Canon talks EOS R3, and confirms that it is not the flagship mirrorless

Jan 29, 2011
Funny, you claim someone else doesn’t know what they’re talking about then proceed to spout nonsense about image ‘diversion’.

Incidentally, my 1D X can produce very sharp images, without diversion, sinestration or farkenluffle.
Neuro wins word of the day!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Sure, just put an R5 image and a 1Dx image next to eachother and there is absolutely no difference in sharpness. Whatever bro! In my opinion Canon has -with the R5- finally produced a camera that is crispy sharp. A little too late unfortunately with all semi pro’s and even pro’s made the switch to Sony.
You are correct, there is absolutely no difference in sharpness!

1620332173572.png

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sure, just put an R5 image and a 1Dx image next to eachother and there is absolutely no difference in sharpness. Whatever bro! In my opinion Canon has -with the R5- finally produced a camera that is crispy sharp. A little too late unfortunately with all semi pro’s and even pro’s made the switch to Sony.
Lol @ claims of the mass exodus to Sony that is not supported by any market data.

Impressive how you completely ignored your terminology fail, bravo.

And if you have a 1D X and can't get sharp images, that's what the IT folks call a wetware error. Yes, the R5 has a different OLPF/AA filter, and that means different post-processing approaches are needed, but good RAW converters handle the necessary sharpening exceptionally well from either body. And sure, the extra MP of the R5 help when not viewing at 100%, but that's just basic optics.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
That part about 3rd parties getting access is a worrying sign which would mean that Sigma and Tamron may either take long to make lenses or just decide its not worth the effort in short term.
This was always Canon's (and Nikon's) policy. But today 3rd party lens makers should have better tools for quicker analysis of different settings and therefore faster reverse engineering.

Upvote 0

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
Berowne said:
Quad-Pixel is what I would believe, high Megapixel not. The R3 looks more like a Sport-Camera.

As I said. :)

This camera seems designed to be a 1D-lite with a lower price point, suspected higher MP and slower burst speed than a 1D/R1. This is how my brain is categorizing the R3 at present: R6 is to R5 as R3 is to R1. Pure speculation, but possible.
There have to be numerous Canon buyers who cant afford or need a 1D but would look at something nicer than a R5/5D. This thinking proved sound regarding the RP and 6D/R6 series.
Anecdote: I shot with high megapixel 5DSr for several years (as a product shooter) and it helped me with my product photo business, but it often hurt my street photography. Given my shoot style and content, I would never go for a purely high-MP body again. I could easily be wrong, but a camera aimed at "photojournalists" sounds good for street photography, if the body size is favorable. So I could be talked into a camera that fits my street photo mentality. I respect high-MP, but the cons are too many for me.

Quad-P is likely, given the BSI, plus refined/faster AF and cooler operation. High megapixel is very unlikely.
Given the problems with high-MP sensors, it makes sense to have the high-MP camera come dead last.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I still can't figure out how the R3 slots in below the 1Dx3 based on the limited info we have received. The R3 will be faster, likely more resolution, have a BSI sensor, also fully weather sealed pro build with a built in grip, have better autofocus and most likely better video (assumption given that it is mirrorless). What features does the 1Dx3 have that the R3 would be lacking?

What is it that makes the 1Dx3 better, especially considering that the 1Dx3 cannot accept any of the great new RF glass whereas the R3 can take EF glass?

Upvote 0
I still can't figure out how the R3 slots in below the 1Dx3 based on the limited info we have received. The R3 will be faster, likely more resolution, have a BSI sensor, also fully weather sealed pro build with a built in grip, have better autofocus and most likely better video (assumption given that it is mirrorless). What features does the 1Dx3 have that the R3 would be lacking?

What is it that makes the 1Dx3 better, especially considering that the 1Dx3 cannot accept any of the great new RF glass whereas the R3 can take EF glass?
Well, I think the comparing was generalization 1D (R1) line vs R3 line.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Well, I think the comparing was generalization 1D (R1) line vs R3 line.
In the interview with the Russian Canon Rep, the question was asked of which type of photographers is the Canon EOS R3 intended for. The translated response:
“The Canon R3 is not intended to replace the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III. The camera will be intended for wildlife, sports, racing and photojournalism.”

Umm...isn't that the exact same target market as the 1Dx3? How is that not replacing the 1Dx3 other than the number "3" behind the model vs. "1"? Is this just marketing doublespeak by Canon?

And I don't think that it was a generalization of the "1" line vs "3" line. As per Canon's April 14th development announcement: "This camera will usher in a new category to the EOS R system, positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1DX Mark III cameras."

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
In the interview with the Russian Canon Rep, the question was asked of which type of photographers is the Canon EOS R3 intended for. The translated response:
“The Canon R3 is not intended to replace the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III. The camera will be intended for wildlife, sports, racing and photojournalism.”

Umm...isn't that the exact same target market as the 1Dx3? How is that not replacing the 1Dx3 other than the number "3" behind the model vs. "1"? Is this just marketing doublespeak by Canon?

And I don't think that it was a generalization of the "1" line vs "3" line. As per Canon's April 14th development announcement: "This camera will usher in a new category to the EOS R system, positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1DX Mark III cameras."
Think Ford Ranger vs F-150. Same market, different tool. ;)

Upvote 0

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
Think Ford Ranger vs F-150. Same market, different tool. ;)
Yeah, I agree. A 1D and a supposed 1R will differ from a 3R in one main way: the 1D/1R will put burst shoot speed and buffer size as its number one priority, maybe followed by a beefed-up autofocus tracking system. This will cause the sensor to be rather small (20-26mp or so), but allow for massive runs of action shots at 1/500.
Presumably an R3 will be more of a hybrid of a 5R and 1D/R1.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yeah, I agree. A 1D and a supposed 1R will differ from a 3R in one main way: the 1D/1R will put burst shoot speed and buffer size as its number one priority, maybe followed by a beefed-up autofocus tracking system. This will cause the sensor to be rather small (20-26mp or so), but allow for massive runs of action shots at 1/500.
Presumably an R3 will be more of a hybrid of a 5R and 1D/R1.
No I don’t see that, the 1R will have to have one or two big features over the R3, and at this point I’d expect it to be a global shutter, which is a $2,000 option on the cinema cameras already.

Buffer sizes are unlimited already, fps really have become something of a sideshow too. If an R5 can do 20 fps at 45mp, a 26mp R1 would be well over 40 fps.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
No I don’t see that, the 1R will have to have one or two big features over the R3, and at this point I’d expect it to be a global shutter, which is a $2,000 option on the cinema cameras already.

Buffer sizes are unlimited already, fps really have become something of a sideshow too. If an R5 can do 20 fps at 45mp, a 26mp R1 would be well over 40 fps.
I think the R3 will be sports camera at 50mp, R1 studio camera at 100mp, with global shutter to flash sync at any speed.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I think the R3 will be sports camera at 50mp, R1 studio camera at 100mp, with global shutter to flash sync at any speed.
Time will tell, but I disagree on a 'studio' 1-series. Canon unified the 1D (generally thought of as 'sports') and 1Ds (generally thought of as 'studio') lines into the 1D X as the sole flagship model, in large part due to the contraction of the professional market. That trend has continued, so I highly doubt they will split the 1-series back into two lines, or offer something less than a 1-series for pro sports photographers. The R3 is aimed at the high-end enthusiast market, a 'baby 1-series' so to speak. It will have a relatively high MP count, fast frame rate, good build. The R1 will be a replacement for the 1D X III, and will be broadly similar to it in intent (not too high in MP, blazing frame rate, tank-like build, and I do agree on the global shutter).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I don’t see anyway Canon are going to change the 1 series market segment like that. The R1 will have higher fps than the R3 and lower mp. The global shutter will be so that motion is stopped in sports, it will provide new possibilities for some sports shots. I’m thinking golf swings with no curve in the club, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I don’t see anyway Canon are going to change the 1 series market segment like that. The R1 will have higher fps than the R3 and lower mp. The global shutter will be so that motion is stopped in sports, it will provide new possibilities for some sports shots. I’m thinking golf swings with no curve in the club, etc.
I believe that the R3 will replace the 1Dx3 as Canon's pro sports shooter despite what Canon marketing says. Didn’t they also say that the R5 wasn't replacing the 5D series when in fact it did?

Also, the tilt shift lens article talks about a coming high mp camera. The R1?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I believe that the R3 will replace the 1Dx3 as Canon's pro sports shooter despite what Canon marketing says. Didn’t they also say that the R5 wasn't replacing the 5D series when in fact it did?

Also, the tilt shift lens article talks about a coming high mp camera. The R1?
Customers, whether pro or otherwise, rarely like to 'step down'. Replacing their 1-series with an R3? Not a good strategy on Canon's part.

As for the high-MP camera, more likely an R5s.

Upvote 0