Canon RF 10-20mm f/4L USM announcement tonight

We’ll, that’s a really unexpected / oddball focal range. I can understand the 10mm range (there are a number of 10mm rectilinear primes currently available) to give this lens a slight benefit over the stunning EF 11-24mm f4 L. However, the long end is a bit short of the expected 24mm. Even 21mm would have been more useful.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What's eye-opening is the rumored price of $2300, given that the EF 11-24/4 lists for $3000.

Personally, I don't (yet) see anything to tempt me to swap out my EF 11-24/4 for this new lens. I suppose if the RF mount enables them to make a 10-20/4 lens that takes front filters and is substantially smaller/lighter than the 11-24 (e.g., about the size/weight of the RF 15-35/2.8), I might buy one. For me, the ability to drop filters in at the back is a big advantage of the EF 11-24/4 that I'm sure this lens will lack.

For some announcements, I'd at least be sure to stay up until midnight ET to place a preorder...not for this one, I think.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Rf10-20/4 without filters at a mid price (smaller/lighter?) vs ef11-24/4 with filters at a higher price.
Given the rf14-35/4 has corrections allowing 77mm front thread then it will be interesting what the rf10-20/4 will have

The real question is how long will canon still sell the ef lenses (not just stock left in retailers)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
What's eye-opening is the rumored price of $2300, given that the EF 11-24/4 lists for $3000.

Personally, I don't (yet) see anything to tempt me to swap out my EF 11-24/4 for this new lens. I suppose if the RF mount enables them to make a 10-20/4 lens that takes front filters and is substantially smaller/lighter than the 11-24 (e.g., about the size/weight of the RF 15-35/2.8), I might buy one. For me, the ability to drop filters in at the back is a big advantage of the EF 11-24/4 that I'm sure this lens will lack.

For some announcements, I'd at least be sure to stay up until midnight ET to place a preorder...not for this one, I think.

If I understand the tradeoffs involved correctly, the benefits of mirrorless mounts with a short flange distance is most apparent at the widest end, so I am not surprised that they can increase the FOV at the same time while decreasing the cost, compared to the 11-24mm.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If the price is too good, will be very software corrected......
No doubt. That’s not a bad thing. The RF 14-35/4 is ‘very software corrected’ and the resulting corners at 14mm are as sharp as the EF 11-24/4 that has essentially zero distortion at 13-14mm (and the 14-35 frames at ~13.5mm after correction with DxO).

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Someone posted a press release early: https://www.redsharknews.com/canon-introduces-rf10-20mm-f4-l-is-stm-lens

Canon_lens.jpeg
Canon has unveiled the RF10-20MM F4 L IS STM lens, a remarkable full-frame ultra wide-angle lens set to elevate the work of professional photographers and serious enthusiasts.

Canon RF10-20MM F4 L IS STM​

Pioneering a realm of full-frame visual possibilities, the RF10-20MM F4 L IS STM lens further confirms Canon's excellence closely associated with its L-series lenses. This new addition introduces enhanced optical performance through a contemporary mirrorless lens design with a comprehensive set of features, including:

• New Image Stabilization (IS) Technology: Reducing wide-angle distortion at the outer edges of the frame, ensuring precision and clarity in your shots.
  • Impressively Compact Size and Lightweight Design: Weighing almost 1.25 pounds (570 grams), this lens is roughly half the weight of the EF series 11-24mm f/4 L lens, making it a portable choice for photographers on the move.
  • Super Quiet Canon STM Focus Drive Motor: A highlight of the camera, especially for videographers, as it makes the lens ideal for video capture. This is the first appearance of this technology in a Canon L-series lens.
Designed for professional videographers and stills visual storytellers, the RF10-20MM F4 L IS STM boasts a built-in lens hood and a convenient lens function button on the barrel. These features allow for a high degree of customization, including adjusting AF settings, Pre-Recording, Zebras, and more. Whether you're capturing landscapes, cityscapes, architecture, or even weddings, this lens is an asset that empowers professionals in different scenarios.

Canon RF10-20MM F4 L IS STM lens is set to hit the market in October with an estimated retail price of $2,299.00. For more, please visit usa.canon.com.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0