Canon RF 24-240 Lens Opinions?

Ive been looking at the R5 and was curious if anyone had experience with the 24-240. I shoot run and gun style and dont really like switching lenses, but the 24-105 F4 is almost maxed out on the reach for shooting from in the boat.

Of course im using the 24-105 on a Zcam with Metabones, so im not even sure ill be able to use the 24-240 on this body, but if i switch to the R5 it could be an option.

PCM-madison

CR Pro
Dec 9, 2013
I just used the 24-240 RF lens as my only lens on a backpacking trip with an EOS RP. There are many things I like about this lens. The IS works great. I photographed several waterfalls on the trip hand-held and wanted to use a slow shutter speed to blur the water. At 24mm, almost all shots at 0.5sec were acceptably sharp and some shots at 1.0sec were acceptably sharp. The image quality is the best I've experienced in a super-zoom that has at least a 10X zoom (others I've used a lot include the Canon 35-350mm L, Tamron 18-270 VC, Tamron 18-400 VC, and Tamron 18-200 for EOS M). This is a great lens for me in certain circumstances like the backpacking trip, but there is one potential deal breaker for some. As this forum has discussed before, there is strong mechanical vignetting at 24mm for those who shoot RAW and use specific software to convert the RAW images (I shoot RAW). I will post 2 versions of the same photo taken at Amnicon Falls in Wisconsin to illustrate this and the excellent IS performance. The photo was hand-held, 0.5sec exposure, 24mm, F22, iso 50. This version was converted in Canon DPP4 and is 6240 X 4160 pixels (downsized for this post to fit upload limit). Amnicon Falls 01 DPP4 L sm.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0