Canon RF 24-105 is won't update on R6

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I assume you have the rf24-105mm f4-7.1, if so double check your firmware (to assure you have the right one). I linked were to get it below.

What is the firmware your lens is currently on? the latest appears to be 2.0.4.

Upvote 0
I assume you have the rf24-105mm f4-7.1, if so double check your firmware (to assure you have the right one). I linked were to get it below.

Thanks, I did go directly to Canon. My lens is currently 2.0.0 and I downloaded the 2.0.4 but it doesn't get loaded onto the camera. And, yes, that's the lens I have.

Upvote 0

The firmware is not 2.0.4 but 2.0.0 and now I see the SD card has to have the disk utility put on the card? Is this so? I didn't have to do that with the firmware for the body. Should I let my Mac's disk utility to do it by first selecting the SD, then choosing ERASE and then reformat according to the size of the card.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
The firmware is not 2.0.4 but 2.0.0 and now I see the SD card has to have the disk utility put on the card? Is this so? I didn't have to do that with the firmware for the body. Should I let my Mac's disk utility to do it by first selecting the SD, then choosing ERASE and then reformat according to the size of the card.

No... all you need is the firmware. The camera does the rest. I put the firmware in root w/o erasing any pictures and it worked (just got to remove the firmware file if doing lenses).

Upvote 0
When you say "root" does that mean I have to keep the DCIM and then 100 Canon where I put the firmware? I can't get the camera to change the firmware yet. I've got the latest firmware for the lens from Canon, opened it on my Mac, copied the .afu file to the SD card. Nothing. Tried to load it into the DCIM folder, nothing again. Tried copying it onto the card with both DCIM and the other folder--nothing. I've tried every combination, including deleting both DCIM and the other folder. Nothing works.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
When you say "root" does that mean I have to keep the DCIM and then 100 Canon where I put the firmware? I can't get the camera to change the firmware yet. I've got the latest firmware for the lens from Canon, opened it on my Mac, copied the .afu file to the SD card. Nothing. Tried to load it into the DCIM folder, nothing again. Tried copying it onto the card with both DCIM and the other folder--nothing. I've tried every combination, including deleting both DCIM and the other folder. Nothing works.
Did you try the following?
1. Format a memory card in your camera (images on the card will be deleted)
2. Download the firmware again, just in case. Double-check that you are downloading the Mac version. Open the DNG.
3. Drag the .afu file directly onto the memory card (not in any folders)
4. Attempt to update the firmware again.

By any chance, is your body's firmware out-of-date? Could be a weird thing where it prefers to update the body firmware first?

Upvote 0
I formatted the SD card in the camera, downloaded the proper (Mac) version, opened the dmg, copied the .afu to the SD (and, yes, the camera's firmware is up to date) and I still get the notice that updating the lens firmware requires an SD card with the firmware on it. The firmware IS on the card. Nothing works, so I sent a note to Canon service and I'm waiting to see what they say.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
The "root" means where the DCIM and MISC folders are.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Hopefully, you've solved this problem by now, after receiving all the advice from fellow members. Don't feel too bad, I've been guilty of this same snafoo on occasion. In my case, the problem was always my incorrectly copying and pasting the new firmware into the folder(s), instead of the root directory. I learned the hard way to never put the firmware into a folder. The camera will not recognize it.

Upvote 0