Canon to release an RF 5.2mm f/2.8L next?

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
I don't belive that Canon would release such a giant, expensive and niche lens!
Before this one... there are 100 other lenses with better market placement!
With current supplier and production crisis, it actually makes kind of sense to focus on high profit / low volume lenses rather than the opposite.
And for "normal" lenses you still have the whole system of EF lenses.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
Seeing as there is an 8-15mm, it's not that all out of the question, also the competing rokinon 8mm, it might be worth it to try getting this out there for certain applications. The only real use application would likely be real estate.

Check out this 120 sq foot studio! IT'S HUGE!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Since Canon released its first DSLR 20 years ago, it made only one fisheye lens - the EF 8-15mm f/4. The FD 6.5mm f/5.6 circular fisheye was never converted to EF. I think it would be a little odd if Canon decided to make a circular fisheye (prime or zoom that goes to diagonal) for crop now. The market is smaller than it was a decade ago, and fisheyes are too niche to be done early.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
The only real use application would likely be real estate.
I can't see more than a handful of real estate shooters paying the price this will cost to shoot real estate as 99% of real estate is done with a cell phone or is a minimum wage job these days. There are a few high end shooters that make good money but this will likely distort to much for what they do. I see this more for movie and game studio work. To make this sing though you are going to need a really high megapixel sensor.

Another company that makes lenses like this.

Upvote 0
Since Canon released its first DSLR 20 years ago, it made only one fisheye lens - the EF 8-15mm f/4. The FD 6.5mm f/5.6 circular fisheye was never converted to EF. I think it would be a little odd if Canon decided to make a circular fisheye (prime or zoom that goes to diagonal) for crop now. The market is smaller than it was a decade ago, and fisheyes are too niche to be done early.
Hmmm
I have a 15mm EF full frame fisheye in my case right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Don't forget the EF 15/2.8.
edit to add: @dcsimages beat me to the punch

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
I have the Canon R5 and various RF lenses. I also got the EF 8-15mm f/4 fisheye lens. With the R5 the view is NOT a fully 180 degree view but I have t slightly crop a bit in order to avoid black corners. The image is intrigued but I can use it very seldom only for special "curvy" effects. I am NOT sure what a lens like a 5,2mm lens can do with my R5 camera and the cost might be huge! (the EF 8-15mm cost me less than 700 USD used). Not bad....

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Before this one... there are 100 other lenses with better market placement!

With current supplier and production crisis, it actually makes kind of sense to focus on high profit / low volume lenses rather than the opposite.
And for "normal" lenses you still have the whole system of EF lenses.
That's what I was thinking too. If true, this is likely a custom order "look what we can do" lens that will boost Canon's reputation. I doubt if it will take many resources away from their regular lens lineup, as this would likely be hand built when someone places an order.

Upvote 0
I can't see more than a handful of real estate shooters paying the price this will cost to shoot real estate as 99% of real estate is done with a cell phone or is a minimum wage job these days. There are a few high end shooters that make good money but this will likely distort to much for what they do. I see this more for movie and game studio work. To make this sing though you are going to need a really high megapixel sensor.

Another company that makes lenses like this.

Not necessarily in high end real estate. There are companies out there that stage with lighting and shoot very carefully constructed scenes for high end real estate.

People shopping for high end stuff generally visit a third of the houses that people looking at mid rang/low end do. So they use every trick in the book to get them enticed enough to bring them to the door for an actual visit. That's why the more higher end sites have 3-4 times the number of pictures, and many times 3d views.

Upvote 0