Canon will announce more lenses in 2023 [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
most of the community is eagerly and patiently waiting for an RF 35 1.2 to be released.
Well, most of the community that wants to use wide, fast L-series primes. I'm sure Canon has a reasonable estimate of the size of that community, and that factors into their prioritization of those lenses vs. others.

But...'patiently'? Let me introduce you to @roby17269. :ROFLMAO: ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Well, most of the community that wants to use wide, fast L-series primes. I'm sure Canon has a reasonable estimate of the size of that community, and that factors into their prioritization of those lenses vs. others.
You, my good sir, are correct... and heartess :ROFLMAO:
But...'patiently'? Let me introduce you to @roby17269. :ROFLMAO: ;)
Awwww! I've just written I was going to sulk silently in my corner from now on and you do me like this?
OK no more sulking then (that didn't last)... Canon, where the heck is my RF 35mm f/1.2L?!?! I want it yesterday! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I disagree.
A 200-500 would cost so much more than an RF 500.
That would leave a gaping hole in Canon's lineup.
Same goes for 300 f/2.8.
Canon doesn't seem to care about "gaping holes" in the lineup. No other manufacturer has such huge gaps, for example, 50 1.8 / 50 1.2, 85 F2 / 85 1.2, 100-400 / 100-500.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
By that logic, the EF 16-35 III 2.8, EF 24-105 II 4.0, EF 70-200 III 2.8, EF 70-200 II 4.0 were all released after the EF 35 and they too were more recent excellent EF lenses, yet they were remade into RF with a higher, faster priority.

If that was the case, they could easily do what they did with the 400 and 600 by simply adding a permanent adaptor.

The lenses you mentioned are probably much higher sellers than the 35mm. But then Canon sometimes makes strange choices like not making a 50mm 1.4 everyone is asking for many years.

A permanent adaptor is not much of a problem when your lens is already 3kg and half a meter long but it's a significant size / weight increase when you add it to a small 35mm lens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Canon seems focused on premium and entry-level and nothing in between. The 200-500/4 will be a show stopper lens for sure, but at rumored 16K, is it really relevant for anyone other than the sports press or the uber-wealthy? What happened to something like their 400 F/5.6?

Nikon on the other hand gets you 85 to 90% of the way there, with optically outstanding mid-range super tele primes that give up almost nothing other than light gathering over their big guns. It is starting to make it seem like Canon has lost the plot.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It is starting to make it seem like Canon has lost the plot.
They're just reading a different book than you. Their book is called, "How to lead the ILC market for two decades and continue to dominate it." Your book is called something like, "Lenses that I want." Both are good reads, but the intended audience is a bit different.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon seems focused on premium and entry-level and nothing in between. The 200-500/4 will be a show stopper lens for sure, but at rumored 16K, is it really relevant for anyone other than the sports press or the uber-wealthy? What happened to something like their 400 F/5.6?

Nikon on the other hand gets you 85 to 90% of the way there, with optically outstanding mid-range super tele primes that give up almost nothing other than light gathering over their big guns. It is starting to make it seem like Canon has lost the plot.
Or more likely is the guys with
£5K to spend will join the Nikon ranks. The guys with £15K to spend will join the Canon ranks. Only time will tell who’s photos will be better.

Upvote 0
I am switching to Nikon. Canon is only stuff I’ve ever used. Love canon but they just don’t have “middle ground” lenses for wildlife photographers. I shoot only birds and I’m looking for something in between the 600 f4 and the 100-500 7.1. I know it’s asking a lot but I feel Nikon has a number of options in between. I pre ordered the 600mm PF 6.3. Goodbye Canon! No hard feelings! Thank you for making wonderful products through the years
I mean fair enough, and Nikon is doing great things, but Canon never had anything in that slot before, so why is it suddenly a problem now?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

With respect I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Nikon has to try harder because they've haemorrhaged customers over the past few years. So they have to make a more compelling offer. Canon's position is quite different. It doesn't help you as a consumer but understanding motivations can at least give perspective.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
With respect I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Nikon has to try harder because they've haemorrhaged customers over the past few years. So they have to make a more compelling offer. Canon's position is quite different. It doesn't help you as a consumer but understanding motivations can at least give perspective.
Along those thought lines...one could conjuncture that Nikon is targeting the gaps in Canon's line to try and have a compelling offer for someone. If they can bring over a few hundred or thousand users, that might double their user base. :)

I have no hate for Nikon, just a little fun jab there.

But seriously, going for perceived gaps in the line of your competition is a legit strategy to grow. Being an also-ran with all the same lenses as the big dogs is not. So they strike now, before Canon's lineup fills in.

Brian

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Or more likely is the guys with
£5K to spend will join the Nikon ranks. The guys with £15K to spend will join the Canon ranks. Only time will tell who’s photos will be better.
Let me answer that for you. The better photo will be from the better photographer, not from the photographer with the best gear.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Let me answer that for you. The better photo will be from the better photographer, not from the photographer with the best gear.
Gear can help compensate a little bit, but ultimately the photographer is the main piece of the equation. Nikon makes nice cameras, what they are lacking however id an APSC for us wildlife folks. Something both Canon and Sony have. One solace is the Z8 which packs almost everything the Z9 has in a slightly cheaper package.

Either way wouldn't really sway me away from the R7 I have.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I've been on a family trip recently and I shot many photos in dimly lit restaurants with the RF 50 1.2 ... and I still had to crank up the ISO at 3200 or 6400. I know I know modern AI NR is great, but, call me old-fashioned, I still prefer shooting at the lowest ISO possible. In some occasions during that trip I wished I had a fast 35mm since my daughter was playing with her friend and 50mm was too tight.
Long-winded way of saying that there are situations where 1.2 v 1.4 would matter.... to me.

But, while I still would love for Canon to cater to my wishes and release the 35 1.2 next month, I think I will stop repeating myself on this forum. It is obvious that Canon does not listen to me (the horror :ROFLMAO: ), so I will sulk in silence
What I will do is what I have always been doing: I will vote with my wallet. RF 35 1.2 will be a buy, RF 35 1.4 will not be
I'm not sure if I will buy a RF 35 or not, but if it's F/1.2 I'm more likely than f/1.4

Upvote 0
I mean fair enough, and Nikon is doing great things, but Canon never had anything in that slot before, so why is it suddenly a problem now?
I guess that is a good point! I suppose I don’t have a working knowledge of the historical data of canon lenses. I would say in 2023 there are a lot of semi professional photographers more than even before. If historically there was just amateurs and professionals it makes sense why canon hasn’t filled that slot. But it isn’t the days gone by and now there are plenty of people, particularly birders and wildlife shooters that won’t sharp photos but aren’t quite open to a 15k f4 that weighs as much as a toddler.

Upvote 0