Canon RF 10-20mm f/4L USM announcement tonight

Until I get a tracker, I won't be using an f/4 lens for astro. I prefer less wide, as I often want larger foreground objects, and then shoot rows for stitching. My astro quiver: Rokinon 8mm fisheye (seldon used) 14 2.8, 24 1.4 Sigma Art's 28 and 35, 1.4, and 85 1.8 Lots more lenses will be usable for astro once I get my first tracker.

That said, I just bought the 11-24, in pristine condition, for $1100!! Took some excellent shots with it today, paired with my R5. Yes, it's heavy. It will get used!
I also ordered a used EF-R filter adaptor from borrowlenses.com for under $100. Comes with an ND, hopefully a VND... And I found a clear filter for the adaptor for under $35. The adaptor will come in handy for filtration needs on some other EF lenses, I'm sure.
NPF formula gives you 12.85s exposures for spot stars on the R5 at 10mm; 9.9s at 13mm; 6.47s at 20mm

Isn’t that a lot of light you can gather per exposure?

11-24mm great deals all around as people aren’t using it enough it seems.

10-20mm I think opens up narrow city shots and awesome group selfies and just about carryable for a travel kit.

I just did a trip through China, with just the 28-70f2L and the 100-500L.
I would have loved the 10-20mm for Shanghai’s central temple area and night life and maybe 10 group shots in tight restaurants - For which I ended up using an iPhone ultra wide 13mm or stitching 28mm single row I.e. 17mm or so.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[…]
I also ordered a used EF-R filter adaptor from borrowlenses.com for under $100. Comes with an ND, hopefully a VND... And I found a clear filter for the adaptor for under $35. The adaptor will come in handy for filtration needs on some other EF lenses, I'm sure.
Keep in mind that the adapter needs a filter to keep infinity focus, the filterless caps are more than useless.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0