Canon to add 24p recording to the Canon EOS 90D, Canon EOS RP & Canon EOS M6 Mark II

May 11, 2017
So it was Canon intentionally castrating feature via firmware and not some "compromise" as claimed by their engineers. If it stops raining then finally I will be able go out and shoot macro with my 90D which is in drybox along with all mg glass.
As far as I know, Canon engineers didn't claim anything. It was all internet speculation. We really don't know why Canon did not put 24 fps in the original package, but we do know that Canon says it made a mistake and it is fixing it.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This sequence of updates is all about money and manipulation. 90D must really be struggling. They want people to buy it even if they prefer the M6II. Why else would they put the M6II out to mid 2020? Technical difficulties? Please.
You have got it completely wrong. Canon said it was in response to customer feedback. So, there must have been much more feedback from 90D buyers which means more 90Ds have been sold and the M6II must be the struggling one.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Is it, though?
Live news, sports, soap operas, sit coms... yeah they are running at 30. But your TV dramas a lot of times these days are being shot on Arris and Reds etc... running 24. Plus all the feature films. It’s still a dominant format and will be for a long time. I understand for the average joe it’s less of an issue. And sure, most casual users who pick up an ILC to video, dont know/care. But one thing recent history has shown is there is a real appetite out there from the smaller film maker / hobbiest who use ILCs. It’s what has made certain offerings from sony fuji panasonic more popular each product generation. No, they arent gonna destroy Canon. But it shows there is a growing market segment out there that Im glad Canon is getting back to. I really like my EOS R which I got for the video features.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I hope they'll add the 4K 1:1 crop mode of the 90D to the M6-II as well in that update.

There’s no 1:1 4K crop mode on the 90D. It’s 3:2. And the reason the M6II doesn’t have it is almost 100% certainly thermal concerns. According to Gordon Laing the 90D can shoot uncropped 4K about 6*30min without pausing to cool down, but cropped 4K only a bit over 30 min at a time. Meanwhile the M6II with its lesser heat rejection capacity could only record about 45 min of (uncropped) 4K before shutting down.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Brilliant, now we can stop all the whining about it. Wonder if all the big YouTube channels will cover the update like they did the new AF updates ;)
Actually, I can't recall seeing major reviewers covering the 1.4 firmware update. just rank and file photographers. I could have missed a review depending. One, Polin, commented, but he also said people have to dig in the menu to use eye AF, which means he lacks experience. Other photographers were replying how they can configure without needing to dig in the menu.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
So wait...the amount of feedback that Canon got for giving the EOS R 120fps in 720p and they're not even going to update the EOS R's 120fps to 1080p even though we all know it's capable of doing so?! Ugh...
Only one canon stills camera has 120fps in 1080 and that is the 1DX MK II back when the EOS R was released. so that actually might be a hardware thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
As far as I know, Canon engineers didn't claim anything. It was all internet speculation. We really don't know why Canon did not put 24 fps in the original package, but we do know that Canon says it made a mistake and it is fixing it.
We know why. It's called money.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
They thought they could get over on people by screwing them over. All the never feedback must have be damaging. But according to Canonrumors members, our feedback doesnt mean anything we should just let Canon make money by giving us whatever they feel like. No question asked.
Or, a much likelier possibility.... They didn't think anyone still used it or cared about it, and they were wrong so they put it back in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
So now there's really no reason to not get an M6 ii. I'm not really in the market for a new camera, but if I was the M6 ii (with the added EVF) looks very capable. The lack of 24p would be a good excuse to not get the camera, especially since most previous cameras would do 24p. I think the other thing that pissed people off was that this was obviously software/FW crippling, and not anything inherent to a technical limitation.

Upvote 0
Good to see them listen to feedback. But still too little too late for me. I'm not investing any more in Canon gear, they are too slow and stingy with features. I'll use my M6 system as a pocket camera for a while longer. By the time the M6 II firmware is out, I'm betting the Sony A7s III will be ready.... which will be my next system. The EOS-R setup will take many years to catch up. Of course I'll watch the development, I have a soft spot in my heart for Canon after years using the 5D models (and analog Canon's before that). Unfortunately, Canon threw in the towel on the video side of small cameras after the 5D2, and Sony and Panasonic stole the show.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Or, a much likelier possibility.... They didn't think anyone still used it or cared about it, and yhey were wrong so they put it back in.

There is no possibility this is true when 24p is such a popular framerate. I think Canon chose to skimp on features in order to coax people who wanted more video capture options to buy an R over an RP or 90D.

Also, shout out to all the guys still bagging on 24p when even the great and powerful Canon decided they made a mistake by not including it :rolleyes:;)

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
So what about the outcry for non-crippled non-cropped 4k on the EOS R? You know, Canon's current mirrorless flagship?

You think that’s something you can just enable via firmware? The 90D and the M6II have full-sensor 4K because the new sensor and electronics can do it. The R hardware can’t. Simple.

Upvote 0