Canon Rumors becomes fully compliant

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have updated a bunch of settings on the backend to make things far less annoying, but they don't appear to have hit the live site.

For now, I would just "accept all" until my changes go live.

I have a support ticket open with Admiral and I'm waiting to hear back. It may not be until Monday.

Below is what it's supposed to look like.

admiral.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
It is a shame that the one necessary cookie isn’t listed as such, most of the cookie controls I have encountered list ”Necessary cookie, always on, these enable your choices to be stored.“ or similar wording, the way the Admiral one was labled gave no indication that it was a necessary cookie!
Thanks for everything you do for us.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I can't block something that is required by the laws of the land. If you don't accept any cookie at all, you will continue to get the popup.

I have edited the frequency of the popup for people that give no input, reject all and partial rejection.

I have also inquired as to why there isn't an easy to see "reject all" button.
There is now a reject all button. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Just a note: GDPR is a European Union law (plus UK as long as it has a similar law) - but of course not the whole Europe. European countries outside European Union are not bound by the same rules.
Its not about countries but companies and individuals - so GDPR applies to everyone out there managing EU-citizen data originating within the EU.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Of course, but not for example those of Swiss or Ukrainian citizens - which are in Europe but not in EU.

Anyway it does apply to EEA countries as well, so it does include Norway and Iceland, for example.
Its not about citizens. Its about where you harvest and how you store data. A Chinese living in Berlin is protected. A German living in Japan is not.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
I understand why the laws exist, I just wish they were easier to implement and understand.
The problem with GDPR is that they became over-ambitious when making the rules. The result is that compliance is very difficult and the rules sometimes make no sense to ordinary people. We see this in a lot of modern legislation. The US is of course the mother of overly detailed and complex legislation - but its a rising problem.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Yes, and also every time you clear your cookies. My wife has here browser set to clear cookies after every use, she gets policy acceptance notifications every single time she uses her iPad.
that's why I block all cookies and scripts and ads with various tools. I was already surfing ad-free, but wanted to support this site hence went for it :)

I get site admins need to make money and wish to support them, unfortunately most of the platforms that generate that ad revenue tend to be a bit sketchy

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
that's why I block all cookies and scripts and ads with various tools. I was already surfing ad-free, but wanted to support this site hence went for it :)

I get site admins need to make money and wish to support them, unfortunately most of the platforms that generate that ad revenue tend to be a bit sketchy
Most sites won’t load or run properly with all cookies and scripts blocked. I too subscribed to this site even though I run an ad blocker and got no ads. People have to accept that the stuff they want has to be paid for somehow.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
A Chinese living in Berlin is protected. A German living in Japan is not.
Evidently. EU laws apply in EU only - and data originating from EU are still protected by EU law - although it's difficult to protect them anyway - that's why Schrem was able to take down Safe Harbor first and Privacy Shield later, as US law is not enough to protect EU data.

I should have written "people living in Switzerland and Ukraine" instead of "citizens", true, as citizen is a legal term.

The problem with GDPR is that they became over-ambitious when making the rules.

Actually the issue with GDPR is that it sets the goals but not how to achieve them - so companies have to figure that out themselves, and they were so easy with data protection before they don't really have a clue about doing it properly.

It's a strength of the law, because if it was written with a lot of technical details it would have been obsolete within few years, and it would have been easier to pretend to follow it.

People have to accept that the stuff they want has to be paid for somehow.

There are ways to make money from ads without tracking people. This is photo site - it would be quite clear what kind of ads people would like to see here, and have a chance to turn into a sale. The problem is that those selling ads placement made their customer believe they can make more money by tracking and profiling people by running sketchy code in the browser - and then in turn people block scripts and ads because of that.

Upvote 0