Canon RF 10-20mm f/4L USM announcement tonight

looks to be fantastic:
- wider
- much more compact
- much lighter
- IS

I wasn’t a 11-24 user, because the focal range is not worth using a much bigger backpack for me. This might change the equation.

Single line panorama with a 28-70 is ~17-18mm - but it’s often not wide enough for cities or concerts. But also the 15-35mm isnt quite worth the heft for extra 2mm and its performance is good, but doesn’t blow me out of the water.

For me if this lens resolves 45mp easily, with nice 3D pop and/ or a great Astro performer for Milky Way or star trails, we could have a winner for me personally!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
What's eye-opening is the rumored price of $2300, given that the EF 11-24/4 lists for $3000.

Personally, I don't (yet) see anything to tempt me ...
Same thought here.
For me, it is still the price and the few moments where I would need such a lens that'll keep me from buying.
Still a cool lens.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Three aspheric elements, presumably molded like the ones that work so well in the 28mm pancake. Clearly Canon has perfected a new molding technique and likely using a new optical plastic formulation. Some will shudder at the idea of plastic lens elements, but they are much more robust than the fluorite elements that we have come to love. Definitely a new twist for an L lens. STM should be fine at these focal lengths as not much travel is required and DOF is huge. 6 stops of IS at 10mm means handheld nightscapes should be possible. I just might "need" one of these.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
Linear STM in RF24-105STM and 15-30 is decent, but with STM you lose mechanical full time AF if you use AF-S/One shot.
There is no "mechanical full time AF" (You meant MF?) in any RF lens.
The lenses are focus by wire, you can manually override AF in one shot or continuous with AF-Stop as it was offered in EF lenses with mechanical MF coupling.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
There is no "mechanical full time AF" (You meant MF?) in any RF lens.
The lenses are focus by wire, you can manually override AF in one shot or continuous with AF-Stop as it was offered in EF lenses with mechanical MF coupling.
Not with all RF lenses. But that’s not because of the focus motor, but rather the lens firmware. The first several RF lenses don’t support electronic full-time MF (e.g., neither the 24-105 non-L nor the L).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm sure plenty of people can find a use for this lens.
Yes, it’s fine for Astro as plenty of folks use the 11-24 with great success, and this one is wider for ultimate star trails and full Milky Way shots!
It looks stunning for vlogging!!! Like a GoPro but not puked out.
Indoor people in tight spaces, I’m using iPhone ultra wide which is ~13mm very often, but often not enough.
For architecture it rarely ever can get wide enough…
For landscape I just use stitching (doesn’t work for architecture for me as indoors needs ~28mm to stich well, which is a pain in the butt with 15+ frames)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I just can't find any use for this outside APS-C system.

How needs 10mm in fullframe?
f4 doesn't fit for astrophotography.
25 cm minimum focus distance is impossible also to use underwater (potential use). A new fisheye RF stills missing.

Looks Canon want to sell a L STM for APS-C users for $2300 bucks... 16-32 mm equivalent!
You don't need it doesn't mean there's no need for it.

It's not f4 that make it unsuitable for astrophotography. It's the flare, CA, and corner sharpness control that matters.

Upvote 0
Also IS versus none.
IS on a 10mm lens, it’s just a gimmick. The main selling point here is the relative light weight, small size and the “new to Canon” widest rectilinear lens they have made.
The downsides:
The IS is utterly pointless, AF speed on a 10 mm is nearly pointless too. At f4 most of the scene is in focus. It heavily vignettes (3 stops) and it lacks any credible filtration system. Plus…a lot of us already have the sublime EF 11-24L.
There’s not enough here for me to warrant a side grade and the negatives are too steep. However, I can see guys who only want RF glass really liking it. I’m just not convinced that it’ll be a big seller other than Estate Agents who want to shoot interiors.

Upvote 0