Canon will announce more lenses in 2023 [CR2]

Would really like to see an RF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 to replace the EFS version. Would be disappointed to see it stop at 11mm when there is a 10mm on full frame.
ALthough the 10-18 came out after I bought the 10-22 I would not swap. The handling and controls of the 10-22 are bigger and not so fiddly.
ALthough it could be a Canon plot to get folk to buy FF lenses... most of mine are, actually.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Me too, but I think that shooting fully wide open with no AF would be an issue, even with the MF aids offered by R cameras. And no way I can follow my active 9yo with manual focus :unsure:
I have experimented with almost still objects such as small fruits or insects in trees at near minimum focus distance on RF 85 F/1.2 with around 25% success. I do think with keeping at F1.2, it should be substantially easier at 35mm and the more conventional distance requirements of following a 9yo. The question then is about the speed of focusing and your child's movements. I guess the lens's characteristics are important too.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I sometimes mount a Summilux 1,4/75 on the EOS R. Handheld, focusing is a bit difficult, even with the loupe function. I could imagine the same difficulty with an 0,95/35 mm manual lens. Be patient, the RF 35 f1,2 will come soon! (I read it in the entrails of a roadkill). :)
About what rate of success can you achieve with the Summilux?

I promised a troll a night with my wife in exchange for an RF 12mm F/1.4. Jokes on him, I'm not married!

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Would really like to see an RF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 to replace the EFS version. Would be disappointed to see it stop at 11mm when there is a 10mm on full frame.
ALthough the 10-18 came out after I bought the 10-22 I would not swap. The handling and controls of the 10-22 are bigger and not so fiddly.
ALthough it could be a Canon plot to get folk to buy FF lenses... most of mine are, actually.
I wouldn't consider it a plot so much as a result of conclusions based on their research on profits of their past lenses. Hopefully what they believe enough people want coincides with you :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
About what rate of success can you achieve with the Summilux?

I promised a troll a night with my wife in exchange for an RF 12mm F/1.4. Jokes on him, I'm not married!
Couldn't say, anyway very high when used on the Leica M. No difficulty except at very close distances (between 0,7 and 1,2 meters) at f 1,4. But the rangefinder must be very precisely set! I prefer to do it myself, with a simple allen key, Leica's Customer Care is extremely slow and expensive. With a bit of experience (and patience), it can easily be done.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I have experimented with almost still objects such as small fruits or insects in trees at near minimum focus distance on RF 85 F/1.2 with around 25% success. I do think with keeping at F1.2, it should be substantially easier at 35mm and the more conventional distance requirements of following a 9yo. The question then is about the speed of focusing and your child's movements. I guess the lens's characteristics are important too.
I just remembered that I took lots of pictures of my son and my Irish setter with the R Summicron 90mm at f2, full manual, of course.
Children move all the time! Irish setters even more! Failure was far more frequent than success.
How lucky we are to be able to rely on AF!
I'd never buy a luminous manual lens again if an AF option was available. So, Viltrox, Laowa and co:, keep your lenses, I'll wait for a Canon AF version.
Only if you can take your time, preferably on a tripod, can you get many sharp wide open pictures with a manual lens. That's also a case when a mirrorless beats the rangefinder , especially with the Noctilux 50 f 0,95... Digitals are far more focus-critical than argentics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I just remembered that I took lots of pictures of my son and my Irish setter with the R Summicron 90mm at f2, full manual, of course.
Children move all the time! Irish setters even more! Failure was far more frequent than success.
How lucky we are to be able to rely on AF!
I'd never buy a luminous manual lens again if an AF option was available. So, Viltrox, Laowa and co:, keep your lenses, I'll wait for a Canon AF version.
Only if you can take your time, preferably on a tripod, can you get many sharp wide open pictures with a manual lens. That's also a case when a mirrorless beats the rangefinder , especially with the Noctilux 50 f 0,95... Digitals are far more focus-critical than argentics.
That's true - time and a tripod are very helpful without AF. Someone was mentioning using the higher speed bursts, but I haven't tried it yet.

Upvote 0
RF 10-20 - I saw a RF-S 10-20 ... o.k.
Now to decide: RF 10-20 for 2600 bucks for ultrawide on R7
or
2450 bucks for the R6 mk ii to use my 16-35 EF 4.0?

→10-20 would be great on FF for later use, 6mm are a lot on the wide end but
→R6 mk ii could give me FF specific advantages with all my lenses

prices are high, money is somehow there, decisions aren't tha teasy nowadays :)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
That's true - time and a tripod are very helpful without AF. Someone was mentioning using the higher speed bursts, but I haven't tried it yet.
I don't remember who it was, but a forum member once wrote that he used burst mode when shooting macros handheld.
The reason is that you always move a little bit, which can lead to defocused pictures. DOF being extremely limited. So, chances are high that at least one picture could be in focus!
The same could apply to a lens used at f 0,95...

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I don't remember who it was, but a forum member once wrote that he used burst mode when shooting macros handheld.
The reason is that you always move a little bit, which can lead to defocused pictures. DOF being extremely limited. So, chances are high that at least one picture could be in focus!
The same could apply to a lens used at f 0,95...
I tend to use the maximum FPS for natural light macro, but not the dedicated burst mode, since that puts everything in a single file that only DPP4 can read.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I tend to use the maximum FPS for natural light macro, but not the dedicated burst mode, since that puts everything in a single file that only DPP4 can read.
I was almost sure it was you! :)
And I followed your recommendation when shooting macros in difficult situations (wind, shaking hands, cold etc...). It works!
PS: I obviously meant Hi FPS, not burst.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I say ‘burst’ when meaning max fps as well, so I get confused by reading back what I wrote myself :)
Something else confusing for me is different companies describe things in different ways. For example, Canon has me thinking a lens with "s" means for apsc, but Nkion's "s" has a different meaning (which I've forgotten).

Upvote 0
RF 10-20 - I saw a RF-S 10-20 ... o.k.
Now to decide: RF 10-20 for 2600 bucks for ultrawide on R7
or
2450 bucks for the R6 mk ii to use my 16-35 EF 4.0?

→10-20 would be great on FF for later use, 6mm are a lot on the wide end but
→R6 mk ii could give me FF specific advantages with all my lenses

prices are high, money is somehow there, decisions aren't tha teasy nowadays :)
EF16-35L f4 is one of the GOAT. Unless size matters for you. R6ii is great combo

Upvote 0