Canon RF 24-105mm f/2.8L IS USM Z to be announced this week

Jul 21, 2010
The post has been updated. "Z" is for powerZoom. Can't wait to see how that gets implemented.
Hmmm. Honestly, that's making me have second thoughts the lens because of that. Sure, my ILCs shoot video and I don't use that feature at all, so I'm not opposed to a feature that I won't use. But on a camera body, it's actually a benefit since at least on my R3 if gives me more controls to customize. On a lens, an extra motor that I will probably never use just adds weight, size, complexity, and something else that can break.

I'll probably still preorder it, but will have to consider whether or not to keep that order active once more details come out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The post has been updated. "Z" is for powerZoom. Can't wait to see how that gets implemented.
So that would suggest a focus (pun intended) on videography and would also suggest that the lens is either naturally parfocal or effectively parfocal with some electronic assistance. Now the wedding photographers will be orgasmic. The only other lenses they could imagine ever needing would be the 85mm f/1.2 and/or the 135 f/1.8 for those super isolated shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Hmmm. Honestly, that's making me have second thoughts the lens because of that. Sure, my ILCs shoot video and I don't use that feature at all, so I'm not opposed to a feature that I won't use. But on a camera body, it's actually a benefit since at least on my R3 if gives me more controls to customize. On a lens, an extra motor that I will probably never use just adds weight, size, complexity, and something else that can break.

I'll probably still preorder it, but will have to consider whether or not to keep that order active once more details come out.

Also, now I am curious if the zoom will be implemented electronically like the focus ring is on RF lenses today.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I will. :D

An f/4 lens is certainly a walk-around lens.
f/2.8 makes for a compelling event/wedding, even portrait lens.
What I am looking for, is a much better optical quality, like the 28-70 f2. It could quickly become my "hiking-EDC lens",.
The f4 didn't convince me, that's why I sold it, hoping for a better alternative. It is THE lens I kept hoping for.
Edit: a 50 macro, a 180 macro, a 14 TSE, a 70-135, a 20-50 are also THE lenses I keep hoping for...;)
Anyway, lots of interesting new Canon lenses. Who said that Canon weren't innovative???

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Isn't RF 24-70 weather sealing? Are you experiencing dust inside??
I’ve sent my RF 24-70 into Canon twice in 3 years for dust. On the 3rd time, I just bought a new lens and sold the old one with dust. The difference was $200 versus another $300 at Canon CPS. Now my brand new lens from last month already has a hair inside of it along with some dust. This lens is a piece of trash when it comes to sealing and I’m over it. Not once did this happen to my EF lens.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
What are the advantages of a power zoom for photography not videography? If this is indeed a power zoom I might cancel the preorder.

Not much. Maybe better sealing since now there isn't any mechanical coupling between the lens internals and the exterior at all if they implement the Power Zoom as having electronically driven zoom.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I think a lot of people will struggle between this and the RF 28-70 f/2 the same way I struggled between 24-70 f/2.8 and 24-105 f/4.
Yep, this would probably be my dilemma.
On the first rumor thread, I said the extra 4mm on the wide end and 35 mm on the tele end would trump the 28-70, but...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A power zoom may be useful to wildlife photographers setting up camera traps and monitoring it through a CamRanger from a couple of hundred yards away. A person might get a bit nervous about using this lens in that manner, however, given the expense. Grizzlies, for example, have an unfortunate tendency to demolish photo equipment after getting their picture taken in a trap.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
A power zoom may be useful to wildlife photographers setting up camera traps and monitoring it through a CamRanger from a couple of hundred yards away. A person might get a bit nervous about using this lens in that manner, however, given the expense. Grizzlies, for example, have an unfortunate tendency to demolish photo equipment after getting their picture taken in a trap.
For grizzlies I'd use a Sony. Destroyed? Who cares...;)

• Haha
Upvote 0