RF 100-500mm and RF 100-400mm close up, say 2-3 metres away, on both the R5 and R6. I noticed it this morning trying to focus on a Robin about 3 metres away and have just reproduced it. The focus is very slow and needs a kick. Could someone @Viggo ? tell me if this method is infallible https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...wngrade-the-firmware-on-a-canon-camera.41180/ ?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I read somewhere that in Japan Software development is a blue collar job and for many of these companies (until Fuji started the trend of providing firmware upgrades) firmwares were quite basic and new MILC are exposing their lack of investment in software development processes.
This change was inevitable. Cameras now have more modes & options for QA to cover all the possible combination, and firmware has become large, so bugs are inevitable.

That's the price of cameras becoming much more powerful.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I think there is now a problem with focussing close up with both the RF 100-500mm and RF 100-400mm close up, say 2-3 metres away, on both the R5 and R6. I noticed it this morning trying to focus on a Robin about 3 metres away and have just reproduced it. The focus is very slow and needs a kick. Could someone @Viggo ? tell me if this method is infallible https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...wngrade-the-firmware-on-a-canon-camera.41180/ ?
I used the battery door trick on R5 and it worked (1.5.0->1.4.0). I think it worked the second or third time. But the first time it was a user error (I removed the battery instead of opening the battery door).

Now in the card I keep 1.4.0 with 1.5.2 I have not tried to downgrade (yet) with two firmware versions available in the card. I haven't tested at 2-3 meters but the distance was about 4m. It was a white chair (the upper part of it was like a white vertical stick so it was a good example for close birds). Unfortunately I do not have a contract with bird models :D so I do not have an opinion with birds. But I can try tomorrow to 2 or 3 meters away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0