Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS STM in the pipeline [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told by an unknown source that Canon will announce an RF 85mm f/2 IS STM in 2020.
The same source claims that a whole line of f/2-f/2.8 non-L prime lenses with IS are coming in the next 12 months.
The same source mentions that the line of prime lenses will start at 18mm and go up to 85mm. This seems like pretty wishful thinking from my point of view, but I have been surprised before.
Take this one with a grain of salt until we can confirm the information above [CR1].
The image for this post is of the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
The more new lenses the better, people buy into a new system like RF once they see multiple choices for their glass (primes or zooms, pro or not, IS or not, etc..) and especially, for non-professionals, if there are alternatives to $3,000 superlative designs... With a selection of focal lengths starting at 18mm (excellent), it would be disappointing to stop at 85mm, why not a 135mm 2.8 IS (similar to the venerable FD 135mm f:2.5)?

Upvote 0
If they can produce such a series of smaller f/2 non-L primes, they would increase the appeal of smaller Canon mirrorless bodies to folks doing things like street and travel photography.

Right now the smaller bodies are interesting, but folks looking to minimize systems size and weight with an R body are stymied by the larger lenses.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The more new lenses the better, people buy into a new system like RF once they see multiple choices for their glass (primes or zooms, pro or not, IS or not, etc..) and especially, for non-professionals, if there are alternatives to $3,000 superlative designs... With a selection of focal lengths starting at 18mm (excellent), it would be disappointing to stop at 85mm, why not a 135mm 2.8 IS (similar to the venerable FD 135mm f:2.5)?

I think we are going to have an rf 70-200mm f/4. I also think we are going to have an rf 135mm f/2. (Will it have IS? Hope so!) I don't think an rf 135mm 2.8 would make sense, at least not for years and years.

The ef 135mm f/2 has long been regarded as one of Canon's sweetest primes, and perhaps its best deal, certainly in an L (though the ef 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro is a contender). If the rf version is offered at a similar price, perhaps bumped up as a new release and to account for inflation, a 2.8 just seems superfluous.

But, I agree, Canon needs to offer cheaper, lighter, smaller lenses, not only for budget reasons, but for the sheer fun and convenience of having decent quality glass that is easy to carry around with a smaller body--and won't be such a heartbreak if lost or damaged when out and about.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
I think we are going to have an rf 70-200mm f/4. I also think we are going to have an rf 135mm f/2. (Will it have IS? Hope so!) I don't think an rf 135mm 2.8 would make sense, at least not for years and years.

The ef 135mm f/2 has long been regarded as one of Canon's sweetest primes, and perhaps its best deal, certainly in an L (though the ef 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro is a contender). If the rf version is offered at a similar price, perhaps bumped up as a new release and to account for inflation, a 2.8 just seems superfluous.

But, I agree, Canon needs to offer cheaper, lighter, smaller lenses, not only for budget reasons, but for the sheer fun and convenience of having decent quality glass that is easy to carry around with a smaller body--and won't be such a heartbreak if lost or damaged when out and about.
I agree that 135 f:2 would be great, but looking at what happens when IS gets added (weight, price, L, see the EF 85mm 1.4L), it seems more reasonable to look at 2.8 for that focal length for an "affordable" more compact alternative. I loved the 135L, indeed one of the great lenses of the EF offering but tricky in low light due to absence of IS.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If they can produce such a series of smaller f/2 non-L primes, they would increase the appeal of smaller Canon mirrorless bodies to folks doing things like street and travel photography.

Right now the smaller bodies are interesting, but folks looking to minimize systems size and weight with an R body are stymied by the larger lenses.

Definitely a sentiment I agree with. As someone who uses my M6 a lot as my everyday out and about camera the R system lenses certainly poses some challenges. Weight is obviously a consideration but there's also the issue of their dimensions, especially their diameters. It makes it challenging with my existing camera bags. Generally speaking for everyday use I prefer to use a messenger bag rather than a larger dedicated camera sling bag especially since I need to carry other items as well other than camera gear. Luckily the EF lenses are a nice compromise, I find carrying my 28/2.8 EF IS (or 35/1.8 RF IS) and 100/2 EF with my RP to be a very workable combo.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Will we have any new EF-S lenses or entry level crop DSLRs in the foreseable future? Currently I don't have the money to buy new mirrorless cameras and RF lenses but a cheap EF-S 70-200 f/2.8 and a 1200D Mark II with a (Digic 6 or) newer processor would be great. :)
There will be more entry dslr's no worries but as for your other requests, sadly I think not. I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say no more EF-S glass.ever. Some would say you could bet the farm on no more ef-s.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
How big and heavy are the associated R camera as going to be? The RP and SL1/2/3 are only slightly larger than the M5 and almost exactly the same weight. My M5 with the Sigma 16 f/1.4 C lens is an absolute joy to carry compared with the 5D3 and Canon 24 f/1.4 L lens and most of the weight difference is in the body itself.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
How big and heavy are the associated R camera as going to be? The RP and SL1/2/3 are only slightly larger than the M5 and almost exactly the same weight. My M5 with the Sigma 16 f/1.4 C lens is an absolute joy to carry compared with the 5D3 and Canon 24 f/1.4 L lens and most of the weight difference is in the body itself.

Depends on your use cases. In my fashion environments, my beloved M cams are not going to cut it except for a b cam or with a wide angle for specific shots. And its simply faster to use a bulky 5d3 when youre shooting and moving rapidly. the joystick is still faster to use than a finger sliding across the screen, and when you have 20 seconds or less to take a shot or get that angle/eye, you need solid, weighted tools to capture them.

Not to mention needing to use a 70-200 or a 24-70...so yeah.

Upvote 0