Canon releases firmware updates for the EOS R5 and EOS R6

I haven't yet updated the firmware on my R5, but yesterday I shot a golf tournament with my R3, which has the new firmware "fix." It froze up probably close to a dozen times during the day, the most it has ever frozen up. I kept getting an error message that said to remove the battery and restart it (this message is new as far as I know.)

Today, I shot a baseball game and a softball game -- no freeze. Only difference was the card (Transcend 256gb vs. ProGrade 128 mb)

As I've noted in the past, I've had other freeze ups with the R3 since the firmware upgrade (with SanDisk and ProGrade cards). Since freeze ups seem to be random and occur sporadically, I suspect it will be months before we can be confident that Canon's "fix" actually fixed anything.

Said this before and I'll say it again, we R system users are all paying to be beta testers for Canon's mirrorless system.
Never had any problems with my memory card. Sony CFexpress 128Gb TOUGH. My SD Card is a Sony 64Gb

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GreenViper

CR Pro
Jan 29, 2014
UK
I had a short play with 1.5.2 yesterday but not a full test. I found the bird tracking improved as per Alan's findings. Didn't try to focus at very short distances but I when I switched to expand AF I did find the focus much worse although that was only for a short time.
I had had no lock ups with R5 until I bought my Sandisk CFExpress card last month. Then I got Err70 and other lockups which only needed an off/on cycle rather than the battery to be taken out. For me this seemed to happen quite often when I switched between my 2 back-button focus buttons - zone to eye. I had no issues with this yesterday. I had also done a low-level format on the card so that might have helped too. Need to do some further tests

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Had my daughter do some running yesterday. Open lawn, harsh sun behind me, her with a big winter coat and beanie shadowing her eyes. She ran as fast as she could and going from side to side several times, and nearly 100% hit rate at f1.8 (because of the sun) farther away than 2 meters. From 2 meters in it really struggled, but I shot with the RF85 so I was still impressed. Night and day difference from the first tests with 1.5.2.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Never had any problems with my memory card. Sony CFexpress 128Gb TOUGH. My SD Card is a Sony 64Gb
As far as I know there is no evidence and Canon has never indicated that there is any relationship between the freezes and the brand or type of memory card. Likewise no evidence that it has anything to do with button settings or other customizations.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
My two cents : for those who have problems with cards, try to blow some air in the camera card reader and clean the card contacts. It can simply be due to some dust on some contacts. I recently had a camera having that kind of errors and after blowing air in the card reader everything went right again.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Had my daughter do some running yesterday. Open lawn, harsh sun behind me, her with a big winter coat and beanie shadowing her eyes. She ran as fast as she could and going from side to side several times, and nearly 100% hit rate at f1.8 (because of the sun) farther away than 2 meters. From 2 meters in it really struggled, but I shot with the RF85 so I was still impressed. Night and day difference from the first tests with 1.5.2.
I wonder if they have optimised the AF detection for longer distances or where the subject is very small? It would be nice if others could compare 1.5.2 with earlier at very close distances where the subject occupies a very large area of the frame. I am not going to downgrade for testing 1.5.1 as I will stick with 1.5.2 for now.

Upvote 0
My two cents : for those who have problems with cards, try to blow some air in the camera card reader and clean the card contacts. It can simply be due to some dust on some contacts. I recently had a camera having that kind of errors and after blowing air in the card reader everything went right again.

But be super-careful with canned air. It creates severe chilling, which can crack things or create odd condensation effects on internals. It can also blow junk well further into the camera, where it can do more damage. If you do a single sub-second spurt of canned air, the temperature is less likely to be a problem, but serially doing this means that each new spurt is very much colder than the last.

Using a rocket blower is better, but also can have unintended consequences.

I think it was a 1dx where I spritzed air into the card slot, and wound up with a shocking amount of dirt ending up in the pentaprism. Not that you're worried about your pentaprism with an R5/6. Canon CPS was extremely kind and fixed that problem for me with a body checkup later. I bet it was a laborious pain to do.

Upvote 0
As to different cards and the freeze issue, the tracking we did over at camnostic.com did not at all correlate to card use. While we didn't eliminate it as *a* factor, we know it is not *the* factor.

There are a few characteristics of the CFexpress cards that do raise suspicions:
1) They're a relatively new format
2) We do know that Canon firmware has been evolving specifically to address camera firmware-to-card-firmware issues. I've personally talked to people at three manufacturers on the topic in doing this reporting.
3) Almost all of the big brands of card makers use internal M.2 2230 PCIe NVMe solid state drives from three or four chip companies, all of which have their own firmware. Only few of the big brands actually contract to have the drives flashed with firmware variants. Angelbird and Delkin have indicated that they've upgraded firmware, although in the case of Angelbird, it is a user-upgradable system, which may indicate a secondary firmware layer above the chip's firmware. ProGrade indicated last month that they were going to develop a similar capacity.

So the upshot: don't waste too much time or money switching cards in an attempt to thwart the freezes. In the comprehensive review we did (being updated now with some new entrants), I'd look for speed and GB/$ as the primary factors.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Will be glad to get the god awful 1.5.1 off, took a photo of my dog (cockapoo) the other day and had the red box on the image preview and it showed the autofocus had focused on the eye but his noise was in focus was 2-3 inches out :cautious: not to mention hopefully the lock ups will stop had another one the other day and there wasn't even a lens connected
This is what was happening to me with people. The eye looked like it was the AF target and then it was always soft. I am hoping 1.5.2 is significantly better but I'm waiting a bit longer to update now.

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
But be super-careful with canned air. It creates severe chilling, which can crack things or create odd condensation effects on internals. It can also blow junk well further into the camera, where it can do more damage. If you do a single sub-second spurt of canned air, the temperature is less likely to be a problem, but serially doing this means that each new spurt is very much colder than the last.

Using a rocket blower is better, but also can have unintended consequences.

I think it was a 1dx where I spritzed air into the card slot, and wound up with a shocking amount of dirt ending up in the pentaprism. Not that you're worried about your pentaprism with an R5/6. Canon CPS was extremely kind and fixed that problem for me with a body checkup later. I bet it was a laborious pain to do.
Well, sorry, I thought it was clear it only needs a moderate blow of air indeed. In fact, for that kind of purpose I would avoid canned air, simply (and won't use it in many application concerning cameras, only perhaps for lenses, and carefully, anyway... ).
Another point is to hold the camera in a way that card reader opening is oriented down, to allow dust to fall out of the compartment.
So, I should have been more specific and thank you for the precision.

Upvote 0

Marcus550

EOS R5
Sep 15, 2021
This is what was happening to me with people. The eye looked like it was the AF target and then it was always soft. I am hoping 1.5.2 is significantly better but I'm waiting a bit longer to update now.
Well if its any help I got 1.5.2 and used it on doggo yesterday and it was significantly better, tracked him much better, got a shot I was happy with and it was a smidge off his eye but he has some fur over so would put it down to that, the difference is night and day as 1.5.1 was useless, for me personally it was worth the upgrade to have a camera which is some what near 1.4.0 again autofocus wise no idea on the lock ups yet

Upvote 0
After updating the firmware, my R5's eye focus seems to be much better but I haven't had a chance to do much testing.

On the topic of memory cards, there have been multiple anecdotal reports on problems with memory cards causing various issues with the camera. I only use the Sony CFexpress Tough and Sony SF-G64/T1 SD cards and have never had an issue with them. Other than the shame of using a Sony in my Canon, I swear by them.

• Haha
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I was planning to let others do the beta testing, but I succumbed to temptation and installed v1.5.2...

Using the AF settings that previously worked well for BIF with v1.4, I found the camera had difficulty grabbing initial focus on birds, and even greater difficulty tracking them.

Today I decided as an experiment to change some of the AF settings, and found a dramatic improvement in bird-eye AF, and better tracking than I've ever previously experienced, even against confusing backgrounds. This is using the EF 100-400mm on my R5.

Everyone seems to have their own set of AF settings that works well for them. What works best for one person may not necessarily work best for another, depending on what lenses they are using, and various other factors. I'll happily reveal the settings that work best for me, if anyone is interested.

The point I'm making, is that in my opinion, v1.5.2 has altered the AF characteristics, such that it is now desirable to establish a bunch of new settings that work with the new firmware.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I am happy for the R6/5 users and the updates their getting. But imho it is a shame that the original R didn't receive any real updates in the past two years besides adding support for new lenses. I do see a lot of R models around (southwest part of Germany) and I'd guess those shooters would all be happy. Especially, the R´s original pricing was exact the same price the R6 had/ has but yet it was/ is treated kind a like step motherly...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I was planning to let others do the beta testing, but I succumbed to temptation and installed v1.5.2...

Using the AF settings that previously worked well for BIF with v1.4, I found the camera had difficulty grabbing initial focus on birds, and even greater difficulty tracking them.

Today I decided as an experiment to change some of the AF settings, and found a dramatic improvement in bird-eye AF, and better tracking than I've ever previously experienced, even against confusing backgrounds. This is using the EF 100-400mm on my R5.

Everyone seems to have their own set of AF settings that works well for them. What works best for one person may not necessarily work best for another, depending on what lenses they are using, and various other factors. I'll happily reveal the settings that work best for me, if anyone is interested.

The point I'm making, is that in my opinion, v1.5.2 has altered the AF characteristics, such that it is now desirable to establish a bunch of new settings that work with the new firmware
What settings are you using?

Upvote 0

allanP

Contax/Canon and medium format
Jan 3, 2014
I have no problems with focusing at short distances (2-3m).
Something completely different - after the update to 1.5.2 I noticed that saving to the CF card took a lot of time when Lens Aberration Correction was switched on. After about 15 pictures, I had to wait several seconds before I could take more photos (in RAW, of course). Annoying for wildlife photography. After switching off the correction, the waiting times have disappeared.
I didn't notice it before, or it wasn't like that?

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have no problems with focusing at short distances (2-3m).
Something completely different - after the update to 1.5.2 I noticed that saving to the CF card took a lot of time when Lens Aberration Correction was switched on. After about 15 pictures, I had to wait several seconds before I could take more photos (in RAW, of course). Annoying for wildlife photography. After switching off the correction, the waiting times have disappeared.
I didn't notice it before, or it wasn't like that?
I always leave lens aberration correction off when shooting RAW, which is I think is a recommended procedure. The problem I found in focussing on objects close up was when a face started to fill the frame the eyeAF stopped recognising eyes. It will focus on small objects close up.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
What settings are you using?
Servo AF
Face & tracking
Animal eye-AF
Case 2
Switch tracked objects - 0
Initial Servo AF pt for face & tracking

Tested today with EF 100-400mm on black-headed gulls, hundreds of them swooping and swirling at breeding site on Hayling Island.
Almost 100% keepers in terms of focus, at maximum fps with electronic shutter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0