Canon Still Working on New 800mm Lens [CR1]

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
dilbert said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Aren't we mostly men here? My 8 year old granddaughter might complain, but guys... the setup weighs less than your clothes. Part of the gear must include extensive study with a dumbbell when not in the field. Just do some got dang curls.

Clearly you don't wear (well made) suits and shirts.
Hah! My lightweight 800fill down parka weighs more than that.....

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
AlanF said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Aren't we mostly men here? My 8 year old granddaughter might complain, but guys... the setup weighs less than your clothes. Part of the gear must include extensive study with a dumbbell when not in the field. Just do some got dang curls.

Do you strip off your clothes in order to carry your camera? Most of us carry a camera and wear clothes rather go around naked.
It's -22C here today before windchill......I am wearing clothing that weighs considerably more than my camera :)

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
Orangutan said:
CanonFanBoy said:
What is always funny to me is grown men worried their camera body and lens are too heavy. The full frame example works out to less than 3.5 lbs.

Sure, a young, healthy person will not have any problem with 3.5 lbs, but we all get older, and some suffer injury or disease that affects strength. And it's not just a matter of carrying the gear, but holding it steady for extended periods (depending on what you shoot). I'm fortunate that I have no such problems right now, but that will change.

I don't think we are talking about those sweet folks here. I'm an old man who's had full thickness tears in both shoulders and had them both repaired this year. I'm walking around now with three torn tendons in my right foot including a 1 cm full thickness tear of the Achilles. 3.5 pounds is nothing to me. If there are young healthy guys here complaining about 3.5 lbs they need to put down the video game controllers and work out a little.

There are many good reasons for small and light, e.g. backpacking long distances, where every ounce counts. There also seem to be many (younger?) photographers who enjoy what is euphemistically known as "street photography," and which I think of as "poor person's paparazzo." They want to hide their top-end, full-frame, fast-AF gear, then pull it out at the last instant to grab an-embarrassing shot of an unwitting and unwilling model who has not signed any release a true to life representation of an ordinary person who is in public and therefore fair game.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
AlanF said:
CanonFanBoy said:

Do you strip off your clothes in order to carry your camera? Most of us carry a camera and wear clothes rather go around naked.
It's -22C here today before windchill......I am wearing clothing that weighs considerably more than my camera :)

Perhaps those who wear nice suits don't want to wrinkle them with camera straps. In some contexts that could be quite legitimate.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Don Haines said:
AlanF said:
CanonFanBoy said:

Stay warm Don. Don't let all the talk about 3.5 lbs being debilitating scare you off the parka. We want you around awhile :)

Upvote 0