Canon talks EOS R3, and confirms that it is not the flagship mirrorless

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
PhotoWebExpo has posted an interview with the Head of Product and Consumer Expertise at Canon Russia, while most of it is what you’d expect in a Canon interview, there are some good nuggets of information.
The original interview is in Russian, so obviously I have used Google Translate here. Below are a few answers that are probably worth noting.
Which type of photographers is the Canon EOS R3 intended for?
Canon is aiming this camera at professionals and advanced amateurs. The Canon EOS R3 is not intended to replace the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III.
The camera will be intended for wildlife, sports, racing, and photojournalism.
The camera will be smaller than the EOS-1D X Mark III as well.
Why an EOS R3 and not an EOS R1?
Canon says this camera is a new line for the EOS R system. It will be slotted between the...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
That part about 3rd parties getting access is a worrying sign which would mean that Sigma and Tamron may either take long to make lenses or just decide its not worth the effort in short term.
I can't imagine them forgoing the R mount entirely - I would have guessed that if they weren't able to utilize some of the new mount options, they'd just use the EF protocol and be done with it - I assumed that was what Rokinon was doing

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
That part about 3rd parties getting access is a worrying sign which would mean that Sigma and Tamron may either take long to make lenses or just decide its not worth the effort in short term.
I'm sure they're working on it. It's just going to take some time. I'm hoping soon! They could've just released lenses that used the EF protocol with an RF mount and that would've worked. I'm glad they're working to do it right. It'll be worth the wait. In the mean time, their EF ART lenses work great (at least mine do) so if you need one pick one up used and enjoy it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
damn i wanted a high mp portrait camera but this i could tell this is like a sports camera by the body. guess this is a baby prototype R1 before the real deal comes out.
I wouldn't draw that conclusion. If the R3 is slotted between the r5 and and 1DX, then the resolution is also likely to be between the two. Actually, I'm optimistic (wishful thinking, perhaps?) that it will be a Sony A1 killer matching the Sony's resolution--or at least 45MP--with better AF and handling in an integrated "professional" body. The integrated body being smaller than the 1DX body is, for me, one of the most attractive features. Note that the Sony is already targeting this same audience, so I don't see how Canon can introduce a camera that doesn't at least match the Sony feature for feature including resolution and video.

I'll let other's speculate on what the R1 will offer. Perhaps it's a global sensor and QPAF that aren't quite ready yet.

The good thing about it not being the flagship camera is that perhaps the R3 might undercut the Sony A1 in price (maybe $5995? again, probably wishful thinking).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com

Canon never opened up the EF mount. Opening the RF mount to third parties would require Canon to invest in supporting third party manufacturers, and that would likely be a logistical hassle.

I think the decision for third parties is if they want to go all-in on the RF technologies like the control ring.

• Sad
Upvote 0
"Wildlife, sports, racing, and photojournalism" sound very much like the bread and butter for the 1DXIII, even if the R3 is not supposed to replace it.
true. So the EOS R3 ist for: surprise, surprise: EVERYONE.

(what other categories of photography are there that do not fit this designation??) LOL

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Well they certainly shared the RF mount with Red. And this explains why Canon is allowed to use the higher compressed raw flavors in camera.
Canon shared the EF mount with RED and Canon RAW Light has been around a long time.
(I was surprised to see that the first RED Cameras had PL and Nikon mounts)

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

"What’s the future of the EOS M system?

Canon couldn’t comment on the future of the system, but in this interview, the EOS M system was called “well equipped”. I’m not sure many would agree with that, but what do I know?"

About what I expected from Canon. In my vision, the M will go on for a few more years with pretty boring minor body updates, maybe an extra prime or new version of a slow kit lens. Then will slowly fade away with fewer and fewer updates but probably will never be officially discontinued.

Upvote 0