Canon RF 24-105 is won't update on R6

carpenter

I'm New Here
May 8, 2021
I have tried to update my lens firmware on my Canon R6, 24-105 IS (not an L lens), downloaded the update, opened it on my computer and got an "afu" file and a pdf. When I tried to update the lens firmware, I got the message that I needed an SD card with the file on it. Well, the file was on it. The camera firmware updates fine, but not the lens.

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I assume you have the rf24-105mm f4-7.1, if so double check your firmware (to assure you have the right one). I linked were to get it below.

What is the firmware your lens is currently on? the latest appears to be 2.0.4.

carpenter

I'm New Here
May 8, 2021
I assume you have the rf24-105mm f4-7.1, if so double check your firmware (to assure you have the right one). I linked were to get it below.

Thanks, I did go directly to Canon. My lens is currently 2.0.0 and I downloaded the 2.0.4 but it doesn't get loaded onto the camera. And, yes, that's the lens I have.

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Thanks, I did go directly to Canon. My lens is currently 2.0.0 and I downloaded the 2.0.4 but it doesn't get loaded onto the camera. And, yes, that's the lens I have.

I see you have another post going in another thread... helping you over there.

carpenter

I'm New Here
May 8, 2021

The firmware is not 2.0.4 but 2.0.0 and now I see the SD card has to have the disk utility put on the card? Is this so? I didn't have to do that with the firmware for the body. Should I let my Mac's disk utility to do it by first selecting the SD, then choosing ERASE and then reformat according to the size of the card.

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
The firmware is not 2.0.4 but 2.0.0 and now I see the SD card has to have the disk utility put on the card? Is this so? I didn't have to do that with the firmware for the body. Should I let my Mac's disk utility to do it by first selecting the SD, then choosing ERASE and then reformat according to the size of the card.

No... all you need is the firmware. The camera does the rest. I put the firmware in root w/o erasing any pictures and it worked (just got to remove the firmware file if doing lenses).

<-- start Taboola -->