Canon Rumors becomes fully compliant

Jan 29, 2011
There are ways to make money from ads without tracking people. This is photo site - it would be quite clear what kind of ads people would like to see here, and have a chance to turn into a sale. The problem is that those selling ads placement made their customer believe they can make more money by tracking and profiling people by running sketchy code in the browser - and then in turn people block scripts and ads because of that.
Peoples data is a major source of revenue for many companies and that goes far beyond the initial website. I left my browser running for 8 days without clearing it, I had 1,137 cookies.

This website is nothing different, don’t apply different standards we all know Facebook and Google are the world leaders in collecting and selling data.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
we all know Facebook and Google are the world leaders in collecting and selling data.
That's why I stay away from both of them, and that's why laws like GDPR are born. They pushed the data collection too far, and all the other followed for fear of being cut away. Thus sites like this now have to go through all the complications of becoming compliant with privacy laws.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Evidently. EU laws apply in EU only - and data originating from EU are still protected by EU law - although it's difficult to protect them anyway - that's why Schrem was able to take down Safe Harbor first and Privacy Shield later, as US law is not enough to protect EU data.

I should have written "people living in Switzerland and Ukraine" instead of "citizens", true, as citizen is a legal term.

Actually the issue with GDPR is that it sets the goals but not how to achieve them - so companies have to figure that out themselves, and they were so easy with data protection before they don't really have a clue about doing it properly.

It's a strength of the law, because if it was written with a lot of technical details it would have been obsolete within few years, and it would have been easier to pretend to follow it.

There are ways to make money from ads without tracking people. This is photo site - it would be quite clear what kind of ads people would like to see here, and have a chance to turn into a sale. The problem is that those selling ads placement made their customer believe they can make more money by tracking and profiling people by running sketchy code in the browser - and then in turn people block scripts and ads because of that.

Cookies actually improve ad revenue quite a lot, as it gives people relevant ads. I as the site owner has no access to any information beyond anonymous demographic information. The rest of the information is fed into the algorithms. There really is very little sinister going with the top end ad networks. Yes, there are some garbage ad networks, but they don't serve here. They're generally on the seedier part of the internet.

Pre-internet and electronic credit card machines, a human would actually go over your purchase patterns and they'd choose which flyers ended up in your mailbox. Now we just use algorithms.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
we all know Facebook and Google are the world leaders in collecting and selling data.

I don't pay any attention to Facebook, but Google is not a data broker, everything they collect stays internal (under the Alphabet umbrella) unless there is some legal reason to hand over data. Google's value is based on keeping its data internal, there's no benefit short term or long term in selling it.

All of the ad networks I serve through header bidding also keep data internal, it's in the terms and conditions of the contracts that I sign.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I don't pay any attention to Facebook, but Google is not a data broker, everything they collect stays internal (under the Alphabet umbrella) unless there is some legal reason to hand over data. Google's value is based on keeping its data internal, there's no benefit short term or long term in selling it.

All of the ad networks I serve through header bidding also keep data internal, it's in the terms and conditions of the contracts that I sign.
Hmm, I think that is a case of semantics, real-time bidding involves Google sharing a lot of the information they have acquired to interested advertisers, whilst technically not ‘selling’ that information it is passed to others who are in turn able to monetize it.

Personally I am not a tin hat kinda guy, I use ad blockers and a VPN, I don’t use Facebook/Twitter or any other social media and I clear my browser history regularly. My personal website has no cookies. I accept all the websites I visit are trying to make money somehow.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Hmm, I think that is a case of semantics, real-time bidding involves Google sharing a lot of the information they have acquired to interested advertisers, whilst technically not ‘selling’ that information it is passed to others who are in turn able to monetize it.

Personally I am not a tin hat kinda guy, I use ad blockers and a VPN, I don’t use Facebook/Twitter or any other social media and I clear my browser history regularly. My personal website has no cookies. I accept all the websites I visit are trying to make money somehow.
Well, if you have credit or a smartphone.. You're tracked more than web sites which merely use cookies to personalize advertising. and humans in those other industries can actually see everything you do on a personal level.. unlike Google.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Well, if you have credit or a smartphone.. You're tracked more than web sites which merely use cookies to personalize advertising. and humans in those other industries can actually see everything you do on a personal level.. unlike Google.
Of course, all I have been trying to say is that vilifying CR for compliance and a few normal enough cookies seems unfair. Data collection is everywhere and a thing, criticizing CR for what they do makes no sense unless you appreciate that and treat any other source of data collection with equal vociferousness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Of course, all I have been trying to say is that vilifying CR for compliance and a few normal enough cookies seems unfair. Data collection is everywhere and a thing, criticizing CR for what they do makes no sense unless you appreciate that and treat any other source of data collection with equal voracity.
Was there criticism? All negativity I read was addressed by CR guy through updates to how the cookie prompt looks and works. That's just constructive criticism.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Was there criticism? All negativity I read was addressed by CR guy through updates to how the cookie prompt looks and works. That's just constructive criticism.
Correct there was absolutely nothing wrong with it other than a few design tweaks to provide clarity. What I didn't realise was that it was customisable by CR I thought only supplier could do that so I learned something.

Upvote 0
Love the accessibility button.
That's what I dislike most of all. If your site is not accessible, adding an accessibility button won't make it accessible, no matter how much your expensive vendor claims it will. And because it's "trying too hard" to do things it shouldn't need to do, innocent things like hitting tab a few times now lead to invisible state changes that make it impossible to type (which is how I ended up with a half-posted message).

https://adrianroselli.com/2020/06/accessibe-will-get-you-sued.html - complaints about AccessiBe specifically.

Last edited:
Upvote 0