Canon Says Q1 Profit Hit by Weak Printer, Camera Sales

Jun 20, 2013
WillT said:
LDS said:
Apple profits are also down 26%, it surely means Apple is doomed and iPhones (down 16%) too - even if they don't have a mirror.

Nice straw man.

Canons leadsership seems out of touch..

[quote author=Masaya Maeda - Managing Director and Chief Executive] There's nothing in particular that we learned from Nikon or Sony, but as I said before, we had many demands from photographers all over the world not to sacrifice image quality, so that's what we placed emphasis on and our main priority (during the design process of the EOS 5DS and 5DS R) was to satisfy those photographers.
[/quote]

you quote the answer .. but drama queen it enough not to quote the question?

You must watch the industry very closely - what did you learn from watching Sony and Nikon go before you, in terms of offering nigher resolutions?

Context is amazing isn't it?

Consider that canon prior to the 36MP sensor ALWAYS held top spot with high resolution sensors .. what did you expect him to say?

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
that pretty much sums it up.
Missing is only the fact, that a single LP-E6N battery could easily power an FF MILC to 500+ shots in real life. 8)

rrcphoto said:
I haven't read the thread but I can guess.
a) canon is doomed.
b) I moved from canon to nikon/sony/fuji/kodak/hellokitty and this tells me I made the right choice.
c) avtvm suggests that canon could have sold millions if they simply developed the camera he specifically wants. Even though sony has it and it sells like S___ .. but the special AvTvM model will be a hit I'm sure.
d) canon is fine. diversification is necessary.
e) who cares?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
rrcphoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
you mean in the AvTvM Universe™?

If you visit, bring lots of garlic – the place is crawling with vampires.

I was thinking more holy water and an exorcism kit from ACME mail order.

There'll be at guy at the gate, his name is Pirmin, tell him the code word "Kazuo"

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
AvTvM said:
scyrene said:
It is laughably pathetic how all these people crawl out of the woodwork with the same yawn-inducing (and obviously incorrect) theory. 'If *only* they'd produce the precise camera *I* want, they'd be the most successful company in the world!'

The very camera I want - basically a Sony A7 II by Canon - would sell by the millions. No doubt about that. Nothing laughable at all. Only Canon Defense league thinks, Canon knows everything. Canon f*cked up royally on mirrorless. They could have owned that market from the very start. But they were too stupid to do so adn allowed Sony and Fuji to establish themselves. Sony would have been finished in camera business with their SLT clunkers, had Canon pre-empted them with excellent MILCs.

Please, just go buy the Sony A7 II and the lens adapters. Otherwise you just look like a closet Canon Fanboi. You say you want the Sony A7 II, but it has to be made by Canon. Just get the Sony and print a Canon sticker for the body and move on with your life. It is just sad for you to keep on like this. Do you live near Mesquite, Nevada? If so, I'd like to invite you to my group therapy sessions. I promise, it is a safe place. ::)

May your dreams be filled with lollipops and nice men in white coats. :-*

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I expect home photo printing to die with the last generation to grow up with film cameras.
[/quote]

Probably not. There's even a resurgence of old printing technologies (Hahnemühle even launched recently a paper for platinum prints...). Some people are tired of the uniformity of commercial digital processes.

It's a matter of artistic and artisan work, where you try to take as much control as you can from the process to deliver exactly what you want, doing it yourself, to obtain a unique physical object. It's also a matter of learning.

Sure, there are professional digital processes you can fully drive to achieve specific results, but how much they cost?

After all, why do people still paint or engrave, for example?

Then there are the people who believe they must follow the main stream and get rid of any kind of individuality, learning, and self-expression... just become a true "consumer".

Upvote 0
I read through the FS this morning...the are lots of little hidden details in there, and although I cant remember the exact numbers anymore ( yes I am getting old!) it would seem that the R&D is exactly the same as last years figures, surprisingly camera sales in Japan is up by 2% ( EosM10?) and overall worldwide camera sales down by 10%. The big hit was taken by the printer side. Toshiba was not included in figures but the (new) Security cameras are. The Litho division showed huge gains in sales and overall Costs are down from last year.

I think the way the market is now and probably for the foreseeable future, whether we like it or not, Canon will remain the leader. BTW Canon employs around 170000 people around the globe.

BTW DPR has just posted their Eos 80D review

Upvote 0