Canon releases firmware v1.1.1 for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has released a major firmware update for the Canon EOS R6, and a compatibility update for the Canon EOS R5.
Canon EOS R6 Firmware Version 1.1.1 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:

A messaging is displayed when [HDMI display: Camera+External monitor] and [Overheat control: on] settings are both enabled.
When the RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM is attached, an image stabilization effect of approximately six stops* is achieved through collaborative control with the in-lens image stabilization.
*Focal length 500mm, Based on CIPA(Camera & Imaging Products Association) standards.
Fixes a phenomenon in which the IS capabilities may be degraded when performing continuous shooting in cases where the RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens is attached to the EOS R6 running firmware version 1.1.0.
When...

Continue reading...

jayhenington

NorthSideTog
Sep 13, 2019
Is anyone else having a problem where it seems the EOS R6 thinks that an HDMI cable is connected when it is not. After I updated to the new firmware on the R6 every time I turn on the camera I get the warning "Cannot record to card when display is set to (camera display + external display) while connected via HDMI." It will then not allow me to record to my card in video mode even when an HDMI cable is not connected unless I change the HDMI display setting to only external display. This doesn't happen on my R5. Any thoughts? Is this happening to anyone else?

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Is anyone else having a problem where it seems the EOS R6 thinks that an HDMI cable is connected when it is not. After I updated to the new firmware on the R6 every time I turn on the camera I get the warning "Cannot record to card when display is set to (camera display + external display) while connected via HDMI." It will then not allow me to record to my card in video mode even when an HDMI cable is not connected unless I change the HDMI display setting to only external display. This doesn't happen on my R5. Any thoughts? Is this happening to anyone else?
I do not get this error. Have you tried popping out the battery for about 10 seconds?

Upvote 0

jayhenington

NorthSideTog
Sep 13, 2019
I do not get this error. Have you tried popping out the battery for about 10 seconds?
Ya, I've tried to pull out the battery. I tried resetting all of the settings on the camera. Still nothing. Here's a photo of what I'm getting.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 10.48.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 10.48.55 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 923
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jayhenington

NorthSideTog
Sep 13, 2019
wait,... so no firmware 1.1.0 for R6 right?

try to change the external record settings to off or lcd display only
When I change HDMI display to "external display" (there are only two options, LCD + External or External) it will record on the camera. If it's set to LCD + External, it thinks that the camera is connect to HDMI and won't record to the camera. It didn't do this before and it doesn't do this on my R5.

Upvote 0

jayhenington

NorthSideTog
Sep 13, 2019
When I change HDMI display to "external display" (there are only two options, LCD + External or External) it will record on the camera. If it's set to LCD + External, it thinks that the camera is connect to HDMI and won't record to the camera. It didn't do this before and it doesn't do this on my R5.
Here's a gif of the problem I'm having. When I start the EOS r6 in video mode with HDMI display set to both LCD and External, it will not allow me to record video directly to the camera (as if an HDMI external display is connected). When I change the HDMI Display setting to external only, it allows me to record video directly to the card in the camera.

<div style="width:100%;height:0;padding-bottom:178%;position:relative;"><iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/YqEPC5Cbta9tZ7yImC" width="100%" height="100%" style="position:absolute" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe></div><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

Upvote 0
Here's a gif of the problem I'm having. When I start the EOS r6 in video mode with HDMI display set to both LCD and External, it will not allow me to record video directly to the camera (as if an HDMI external display is connected). When I change the HDMI Display setting to external only, it allows me to record video directly to the card in the camera.

<div style="width:100%;height:0;padding-bottom:178%;position:relative;"><iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/YqEPC5Cbta9tZ7yImC" width="100%" height="100%" style="position:absolute" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe></div><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>
The R6 can not record internaly and externaly at the same time. The R5 can do that. But i think your R6 have a problem by detecting a HDMI cable at the port. Try to connect a HDMI plug and unplug again. Maybe that resets any detecting bit.

Upvote 0

jayhenington

NorthSideTog
Sep 13, 2019
The R6 can not record internaly and externaly at the same time. The R5 can do that. But i think your R6 have a problem by detecting a HDMI cable at the port. Try to connect a HDMI plug and unplug again. Maybe that resets any detecting bit.
Ya I've tried plugging in the HDMI cable and removing it. Nothing has worked yet. I'm aware the r6 cant record to both, but before I could leave the camera in either mode and it would still record to the camera if no hdmi cable was plugged in.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I updated the firmware for the R5 - great. :)

But ... I can't update the available firmware for my RF lenses because they can't just update the firmware with the R5 & lens connected to the computer. Instead you have to download a file and write it onto a card via a card reader (which they don't supply) and which I've tried to order but it's on backorder at BHPhoto. How dumb! My Olympus EM1 II was so easy to do anything with - just hook it up and that's it - update everything! - and they gave you access to the internal memory cards as an ordinary folder accessible to your computer - great! No software BS in the way! Why can't you just do this, Canon? Geez! :mad:

*UPDATE* I was reminded to look around the house for a card writer, and remembered my old (yes, old!) Mac had one. Used it and got my lens firmware updated - yay! (I still wish you could just hook up a cable, but this worked)

Last edited:
Upvote 0