Canon will announce more lenses in 2023 [CR2]

I'm surprised. What do they say?
They say it’s too much overlap with other lenses. That Nikon should be releasing more bodies. That the 180-600 is already a 600 at 6.3 but is 3100 cheaper. That almost 5k is too much for 6.3. They say a lot. Seems to be a common theme with photography crowd.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
I guess that is a good point! I suppose I don’t have a working knowledge of the historical data of canon lenses. I would say in 2023 there are a lot of semi professional photographers more than even before. If historically there was just amateurs and professionals it makes sense why canon hasn’t filled that slot. But it isn’t the days gone by and now there are plenty of people, particularly birders and wildlife shooters that won’t sharp photos but aren’t quite open to a 15k f4 that weighs as much as a toddler.

Also in 2023 there are more second hand lenses for sale than ever before. For each of the people here who claim they couldn't possibly ever adapt an EF lens to the RF mount there are probably ten people who're quite happy doing just that. EF lenses work better with RF than they ever did on a DSLR. For video in particular, the variable ND adapter is huge plus over using native RF lenses.

For many of us, the new mid range lenses are the EF L lenses we always dreamed of using but couldn't afford or justify buying new when they were 2 or 3x the price they are now for excellent condition second hand copies. And one advantage of Canon's historical market share is the much larger volume of second hand lenses available now.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But it isn’t the days gone by and now there are plenty of people, particularly birders and wildlife shooters that won’t sharp photos but aren’t quite open to a 15k f4 that weighs as much as a toddler.
How many is ‘plenty of people’? I don’t know, I doubt you know. But I suspect Canon and Nikon both have decent estimates.

Historically, Canon and Nikon had very analogous lineups of bodies and lenses. But as DSLRs declined and MILCs took over (though without increasing sales), Canon held on to their nearly 50% market share, while Nikon lost 2/3 of their market share and 2nd place in the market to Sony.

There’s a very good reason Nikon is offering products that Canon doesn’t. It’s the same reason Sony shifted from DSLRs to APS-C MILCs, then to FF MILCs once Canon launched an APS-C MILC. When the 800-lb gorilla is eating the bamboo, it’s best for the smaller mammals to find some other food source. Sony found Nikon’s, and now Nikon is hungry. Ok, maybe I’m overstretching that analogy.

Most likely the margins on Nikon’s mid-range long lenses are higher, but I suspect Canon makes more total profit from sales of the RF 100-400, 600/11 and 800/11.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'm surprised. What do they say?
Some like it of course. Main complaints are about the pricing and where it fits in. It’s a lot more expensive than the excellent Z 400 f/4.5 and so one group would use that and TCs. Another group with deeper pockets would pay the extra and get the Z 800 f.6.3. And others would go with the new and far cheaper and more versatile Z 180-600 f/6.3. And the adapted 500 f/5.6 is now cheap used. So, it’s internal Nikon competition.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Let me answer that for you. The better photo will be from the better photographer, not from the photographer with the best gear.
Yes, it's is also quite clear from Canon's RF strategy that they are preferring wealthy customers over mid-priced spending customers. Or even working Professionals who fund their own gear. They seem to be selling to more wealthy amatures than struggling professionals. Canon makes money from photographers, it makes almost zero money from the photos those photographers generate.
I'm pretty sure that when ever Canon get around to releasing a 150-600mm f6.3 type of zoom, that it will be unique in several areas. It will be super sharp wide open, unlike all of hte other lenses of this type. It's IS and AF will be way way superior too. It will be lighter and flare less in direct sunlight too. It's will also be 3-5x more expensive than the competition's version and it will sell every copy Canon can build. People will then get confused because Sigma can produce a weaker lens for £800, Canon doesn't really engage with that approach. They have already made their answer to that market segment with their RF 600mm & RF800mm f11 lenses.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes, it's is also quite clear from Canon's RF strategy that they are preferring wealthy customers over mid-priced spending customers. Or even working Professionals who fund their own gear. They seem to be selling to more wealthy amatures than struggling professionals. Canon makes money from photographers, it makes almost zero money from the photos those photographers generate.
I'm pretty sure that when ever Canon get around to releasing a 150-600mm f6.3 type of zoom, that it will be unique in several areas. It will be super sharp wide open, unlike all of hte other lenses of this type. It's IS and AF will be way way superior too. It will be lighter and flare less in direct sunlight too. It's will also be 3-5x more expensive than the competition's version and it will sell every copy Canon can build. People will then get confused because Sigma can produce a weaker lens for £800, Canon doesn't really engage with that approach. They have already made their answer to that market segment with their RF 600mm & RF800mm f11 lenses.
I am not a Sony troll. But, I have to say Sony has a lens that fits the your description of what the super Canon will be, except it's nearly half the price in the UK of the RF 100-500: the FE 200-600mm f/5.6 - f/6.3. The Sony guys love it.
This is a fair review of it from the reliable opticallimits: https://opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/1097-sony200600f5663oss

Upvote 0
Some like it of course. Main complaints are about the pricing and where it fits in. It’s a lot more expensive than the excellent Z 400 f/4.5 and so one group would use that and TCs. Another group with deeper pockets would pay the extra and get the Z 800 f.6.3. And others would go with the new and far cheaper and more versatile Z 180-600 f/6.3. And the adapted 500 f/5.6 is now cheap used. So, it’s internal Nikon competition.
This is so true. Nikon have often divided their own future market and created their own competition within their own lens line up.
Canon;s biggest RF competition is their excellent used EF lenses.
When a fine example of the EF 100-400mm f5.6 II LIS is available for less than a used RF 100-500mm LIS and can achieve similar results it becomes clear why Canon are deperately trying to create more value in the newer RF lenses.
The new RF 10-20mm is a great example, Canon have made a lot of effort to create the EF 11-24mm's RF replacement as a lighter, smaller and more portable option. In the hope that existing EF owners will side grade for the portability benefits.
I suspect that the lack of a RF 35mm f1.4/1.2 is due to a lack of clear advantage over the excellent EF version.

I own three white EF lenses and currently, no RF lenses. I've only gone mirrorless in the last 4 months, so it's early days yet. I could have bought a RF 100-500mm but I chose a mint used EF 100-400 II L because it was nearly 1/3rd of the price and left me funds to side grade my EF 400mm f2.8 LIS mk 1 to a mk2. It's also allowed me to upgrade some of my older mk1 EF L lenses to newer mkII versions.
I am tempted by the RF 70-200/2.8 LIS. In isolation, I prefer the EF version. I get TC's and other benefits. However, I appreciate how small and compact the RF lens is. If I also have a long walkabouts lens (100-400/100-500) in my bag then I don't need the teleconverters.

Upvote 0
I'm just waiting for these lens or similar:
  1. RF 10-17 L Fisheye (old tokina vibes)
  2. RF 50mm 1.4 (why it still missing..)
  3. RF 400mm 5.6 L (old EF was a success over the years)
I fear you'll be waiting a long time, at least for 2 & 3! Neither EF version was updated in their long life, though we have been speculating for years as to why.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
They say it’s too much overlap with other lenses. That Nikon should be releasing more bodies. That the 180-600 is already a 600 at 6.3 but is 3100 cheaper. That almost 5k is too much for 6.3. They say a lot. Seems to be a common theme with photography crowd.
Thanks! At least all this complaining is not only canon users. :ROFLMAO: Considering an excellent used Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM can fetch over 5k, I think it's not too much if the quality is there. I haven't looked because I don't want to tempt myself.

Upvote 0
There’s a very good reason Nikon is offering products that Canon doesn’t. It’s the same reason Sony shifted from DSLRs to APS-C MILCs, then to FF MILCs once Canon launched an APS-C MILC. When the 800-lb gorilla is eating the bamboo, it’s best for the smaller mammals to find some other food source.

That's why the Nikon Zf is a good move. Canon and Sony don't do retro, and Fujifilm doesn't do FF. Nikon has that particular niche all to their own, even if it's a pretty small niche.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Thanks! It's nice that Nikon is providing so many options.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
It's not necessarily wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. You just have to decide your priorities.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
You, my good sir, are correct... and heartess :ROFLMAO:

Awwww! I've just written I was going to sulk silently in my corner from now on and you do me like this?
OK no more sulking then (that didn't last)... Canon, where the heck is my RF 35mm f/1.2L?!?! I want it yesterday! ;)
I heard from a well informed source that the 35mm f1,2 will never ever come! :devilish:
NEVER!!!!

• Haha
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I think it it'll come, but when is the question. In the meantime, if you can accept manual, there is Venus Optics Laowa Argus 35mm f/0.95. I'm kind of curious to try one...
Me too, but I think that shooting fully wide open with no AF would be an issue, even with the MF aids offered by R cameras. And no way I can follow my active 9yo with manual focus :unsure:

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Me too, but I think that shooting fully wide open with no AF would be an issue, even with the MF aids offered by R cameras. And no way I can follow my active 9yo with manual focus :unsure:
I sometimes mount a Summilux 1,4/75 on the EOS R. Handheld, focusing is a bit difficult, even with the loupe function. I could imagine the same difficulty with an 0,95/35 mm manual lens. Be patient, the RF 35 f1,2 will come soon! (I read it in the entrails of a roadkill). :)

• Haha
Upvote 0