Canon RF 5.2mm f/2.8L Dual Fisheye VR Demo

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Watched this on my quest 2 in VR, youtube and highest quality setting. Absolute garbage video quality, I can't believe Canon would use something of this quality to demo a new product. My insta360 EVO records higher quality VR180.
Check your settings. Looks absolutely great on mine. Its your device setup. I cast my Quest to my TV and it looks great. Youtube 8k ?? For real. Please

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Agreed. They would have been much better using 4K 10 bit at 60fps as the source file, and then using Vimeo so they can make the original (uncompressed) available for download. Would have resulted in much better IQ and smoothness. Also, they choose a very dynamic scene which will make compression on Youtube look so much worse.

I am still going to pre-order this, but I won't keep it unless it ends up compatible with the R3, which can do 6K raw at 60fps.
Can you read??

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Yah, compression appears to be a big factor even once you are at 4K. In my experience, even at 4K VR, anything below ~50Mbps has clearly noticeable artifacts, and you get big benefits all the way up to to 200MBPS (H265). Obviously, if you go up to 8K, you are going to need much higher bit rates than 4k to avoid artifacts.
Your VR or display system is lacking. Obviously not processing the information correctly

Upvote 0
Check your settings. Looks absolutely great on [my quest 2]. Its your device setup. I cast my Quest to my TV and it looks great. Youtube 8k ?? For real. Please

Seems like we have wildly different opinions on what looks great. Some people prefer their cucumbers pickled though

As I said before, vr180 video straight from my insta EVO looks better than whatever this garbage is Canon choose to demo.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Seems like we have wildly different opinions on what looks great. Some people prefer their cucumbers pickled though

As I said before, vr180 video straight from my insta EVO looks better than whatever this garbage is Canon choose to demo.
i think the bitrate is too low. I dont know why people dont notice all the compression artifacts. I have a new laptop and watched it on a plasma tv and a pro 10 bit 4k monitor. Looks the same.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
i think the bitrate is too low. I dont know why people dont notice all the compression artifacts. I have a new laptop and watched it on a plasma tv and a pro 10 bit 4k monitor. Looks the same.
Which quality setting did you use in youtube? Try downloading the 8k version with something like Youtube Premium ($$) or youtube-dl (gratis) and playing that.

Upvote 0
Which quality setting did you use in youtube? Try downloading the 8k version with something like Youtube Premium ($$) or youtube-dl (gratis) and playing that.
I have youtube premium and there is no option to download.. even going to their "stats for nerds" doesn't show anything about bitrate. It's obviously abysmally small.

Upvote 0