Canon Third Quarter 2019 Financials

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'd preorder a high res mirrolrless or 5dsr replacement today if they announced it. My system is pushing 7yrs old and it's time for an upgrade. I'm really hoping Canon puts out some new cameras early next year. I don't want to look at other brands but if Canon keeps kicking the can down the road I might have to.
I love that my 7 year old body (5D3) still works as well as the day I bought it and I can hopefully rely on it for years if Canon doesn't start selling what I would prefer instead at a price point for my budget. Now if my 55 year old body still worked as well as.....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So Canon are in limbo until they pad out the R series with more camera bodies as it sure feels its not for a lack of excellent lenses that established uses don’t feel the need to switch to mirrorless.

March 2020 seems to be the word in the forums when we all rush to buy but I’m not convinced following the recent rumours that Canon are still considering things to add to its pro mirrorless line.

They aren't in limbo, but they rarely "leak" a new camera through an interview. I think the EOS RP was the only one that came out during an interview. I wouldn't expect it to happen again. Canon rarely shows their hand. "considering" in Canonspeak can mean just about anything really.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
They aren't in limbo, but they rarely "leak" a new camera through an interview. I think the EOS RP was the only one that came out during an interview. I wouldn't expect it to happen again. Canon rarely shows their hand. "considering" in Canonspeak can mean just about anything really.
I sort of hope thay are in Limbo (financially speaking) and its not as gloomy as those figures suggest and new cameras are just around the corner. Let’s hope that is the news for the shareholders.

Upvote 0
Me too! Even though I'm getting an M6 Mark II and will upgrade that to an M5 Mark II.. I still want that hi res EOS R camera, which I'm sure will be more "pro" than the EOS R.

I'm of the belief that 2020 is going to be a huge and quite fun year.
Having enjoyed the 5DS for redwoods and weddings (set medium), I find the EOS R plenty high res already. But will consider what comes next too. Cheers, M. D. Vaden, the redwood guy.

Betten_Plaid_2000mdv.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
You lost me Ethan. However, my recent heart surgery seems to have failed since my heart is still torn between what I want and what I need. :love:

Jack

From wikipedia:

""You Can't Always Get What You Want" is a song by the Rolling Stones on their 1969 album Let It Bleed. Written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards"

Fifty years ago (?!):

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime
You'll find
You get what you need

...now there's a thread--what gear were you using fifty years ago... in 1969?

Me?

...wiki again to the rescue:

...bought that baby at a drug store!

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The market is hurting, and still is. It’s to be expected though. When 75% of the entire market decides to up and change their mounts within a few weeks of each other things are going to go bad.

I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Canon had continued with the EF mount while allowing EF-R (like EF-S but FF) lenses. Consumers hate confusion and being able to say "no adapter need" for their FF mirrorless might have won over a lot of cautions consumers.

RF is probably better for the long run. But the mount shakeup is no doubt hurting the market.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Canon had continued with the EF mount while allowing EF-R (like EF-S but FF) lenses. Consumers hate confusion and being able to say "no adapter need" for their FF mirrorless might have won over a lot of cautions consumers.

RF is probably better for the long run. But the mount shakeup is no doubt hurting the market.

I was also hoping Canon would keep the EF mount but after the fact they introduced RF Mount I looked at the history of Canon and found that Canon is one of the companies that have changed SLR Lens mount very aggressively.

R Mount 1959 till 1964
FL Mount 1964 till 1971
FD Mount 1971 till 1987
EF Mount 1987 and counting
EF-S Mount 2003 and Counting
EF-M Mount 2012 and counting
RF Mount 2018 and counting

After looking at that data above I am not too surprised with Canon's decision to introduce a new mount and it makes perfect business sense because they can sell all the same FL lens again to their customers at a higher price than their EF counter parts. Something that does not makes sense to me is at this point Canon has at least 3 active mounts (EF, EF-M and RF). Obviously I am assuming EF-S is dead already. I thought Canon would kill EF-M at some point but this news says that EF-M mount cameras are number one selling cameras across the globe. So it sounds like Canon will continue with all 3 mounts and at some point they will stop producing EF lenses and RF and EF-M mount will continue as is. To me it makes sense to have a RF and a RF-S mount like EF and EF-S where people can graduate to full frame cameras and continue to use some of their RF glass but Canon obviously thinks otherwise.

Upvote 0
No surprise to me though, as someone who eagerly upgrade non L lens to L, from a 40D to 5D mk 3 and saw huge improvement in usable max aperture and ISO, that was what the multi grand budget brings for satisfaction, but since then nothing have improved in the way that tempts me from spending another 2k+ on a new body or lens, even the Sony sensor advancement have a bit of temptation, in most cases it don't bring the push enough for me to justify the spendings.

I bet most ppl out there in the wild do have similar feelings, the tech was so mature for so long that the cycle of luring ppl to upgrade have been lengthened to 8-10 years or even more, just like old film era. So unless it's entry level systems gets much cheaper or better that can attract the young guys into the hobby I don't see ppl dived into the hobby to upgrade as in the early 2000s

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I waited for Canon to deliver a 5DsR II right after 5D4 but nothing
I would have bought a 7d3. Canon seemed to have killed that line
I am still hoping there will be a M5 II
I am waiting for a high resolution EOS R

I am guessing a M5 II with great AF, 14 FPS with AF, AE and focus tracking and a weather sealed body will be a instant hit with wildlife photographers
I am sure at least a few like me who would buy one if Canon would release something they are waiting for but Canon is taking their own sweet time.
I like all the RF glass but without a high res body I do not want to invest in to that mount yet.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
From wikipedia:

""You Can't Always Get What You Want" is a song by the Rolling Stones on their 1969 album Let It Bleed. Written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards"

Fifty years ago (?!):

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime
You'll find
You get what you need

...now there's a thread--what gear were you using fifty years ago... in 1969?

Me?

...wiki again to the rescue:

...bought that baby at a drug store!

Surprisingly, it took me until about 1974 to finally get the F1N, which served me well for many years.

Jack

Upvote 0
Well, I have a load of money to hand over to Canon as soon as the pro R bodies hit the market. Would have ordered the 24-70 and 70-200 already otherwise.
I could imagine more people feel the same way so 2020 could be quite ok actually.

While I am not in for an EOS R pro body at the time because I want a small two (three) body setup Canon the same here: To much in move in the last 5 years in the camera market. Canon lenses are well good enough for me (60mm 100mm Macro, 70-200 4.0 IS USM i, EF-M 32, 5.6 400, just the 10-22 EF-S lens) but I need a good body.

What "good" means for me: The M50 is 90% there IQ wise, 100% from the haptic ergonomics but only 50% from the ergonomics of changing settings so I am waiting for a M50 or M5 version 2.

Use the M50 features, give it 2 more direct controls, IBIS, full sensor 4k, LinearPCM and noise "free" analog circuitry for video and USB-C for charging / operating the camera @ roughly 1000 bucks and I will go to the next shop and by two of them!

Plus some RP like implementation with ~ 30 MPix and good DR for those situations where I need better ISO and to reuse my f/1.4 50mm S.S.C. lens which is very good wide open and excellent @ f/4 ... f/5.6 at least in the APS-C sensor area ... you will get another 1500 EUR.

Add an EF-M 2.0 15mm and an EF-M 2.0 64mm Macro lens and you will get another 1200 Bucks.

And yes: The grass is not greener on Sonys and Nikons pastures. The net green qualities are more or less the same, but I am used with Canon ergonomics and have my collection of not so representative but very good lenses.

I was often shortly before buying a 2nd M50 because this camera is a true gem for taking phots, but I would like to have at least 30% more on the ergonomics side!

Bottom line: The first thing I bought since 10/2018 from Canon was a Selphy 1300 last week but where is a vacuum for upgrading "real photography hardware" for my "normal" purposes.

Upvote 0
I will buy a new generation camera to replace my 5D IV if it has significantly improved autofocus and has focus bracketing. I don‘t feel an absolute need for more resolution but it would be nice to have sharper cropped wildlife photos.

I will possibly replace my wider lenses if it turns out that they can’t bracket focus. I’m not happy that the 16-35/2.8 II and 24-70/2.8 II are not on the current list of supporting lenses.

Upvote 0

Judging by the questions asked on Amazon, most consumers live in a constant state of confusion regardless of how simple the products offered are. Every EF lens has a hundred people asking 'will this work on my 200D/7D/60D?' - a lot of people seem not to understand the very concept of a system, nor what EF means. So maybe it doesn't matter that they introduced a new line (from that point of view), because most consumers will always ask on a case by case basis if lens X is compatible with body Y.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Me too! Even though I'm getting an M6 Mark II and will upgrade that to an M5 Mark II.. I still want that hi res EOS R camera, which I'm sure will be more "pro" than the EOS R.

I'm of the belief that 2020 is going to be a huge and quite fun year.
I really want the m5 Mark II as a poor man's 7d2 upgrade. I would have pulled the trigger already on the m6 mark ii but i want to be able to use external flash.

Upvote 0
I'm stockpiling cash, trying not to buy right now until the pro-level R comes out, and until I get a better idea of what sort of amazing RF lenses they are coming out with. Then, there is going to be some serious spending. At the moment, I own an EOS R, but own only EF lenses to use on it.

Upvote 0
Aside from Canon's imaging system performance talk, the part I find most puzzling is Canon's cinema business. As we know, Canon had previously re-classified the entire segment into Industry and Others. This segment was not doing well at the time and would have impacted their Imaging system results further had it not been reclassified.

It has now been 3 consecutive quarters with nary a mention. As reported by YM Cinema in May, Canon was bleeding cinema sales.

All I can garner from the materials and likewise from the previous quarter is that network camera sales are somewhat doing well. I know Canon's bread and butter is stills/consumer cameras, but I am really wondering if their Cinema venture was a smart move at all. It's been said companies like Blackmagic (us) and Kinefinity (asia) have been eating their lunch, but all of those companies, including RED and ARRI are private and have no publicly available reporting to review.

Upvote 0