Canon will announce more lenses in 2023 [CR2]

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Each copy has some variance, in general the 35mm end on EF f4L is good enough. Ofc not 'enough' when comparing with EF 35/1.4L II or Sony's 35/1.4 GM
Mine sometimes "reacts" strangely at 35mm and infinity setting. Some closer areas are sharp, areas far away as well, but areas in-between can be softer, almost out of focus.This only happens at infinity setting, at more moderate distances, everything is in focus. Canon couldn't help.
So, I just don't use it at 35mm focal length, from 16 to 30mm it is indeed excellent. I wouldn't miss it, since for 35mm I'm using the M 35mm Summilux anyway.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Mine sometimes "reacts" strangely at 35mm and infinity setting. Some closer areas are sharp, areas far away as well, but areas in-between can be softer, almost out of focus.This only happens at infinity setting, at more moderate distances, everything is in focus. canon couldn't help.
So, I just don't use it at 35mm focal length, from 16 to 30mm it is indeed excellent. I wouldn't miss it, since for 35mm I'm using the M 35mm Summilux anyway.
I sold my EF 16-35mm f/4 to a lady who is over the moon with it as it is a real cracker of a lens. But, I decided to use the RF 16mm f/2.8 and crop if need be as it is so small and light, which for my needs more than compensates the size and weight of the more versatile and better lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I sold my EF 16-35mm f/4 to a lady who is over the moon with it as it is a real cracker of a lens. But, I decided to use the RF 16mm f/2.8 and crop if need be as it is so small and light, which for my needs more than compensates the size and weight of the more versatile and better lens.
If I ever replace the EF 16-35 f4, it will be with the RF 2,8/15-35 which, according to Gordon Laing (I like his reviews!), should be even better. The new RF L lenses are just superb...GAS is buzzing!
As to the RF 16mm, I know I wouldn't be happy with its corner sharpness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Mine sometimes "reacts" strangely at 35mm and infinity setting. Some closer areas are sharp, areas far away as well, but areas in-between can be softer, almost out of focus.This only happens at infinity setting, at more moderate distances, everything is in focus. Canon couldn't help.
PS: I forgot to mention this strange phenomenon only occurs with OIS switched on!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
PS: I forgot to mention this strange phenomenon only occurs with OIS switched on!
What body? I’ve taken a lot of shots with my RF 14-35 at the long end on my R8, and never experienced anything like that. The R8 lacks IBIS.

Makes me wonder if it’s a cooperative IS issue where the cooperation is actually competition. If so, it could be fixed in firmware. I admit that possibility may have occurred to me because of your use of the word phenomenon, as in Firmware v1.x fixes a phenomenon where…

Upvote 0