Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?

I have no trouble getting excellent wildlife portraits of posing animals and birds with the R (see the puffin above) and the files are beautiful and don't require the cleanup that those from the 7DMKII do. But when I refer to a wildlife camera I need one the can also capture the flying puffin, the attacking leopard, the penguin leaping in the water, the charging bear, and have the focus be in the right spot. The R is more than capable of capturing a leopard sitting in a tree, a penguin standing on the beach, and a bear clamming but these are all static wildlife shots and nice in their own way but I also to shoot a lot of animal behavior which involves more action and I've have not found the R suitable in any way for this. I would certainly be open to any suggestion you have about my settings that could improve this. The picture below was one of a series of rapid shots of a leopard attacking an impala using the 7DMKII. I always want to be prepared for something like this as well as the portraits.
Catherine
View attachment 186451

This is exactly my experience with sports compared to other shooting. Fantastic camera, but just not the right body for fast moving or quick timing shots. Excellent description, and WOW, fantasying photography.

Upvote 0
Worth bearing in mind that non-random sample photographs are pretty poor evidence of the AF capabilities of any camera. They are poor evidence of anything as far as I'm concerned although I know some may find that illogical. I have taken lots of OOF photos with my 1DX Mark II and just as many that were tack sharp with my vintage manual focus gear. That doesn't mean my MF gear focuses better than my 1DX Mark II. Even a blind squirell finds a nut every once in a while.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'm a wildlife shooter and recently invested in Canon's new 600mm mark III. It's light, incredible and works well with my 1DX II and 5D Mark IV. That said, I'm worried how this lens, along with the rest of my EF lineup, will interact with the new mirrorless bodies. I don't have the EOS R as it was too slow for my needs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the adapter will not slow down autofocus one bit....it does add more connection points regardless. Even a very minor or small lag can be a deal breaker in the wildlife space. I'll want to buy this new pro mirrorless body in a few years as it will be their fastest camera and an EVF along with a silent shutter are all major positives as far as I'm concerned. That said, the major drawback will be any loss of capability when using the adapter with the EF telephoto line. I can't imagine Canon would be releasing a full range of super telephoto RF glass by 2021. And if they do pull something like that off, they should've went toward that entire direction earlier rather than releasing recent EF updates to the 600mm and 400mm f/2.8 lenses...as well as an upcoming 1DX Mark III.
I shot a eos r with my 600ii and a 2xiii and the communication seemed fine but the camera it self seemed problematic. The focus speed of the camera just seemed off , the delay from the view finder was to long. I was tracking a young eagle diving for a fish and well the delay made it pretty challenging. Anyway I don’t think the adapters are going to be the issue I think the issues will be the camera

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Canon is so behind it's almost a greek tragedy!!!
they are holding onto their DSLR's and hoping it will cary them into the 21st century.
Sure you have those die hard canon users "I am one of them" but I see a lot and I mean a lot of Nikon and Canon users going to Sony!
I may become one of them myself.
The best thing to come out of Canon in the past 5 years is the M6 MK2 and that has it's flaws, but is otherwise a great little camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Canon is so behind it's almost a greek tragedy!!!
they are holding onto their DSLR's and hoping it will cary them into the 21st century.
Sure you have those die hard canon users "I am one of them" but I see a lot and I mean a lot of Nikon and Canon users going to Sony!
I may become one of them myself.
The best thing to come out of Canon in the past 5 years is the M6 MK2 and that has it's flaws, but is otherwise a great little camera.
Last 5 years: Nov 2014, 7DII – the then best APS-C; June 2015, 5DSR and 5DS - only just deposed as kings of the megapixels and best resolution; April 2016, 1DXII – best Pro camera; Sep 2016, 5DIV - best all round workhorse for a while; and a host of cheaper cameras and expensive top rate lenses.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
dumbledore-duel-harry-potter.jpg
Funny, sounds nearly like Canon plans to revive their "Mirrorbox 2" from the 1960s. Like Leica, they offered such a device to turn a Canon 7 rangefinder into an SLR, so one could shoot with longer than 135 mm tele lenses (image: https://flynngraphics.ca/model-7):
serveimage.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Last 5 years: Nov 2014, 7DII – the then best APS-C; June 2015, 5DSR and 5DS - only just deposed as kings of the megapixels and best resolution; April 2016, 1DXII – best Pro camera; Sep 2016, 5DIV - best all round workhorse for a while; and a host of cheaper cameras and expensive top rate lenses.

You have also included in your post "Just Deposed" "for a while" and not to mention those are all DSLR's not mirrorless
and when canon releases a mirrorless the R it is sub par in just about every way including a single SD slot !
It was really release for Mid level photographers at best and priced it like a pro camera!
I own the Canon 5D4 and 3 and love them don't get me wrong! but I look at what Sony has done and say why do we as canon users need to wait till 2021 to see that type of camera for Canon?
Canon continues to lag and there financials only proves that is a grave mistake.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
You have also included in your post "Just Deposed" "for a while" and not to mention those are all DSLR's not mirrorless
and when canon releases a mirrorless the R it is sub par in just about every way including a single SD slot !
It was really release for Mid level photographers at best and priced it like a pro camera!
I own the Canon 5D4 and 3 and love them don't get me wrong! but I look at what Sony has done and say why do we as canon users need to wait till 2021 to see that type of camera for Canon?
Canon continues to lag and there financials only proves that is a grave mistake.
It was quite a bit lower priced than the 5d4 with the same IQ and IMO a lot of other things better also. So priced between the 6d2 and 5d4 with bits of both. And then better than both regarding a lot that has to do with both AF and customization. And with the RF glass, next level quality in most of my images.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
It was quite a bit lower priced than the 5d4 with the same IQ and IMO a lot of other things better also. So priced between the 6d2 and 5d4 with bits of both. And then better than both regarding a lot that has to do with both AF and customization. And with the RF glass, next level quality in most of my images.

you are missing the point
DSLR's are more or less a thing of the past
Canon is choosing to live in the past.

Bottom line, they need to catch up.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

You are missing the wood for the trees.

Canon make the best selling MILC camera and camera system on the planet. Canon sell 6 MILC's across a wide price range that includes 2 sensor sizes and world class leading lenses with unmatched usability with legacy lenses.

Just because Canon don't currently make the camera you think you want doesn't mean Canon as a company need to to make anything more, if they continue support for buyers that want DSLR's who are we and what hard data do we have to contradict them?

Upvote 0
Yes, that is true that it is more challenging to capture dynamic wild-life with EOS-R but it is not impossible. I personally don't conclude that R is not suitable in any way for this. Perhaps a little patience and proper setup is the key. I am looking forward to an EOS-R which has higher frame rate, improved EVF, snappy AF for moving objects, better eye-AF, long RF lenses, etc. etc. etc. But I won't stand still (either silent or complain) till the time that a camera with those endless set of features is given to me. Life is too short and better not waste it waiting.
It will be intriguing to see how you feel the EOS R is after this AF performance upgrade this month.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

DSLRs outsell MILCs globally. Once again, reality contradicts your personal viewpoint.

Bottom line, you are welcome to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
That’s more like it. Keep it dignified and we will all be satisfied. Unfortunately, and this is not aimed at you, there is too much rudeness in current political debate and it is becoming the accepted norm. But, private wasn’t being rude and bhf3737 was not offended and took it in good spirit.

Is there not also a responsibility on posters not to enter hyperbole mode (another problem in the current world of social media).
Comments along the lines of 'it is in no way a wildlife camera' when others can clearly show it can be successfully used as such, but what they really mean 'it does not match what I want from a camera' . When someone makes broad sweeping comments like that it can lead to frustration and intemperate responses.
I am not making excuses, just an observation.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
We saw it last year, it is called the EOS R.
Canons own team would suggest that’s not true. When interviewed, they specifically stated it’s market and position is between 6D and 5D. If it’s truly the mirrorless “5D mkv”, all the criticisms of the camera are not just hyperbole but well deserved.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Given that Canon is not losing ILC market share to Sony, what you see doesn’t match reality.

That’s also not direct evidence to contradict the anecdotal claim that Canon and Nikon shooters are switching to Sony in large numbers.

1. Sony’s marketshare has dramatically increased over the past five years.
2. Nikon’s marketshare has decreased dramatically over the same period.
3. Canon’s marketshare has also decreased and fluctuated over the same period.
4. New shooters and retiring shooters also play a factor.
5. Shooters can be switching 1 to 1 for net zero gain.

I could get far into this but your rebuttal isn’t one based in logic. We don’t have the direct information to directly object to or prove that there is a migration of Canon and Nikon shooters moving to Sony. We have inferred conclusions and anecdotal evidence so that’s why we see these claims on here so often. Personally my experience with the pros I work with reflects a move from Canons and Nikon to Sony, Fuji, and Panasonic and not the other way around. This is reality and also can be seen in marketshare.

At the foundation of this claim I believe is the idea that Pro and Amateur photographers who are spending the most money in the camera market are slowly moving to Sony. From all indications, I believe this to be true.

How can this be true and Canon still maintain their strong marketshare in units sold? I believe it is in their entry level market. One which overall is dramatically contracting and a reason for worry among a lot of us. It’s not a secret Canon is bleeding profit right now. I could be wrong, so please correct me, Sony is doing relatively better financially, but again, we don’t have the information for good conclusions. As a percentage of total units sold, the entry level offerings from Nikon and Sony I believe will affect their marketshare more than Canon.

Revenue marketshare, while also doesn’t tell us much, can at least be another indicator on these questions.

The fact that Nikon and Canon jumped into the full frame mirrorless market, to me, shows that they feel it’s worth their long term effort to compete with Sony.

I’m curious if NO ONE was leaving the big two for Sony, what would be the incentive to invest so much R&D into full frame mirrorless and release half baked cameras that are generations behind Sony?

What would Canons marketshare be today if not for Sony’s mirrorless full frame success? The fact is, Sony’s marketshare has increased. It has to come from somewhere. New shooters, Canon & Nikon shooters, and other brands as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0