Canon RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS coming on November 2, 2023

Jul 21, 2010
I had forgotten the the tilt shift lenses were not officially L lenses in spite of the fact the optics are better than many actual L lenses. Also spaced the MP-E. On rethought, the 400mm DO's (both versions) were very expensive non-L lenses in spite of being painted white and yes, they had weather sealing. Maybe the 200-800 will have a green ring to carry on that tradition.
I left the 400/4 DO lenses off as they’re effectively L-series. I forgot about the 70-300 DO, which launched at $1300 (I even owned one for a while, bought used and sold for the same amount I paid).

Interesting idea to formally call it a DO lens. Given the use of DO optics in the 600/800 f/11 lenses, I doubt they’ll bring back the green ring. But maybe… It would provide a justification for a $2-2.5K price tag.

The 70-300 DO and the non-L TS-E lenses came with hood and pouch, unlike other non-L lenses. I wonder if Canon will do that here. Hopefully, but I wouldn’t put a separate $55 hood past them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Not gonna happen.
But, most importantly.... why this before the 35 1.2L?!? C'mon Canon!
:mad:

Ok well - I have the 800 11 but not happy with it. Haven't had the right conditions to try it out seriously, but I am not a fan of the extending action and the fixed aperture. The versatility of a zoom, plus aperture control, slightly less punishing max aperture and, hopefully, closer MFD, would make me consider a swap, assuming it won't be much bigger than the 800 11.

Will wait and see for this one, not going to order blind on the announcement day.

But still...
Where's the 35 1.2L Canon?!? :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
This is a great move for Canon. $2K US is the same price as the Sony 200-600, and you get an additional 200 mm. The Sony is f/6.3 at 600, so it remains to be seen what the Canon is at that FL. The Sony is very popular among wildlife/BIF shooters, and I hope Canon's IQ matches it.

Personally, though, I don't see this in my future. I try to never say never, but I already have the RF 100-400 and 800 f/11, and I don't use them for the same subjects. 400mm is the most I can hand hold at 1/250 sec, even with IS (I shoot crop, so that's equivalent to 640. 1/250 is what I like for prop-driven planes, to get just a little propeller blur). I use the 800 on a telescope mount to get shots of the sun and moon, and I usually MF those so STM vs. USM is a non-issue for me. I admit, however, that the extra 2/3 stop at 800 mm would help during lunar eclipses.

Either way, it's good to see Canon bringing out new, affordable, and creative consumer-level lenses.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I left the 400/4 DO lenses off as they’re effectively L-series. I forgot about the 70-300 DO, which launched at $1300 (I even owned one for a while, bought used and sold for the same amount I paid).

Interesting idea to formally call it a DO lens. Given the use of DO optics in the 600/800 f/11 lenses, I doubt they’ll bring back the green ring. But maybe… It would provide a justification for a $2-2.5K price tag.

The 70-300 DO and the non-L TS-E lenses came with hood and pouch, unlike other non-L lenses. I wonder if Canon will do that here. Hopefully, but I wouldn’t put a separate $55 hood past them.
I still have a copy of the 70-300 DO. I think that was the first, and it isn't great, but in some ways it does better than the first version of the non-L, non-DO 70-300, which had quite a bit of sample variation. The DO is fairly low contrast, particularly at the long end, but the resolution isn't that bad and the build is solid. It does seem like a long shot that Canon would bring back the green ring, but then the introduction of lenses with that marking has been very sporadic in the past and Nikon has been hyping their PF technology, so maybe. Sounds like we don't have too long to wait to find out. $55 might be light for a separate hood. The front element will have to be almost 90mm, so 95mm filter minimum. That translates to a big hood :ROFLMAO:.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Interested to see where in the range f/9 starts. Will it be f/8 at 400 already, or will it be a slightly brighter option through the shared range? We shall see.
lens sounds great....but this is exactly what i thought. hopefully it narrows down closer toward the 800 end. it would be nice to have the F6.3 up to at least 500-600mm mark. that would be an advantage over the 100-500. Plus i'm very curious to see what the image quality is going to be like throughout the range. There are going to be a lot of glass elements inside this lens so will be interesting to see the results.

I currently own the 100-500, but would definitely consider this if it ticks all of the boxes.

fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
lens sounds great....but this is exactly what i thought. hopefully it narrows down closer toward the 800 end. it would be nice to have the F6.3 up to at least 500-600mm mark. that would be an advantage over the 100-500. Plus i'm very curious to see what the image quality is going to be like throughout the range. There are going to be a lot of glass elements inside this lens so will be interesting to see the results.

I currently own the 100-500, but would definitely consider this if it ticks all of the boxes.

fingers crossed!

I can’t find an exact 200-800mm f/6.3-9 patent from Canon, but the various 200-800 f/5.6-9 patents shows f/6.7 to f/7.0 at 400mm. I expect the actual lens to be similar.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
From what I gather on complaints:
800mm f5.6... too expensive, too heavy, too big, too soft for price!
800mm f11... too dark, only focus center, no aperture, too cheap (build)!
200-800mm f9... why isn't it f8 or better???:rolleyes:

I am honestly excited as this should make for an excellent birding or airshow/motorsports lens (for those of us who don't have press badges to get up close and personal).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
This has me VERY interested. Today, I got to photography our three Osprey that live on the lake as they hunted. It was a lot of fun and relaxing - bird photography is a great passtime. This lens....man oh man. I would love to compare it directly to my 100-500 with teleconverters. I doubt it will be much better, but I'm very curious to see where they go with this. Will this be Canon's "answer" to the Sony 200-600 and Nikon 180-600? I also want to know the minimum focusing distance. In all honesty, this is a pretty exciting lens, but the aperture has me very hesitant to be excited.

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2015
Did Canon ever made a non-L lens with weather sealing?
Hmm, not sure. But then I don’t know if the answer would help anyway. I think (with moderate certainty) that this lens will be white, yet it won’t be an L-series lens. So what canon has done in the past might not be entirely relevant. It should have some weather sealing.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Why not? Sony and Nikon have (excellent) internal zoom (180)/200-600s for $2000. This lens is supposed to compete with those options.
Rumor says it is lightweight. That is not consistent with internal zoom. It could have a green ring which based on the past could make it either white or black, but at the suggested price point I am thinking black.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
It looks like Canon is going to continue with their affordable super-telephoto lenses. This time we’re getting an RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS, which will be announced on November 2, 2023. We’re not sure if the already reported on RF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM will be announced on the same day or not. Rumored pricing according

See full article...
If that is true, then 10-20, 24-70, 70-200 and 200-800 is the dream team... the only gap I have is about 10,000USD

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Hope it\'s a little higher-end than the F11 lenses. At least nano USM and some weather sealing would be nice but it\'s unlikely.
I love both my 600 f11 and 800 f11 (though I did get them at refurbished prices)! I've taken some amazing moon shots. Also just took some amazing pics and videos with the 600mm of the airshow in Orange County, California. So amazing how good the AF tracking was especially at the speeds the jets were doing and the distance I was shooting from.

Upvote 0
If Canon wants to own the low end and give up share with pros and prosumers this sort of lens will do that. Just look at nikon at the long end... 400tc and 600tc if you want the best of the best. 600 and 800pf if you want sharp and fast with small size and light weight, and toss in the 400 4.5 just to add another sharp lens to the mix. Oh, and let's not forget the new 180-600.this new Canon lens won't get anyone to switch from nikon to Canon, but nikon's long lens lineup is getting people to move the other way. And at least for now, Canon is behind at the high end on bodies as well. I may be one of those soon to switch.

Upvote 0