Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Hi Srit67.
Way to alienate yourself! Just because you don’t like Flickr doesn’t make you right, and the way you ask the question makes you come across as a real buffoon.
Very happy Flickr user!

Cheers, Graham.
I don’t get it guys; why do you pay attention to such a piece of Canon EOS R like Srit67?

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Neat. You criticize people for paying attention to a hater...while hating on the EOS R yourself.
I think you’re missing the sarcasm...
Edit:
Since I already have and use the 5D Mark 4 and the 1DX you’re right, the EOS R is not for me but I’m waiting for the next one, at least equivalent to the 5D Mark 4.
I don’t hate it, it’s just not for me...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I think you’re missing the sarcasm...
Edit:
Since I already have and use the 5D Mark 4 and the 1DX you’re right, the EOS R is not for me but I’m waiting for the next one, at least equivalent to the 5D Mark 4.
I don’t hate it, it’s just not for me...

You're right--I missed the sarcasm. Sorry about that.

And, though I don't own a full frame, I've played with the R a bit, and it's a huge step above anything else I've used. BUT, ironically, Canon has dampened my enthusiasm for it by bringing out the 32MP APS-C cameras. Now both the R and RP have fewer pixels in a much bigger sensor, and it just doesn't seem right to be looking at an M5-II (OK, I may have to settle for an M6-II) and a fullframe with fewer pixels. I can understand those who are not wanting to jump all the way to 83MP, though...so how about something in the 40s-50s?

So I'm sort of in the same boat you're in right now, wanting to see what they come out with in the R realm next.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

And, though I don't own a full frame, I've played with the R a bit, and it's a huge step above anything else I've used. BUT, ironically, Canon has dampened my enthusiasm for it by bringing out the 32MP APS-C cameras. Now both the R and RP have fewer pixels in a much bigger sensor, and it just doesn't seem right to be looking at an M5-II (OK, I may have to settle for an M6-II) and a fullframe with fewer pixels. I can understand those who are not wanting to jump all the way to 83MP, though...so how about something in the 40s-50s?

So I'm sort of in the same boat you're in right now, wanting to see what they come out with in the R realm next.
Steve, I guess there is still much for you to learn, Sir. Great. Keep exploring your options. Ask questions and maintain an open mind approach.
Photography is a kind of magic in so many ways. It’s a witchcraft. A wizardry. So, Stick to the wizards and follow your imagination.
You can produce amazing photos with the camera you already own.

Upvote 0

ronno

Pro
Sep 8, 2019
Curiosity is getting the best of me. Will your phone back up raw files? If so, how many from a 30 mega pixel camera? I only ask because I only shoot raw.

I shoot only RAW too. The WIFI workaround is fast, but sends full-size JPEGs to the computer/phone/tablet (not RAW files.)
So, in the rare instance that your card actually fails, you have *full size* JPEG backups.
Perfect? No.
Decent Plan B if the shit hits the fan? Yes, IMHO.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

My M6 has more megapixels than my ancient 6D, and I wish the M6 had fewer megapixels (and thus better imagine quality at high ISO).

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My M6 has more megapixels than my ancient 6D, and I wish the M6 had fewer megapixels (and thus better imagine quality at high ISO).
Would it have higher IQ at high iso? There are quite a few posts in CR claiming with good reasoning that more pixels give worse IQ at high iso is a myth.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
If their RF 1DX is "anything" like the 1DXMKIII and they say 2021 or 2022 before a full set of lenses are out to equal or EF inventory, I'm shocked.

I'll say it again. Canon should have devoted more to the 1DXMKIII to hold "still photographers" in place until a complete set of lenses and and equivalent "R" high resolution options were put out for agencies.

Now Csnon is scattered, not focused and opened up their markets to competition from people they never had to compete with.

Very poor business decision. Right now we could be using a high resolution MKIII for stills and Canon opted not to go in that direction, now we wait until 2022?

Good luck with that.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I have little faith. This will be another 1DXMKIII flop. Can't Canon hire Product Managers who can relate to what we "need"? They can't have it both ways by saying a camera is for professionals then dumb it down for those they want to sell it to, who are not professionals, to increase sales. Lowering resolution for stills to increase frame rate for video is not a need for a professional. Pros use real video cameras. Can't Canon get back to making cameras for photographers???????

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
In mirrorless world, the leasing company is selling video features as important as photo features to amateur.
Before mirrorless 1D come out, I doubt that there will be any Flagship mirrorless that compatible with 1DMarkIII or D6. I do not see A9ii is in the same league with Canon and Nikon flagship at least on the body construction and weatherseal.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
They can't have it both ways by saying a camera is for professionals then dumb it down for those they want to sell it to, who are not professionals, to increase sales.
True. Making a camera for those they want to sell it to would be suicide. /s :rolleyes:

Thank goodness for the enthusiasts out there. They are who will keep Canon afloat. They are who have always done so. Most professionals aren't doing much of anything right now (unfortunately). It makes complete sense for Canon to focus on the biggest markets.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
So as we get no work for the past 4 months because we're pro sports photographers Canon throws us under the bus. As if the 1DXMKIII was not bad enough? Stop telling us cameras are for professionals when you have clearly amateur features that dumb down what would make a pro more money. This double talk is deceptive and dishonest.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Have you any idea how long it will take to develop a full stable of lenses to match the EF range? That is a ridiculous suggestion.
Using an adapter is not a problem, it really isn't.
People easily forget that when they have an adapter between manufacturers (Sigma to Canon for example) the adapter manufacturer has to reverse engineer the software which will lead to compromises on performance. No such problem when Canon makes a EF-RF adapter.

Such as....?

Such as....?

Reading your posts I an glad you are not involved in their business decisions.
Well our firm, other agencies and the teams are not adopting the MKIII with anywhere near the MKII. So if money matters.... Canon has a flop.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Well our firm, other agencies and the teams are not adopting the MKIII with anywhere near the MKII. So if money matters.... Canon has a flop.
Or, business is poor for them as it is for every camera maker on the planet. The MK III was likely tossed out as a stopgap new body for those who wanted the latest body for the 2020 Olympics. Hopefully, the market and the tech will be there in 2021, but I would not count on it.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Or, business is poor for them as it is for every camera maker on the planet. The MK III was likely tossed out as a stopgap new body for those who wanted the latest body for the 2020 Olympics. Hopefully, the market and the tech will be there in 2021, but I would not count on it.
Nor would I , I see nothing innovative to get our agency to buy new bodies and lenses and adapt to new workflow. Very disappointed in Canon lately

Upvote 0