Canon RF 200-500mm f/4L IS USM update [CR2]

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
[sarcasm] I don't understand. There are pictures in there that were taken at f/8, f/13, even f/16. If I've learned anything from this thread and the informative posts from guys like @Marphoto and @1D4, it's that if you're not shooting at apertures wider than f/7.1 you can't possibly get good bird pictures. [/sarcasm]

What is your problem? I didn't even reply to your last comment and yet you continue to make snide remarks and tag me in them, based on one innocent post I made about a lens I wanted and my personal wants and needs. It's an internet forum about cameras. You don't win anything for having the most rep or acting like the coolest person in the room. Grow up and act your age.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Okay I know I’ve said way too much on this subject but I want to add one more thought on the subject of distracting backgrounds.

There is an old saying among photographers that I just made up: “Amateurs look at the subject. Pros look at the background.”

Learning to look at the background has done more to improve my photography than almost anything else.
There is some truth to this, but I'm not sure it applies any more. Many years ago, I saw a small documentary featuring Walter Iooss, award winning sports photographer, who said something to the effect, "The background is what can make a good photo into a great photo." That single quote has also improvend my photography a lot. But I think in today's social media world, I see a lot of beginner's (rather than call them amateurs) being told that they need f/2.8 zooms, or whenever a portrait lenses is recommended, it must be 1.4 or so. I think they get the impression that photography is all about bokeh. While subject separation and nice bokeh are certainly important at times, what you end up with is lots of lousy shots where the depth of field is far too narrow and important parts of the photo are out of focus. Just my impression, anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I know I’ve been messing with you lately but this is a serious question:

How come the photos I see online and other places that I think are so dang good seem to more often than not shot using the 600mm f4 lens or some other close low aperture lens?

I get what your saying that 5.6 to 7.1 is not a huge difference and damn you provided some compelling evidence (not being facetious). But when I look around all of the photos that I find a great deal of envy are taken with the super prime lenses. None of them are taken with the lens I have, the rf 100-500.

I guess some of my motivation to get a bigger lens is because it seems to produce better images , more keepers, and gets keepers out of situations my 100-500 could not.
Don't let gear envy get you down. I think others have already made good points. Anyone investing in a 600 f/4 is probably a long time birder with tons of experience. They may also be getting great results due to great post processing skills. And yes, 600 f/4 will give you somewhat better subject separation than 500 f/7.1 - we are now talking 1 2/3 stops. The latest versions also cost $12,999 dollars and weight twice what the RF 100-500 does. My guess is that it would be hand-holdable for only short durations, and no where near as mobile as the RF 100-500, thus more missed shots. As a prime, will be sharper than a zoom to some extent, but also a prime of this focal length will miss shots due to the subject moving too close, and also being harder to find and frame the subject due to the narrower field of view. I've seen numerous "wildlife" and "bird' videos from experienced YouTubers, and their advice for those asking for tips on how to improve are usually: It takes a lot of practice to successfully pan your camera to capture a BIF with minimal blurring, and learn all about your subjects behavior and habits. Never hear them say you need an f/4 lens that costs $12,999.

Upvote 0
Don't let gear envy get you down. I think others have already made good points. Anyone investing in a 600 f/4 is probably a long time birder with tons of experience. They may also be getting great results due to great post processing skills. And yes, 600 f/4 will give you somewhat better subject separation than 500 f/7.1 - we are now talking 1 2/3 stops. The latest versions also cost $12,999 dollars and weight twice what the RF 100-500 does. My guess is that it would be hand-holdable for only short durations, and no where near as mobile as the RF 100-500, thus more missed shots. As a prime, will be sharper than a zoom to some extent, but also a prime of this focal length will miss shots due to the subject moving too close, and also being harder to find and frame the subject due to the narrower field of view. I've seen numerous "wildlife" and "bird' videos from experienced YouTubers, and their advice for those asking for tips on how to improve are usually: It takes a lot of practice to successfully pan your camera to capture a BIF with minimal blurring, and learn all about your subjects behavior and habits. Never hear them say you need an f/4 lens that costs $12,999.
I read this back a few times . Thank you

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I
There is some truth to this, but I'm not sure it applies any more. Many years ago, I saw a small documentary featuring Walter Iooss, award winning sports photographer, who said something to the effect, "The background is what can make a good photo into a great photo." That single quote has also improvend my photography a lot. But I think in today's social media world, I see a lot of beginner's (rather than call them amateurs) being told that they need f/2.8 zooms, or whenever a portrait lenses is recommended, it must be 1.4 or so. I think they get the impression that photography is all about bokeh. While subject separation and nice bokeh are certainly important at times, what you end up with is lots of lousy shots where the depth of field is far too narrow and important parts of the photo are out of focus. Just my impression, anyway.
Yeah, I’ve never been a fan of bokeh. It always reminds me of the 19th century soft-focus photographers. I’m more of an f64 Group photographer. I like straight photography with no sentimental gimmicks.

But I think that learning how to see the whole scene and avoid distracting elements is important in almost all pictures. Weston and Adams may have shot at f64, but they still made sure to compose their shots to emphasize the subject.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I

Yeah, I’ve never been a fan of bokeh. It always reminds me of the 19th century soft-focus photographers. I’m more of an f64 Group photographer. I like straight photography with no sentimental gimmicks.

But I think that learning how to see the whole scene and avoid distracting elements is important in almost all pictures. Weston and Adams may have shot at f64, but they still made sure to compose their shots to emphasize the subject.
It's always good to know you're not alone! This constant bokeh blah blah blah makes me sick!
Sure, in many situations a nice bokeh can greatly improve a picture (birds on trees, portraits etc...), but, as you justly named it, "straight" photography also lives from interesting backgrounds. Down with the "always F 1,4 " diktat!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's always good to know you're not alone! This constant bokeh blah blah blah makes me sick!
Sure, in many situations a nice bokeh can greatly improve a picture (birds on trees, portraits etc...), but, as you justly named it, "straight" photography also lives from interesting backgrounds. Down with the "always F 1,4 " diktat!
I have posted a couple examples of how bokeh can be mimicked by software but the underlying message is being missed by some. What we are doing by changing aperture is to alter from reality what the eye sees. When we look at a scene or an object, unless it is very close, we have a huge depth of field but our senses enable us to concentrate on what we want. Changing aperture is analog manipulation of depth of field. It's only a matter of time that sensors and software will combine to measure the distance of every part of an image and you can dial in the aperture you want in post processing. It will be digital manipulation of depth of field, and no less valid than analog.

Upvote 0
I am sure you will be happy with the EF 100-400mm II. It is a very fine lens and takes the 1.4xTCII well. The RF 100-500mm at 500mm resolves at least as well as the EF lens at 560mm with the TC, and with slightly better IQ. The 100-500mm also takes the 2xTC better, and is much better close up, especially with the TC on. You could also consider the RF 100-400mm, which performs pretty close to the EF zoom. You might consider the 100-500 is worth the extra. Here is a comparison I did over two years ago.
Thank you for your observations and review AlanF.
The difference in IQ between these two lenses (with or without teleconverters) seems marginal. I would expect the RF 100-500 to have slightly more accurate and snappy AF with teleconverters too. For me, I'm centering on my EF glass at the moment and I have no desire to run 2 mounts. My R8 (and inbound R6ii) are replacements form my pair of beloved 5Diii's. While I'm switching cameras, I'm not intending to switch all my EF glass. With my EF to R drop in filter adapter, I get the flexibility to drop in filters behind my current lenses. I get the option of using a Laowra EF to RF 1.4x shift adapter (currently in inbound) too. I have no desire to swap out my EF 400mm f2.8 LIS for an RF version.

I have seriously considered the RF 100-500 f7.1 LIS. However, it's cost is considerable and so is the new RF 1.4x TC, which I would likely need to purchase too. I already have ef mount 1.4x III and 2x TC III converters. So another will only be used with the RF 100-500. That means running three Teleconverters!

I like the reduced weight and slightly smaller size (comparatively, without the ef-rf adpater). But on balance, i'm sure the EF 100-400mm F5.6 LIS II is the lens for me in this range.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Okay I know I’ve said way too much on this subject but I want to add one more thought on the subject of distracting backgrounds.
True.
If you have good backgrounds then you need less background separation.
That all can be achieved with a fairly low aperture except in low-light situations.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Advice that's often given to those considering dropping >$10K on a big white lens is to consider whether that money might be better spent traveling to birding destinations.
The way I look at it, if I am going to spend a lot on travel then I may as well spend a little more and rent a lens.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I have posted a couple examples of how bokeh can be mimicked by software but the underlying message is being missed by some. What we are doing by changing aperture is to alter from reality what the eye sees
Maybe to our eyes but whatever our brains do not concentrate on may as well not exist.
Also, our eyes do focus like a camera lens does.
They just do not blur out backgrounds to an extent anything close to a lens at a high aperture..
Without my glasses, every background is blurry to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
True.
If you have good backgrounds then you need less background separation.
That all can be achieved with a fairly low aperture except in low-light situations.
Of course with birds you often have to take what you can get. But I’m always surprised how just slight changes in position can make a huge difference when composing a picture.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thank you for your observations and review AlanF.
The difference in IQ between these two lenses (with or without teleconverters) seems marginal. I would expect the RF 100-500 to have slightly more accurate and snappy AF with teleconverters too. For me, I'm centering on my EF glass at the moment and I have no desire to run 2 mounts. My R8 (and inbound R6ii) are replacements form my pair of beloved 5Diii's. While I'm switching cameras, I'm not intending to switch all my EF glass. With my EF to R drop in filter adapter, I get the flexibility to drop in filters behind my current lenses. I get the option of using a Laowra EF to RF 1.4x shift adapter (currently in inbound) too. I have no desire to swap out my EF 400mm f2.8 LIS for an RF version.

I have seriously considered the RF 100-500 f7.1 LIS. However, it's cost is considerable and so is the new RF 1.4x TC, which I would likely need to purchase too. I already have ef mount 1.4x III and 2x TC III converters. So another will only be used with the RF 100-500. That means running three Teleconverters!

I like the reduced weight and slightly smaller size (comparatively, without the ef-rf adpater). But on balance, i'm sure the EF 100-400mm F5.6 LIS II is the lens for me in this range.
It’s the difference between outstanding and outstanding plus a bit extra, which means very little in practice, whereas OK vs good is a noticeable difference. I have had 3 copies of the EF 100-400mm, all of which performed beautifully (my one, one for the wife, which was sold and then regretted so replaced).

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
It’s the difference between outstanding and outstanding plus a bit extra, which means very little in practice, whereas OK vs good is a noticeable difference. I have had 3 copies of the EF 100-400mm, all of which performed beautifully (my one, one for the wife, which was sold and then regretted so replaced).
I positively love this lens! With the Summilux M 35mm my most often used lens.
It is as good as most primes at the corresponding focal length.
It was, with the TSE 24 II, the reason why I bought the EOS 5 D III instead of the Nikon D 850.

Upvote 0
$16,000... Holy mother of Jesus!
Agreed...you know if I were a millionaire none of this discussion would really matter ... just buy them all and go have fun ... I just can't understand why they have to do this (16,000$)...or 19,000 for the 600 or 14,000... whatever ,, very few of us regular guys or girls .. love photography and I imagine they would sell thousands and thousands of this 200- 500 f4 if it were 8000$... or as the 500 f4 was 9000 4 ... why do they NOT want to sell ALOT of the new big whites ...instead only sell a few to pros and very rich people ...does not make sense to me ... but perhaps they cost a lot more than I think to make ...or perhaps I don't know what profit margin they need ..etc . but I'm just disappointed in all the new prices ..but my trusty 500 f4 MKI and my 300 2.8 MKi are just great and have served me well for years and years ... with my 1.4 TC my Bird and Nature photography will be just fine . I do buy used in mint condition and with R5 and converter is wonderful .. although HEAVY... I'm old but still can lift them ... Image quality just magnificent...but a bit angry that I just cannot move along with all the newest big whites ... guess EF MK ii 's will be all thatI could ever afford ..if I ever care to for weight issues .... pricing is just ridiculous for these big whites ... I'm retired so not much chance of saving up ... guess lottery is only hope ...LOL. and one final thing ... most of us kind of photographers would shoot at 500 f4 and 700 5.6 or sometimes 1000 f8 .. so I would not need the "flexibility " talk of 200,300,etc ...but I can see some might like this "zoom thing " .. I do see the value of the 100-300 2.8 for pros indoors where the flexibility would be great .... but for Bird and in the field it would not be necessary of me .. but some might like it ... assuming the image quality is excellent. big whit zooms is just a little strange to an old -timer ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
…I imagine they would sell thousands and thousands of this 200- 500 f4 if it were 8000$... or as the 500 f4 was 9000 4 ... why do they NOT want to sell ALOT of the new big whites ...instead only sell a few to pros and very rich people ...does not make sense to me ...
You imagine, but Canon has actual data on which to base their pricing. With a luxury good like this, expected units sold is a big driver of setting the price, and Canon has ample experience at estimating demand.

but I can see some might like this "zoom thing " .. I do see the value of the 100-300 2.8 for pros indoors where the flexibility would be great .... but for Bird and in the field it would not be necessary of me .. but some might like it ... assuming the image quality is excellent. big whit zooms is just a little strange to an old -timer ...
I agree as far as birding goes. The 600/4 II + 1.4xIII is my primary birding lens. On a couple of occasions, a bird has flown close enough that wings were clipped off. I suppose a zoom would have helped, but I got great shots on the approach.

Personally, I don’t see the 200-500/4 being aimed at bird photographers. Rather, I see it appealing to field sports photographers and wildlife/safari shooters.

Upvote 0