Canon U.S.A. To Host Virtual Press Conference For New Professional Imaging Products And Technologies

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY, March 30, 2020 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announced today that they will be hosting a Virtual Press Conference to unveil the company’s new professional imaging products and technologies. The Virtual Press Conference, which will be streamed on the Canon U.S.A. website at usa.canon.com/VPC2020, is scheduled to air on Monday, April 20, 2020, at 1:00 PM EDT/10:00 AM PT.

“As Canon continues to monitor the global response surrounding the spread of COVID-19, the effects of which have impacted every aspect of our lives, we would like to thank everyone for their understanding and ongoing support during this challenging time,” said Kazuto Ogawa, president, and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc “The road ahead is long and filled with uncertainty, but when the broadcast and cinema industries are ready to resume ‘normal’ activities, Canon wants them to...

Continue reading...

Dj 7th

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 22, 2019
Nice! What lenses do you have? This does sound like a cinema camera only announcement unfortunately...

I am an early adopter of the RF Mount. I have the following RF lenses;

50 f1.2
85 f1.2
15-35 f2.8
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8
24-105 f4

I love the EOS R for most of what I do but R5's 45MP, 12 FPS and a snappier performance would make it a perfect camera for me. I am hoping that they at least announce it and start shipping in June. (All depending on the pandemic I know)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

50 f1.2
85 f1.2
15-35 f2.8
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8
24-105 f4

I love the EOS R for most of what I do but R5's 45MP, 12 FPS and a snappier performance would make it a perfect camera for me. I am hoping that they at least announce it and start shipping in June. (All depending on the pandemic I know)

What has your experience with the 70-200 been like? Did you own an EF 70-200 before?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

50 f1.2
85 f1.2
15-35 f2.8
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8
24-105 f4

The only thing stopping me from getting the R5 is the existential problem: It doesn't exist. (Well, OK if the price is scary I might wait.) I have no RF lenses yet but will probably buy it with the 24-105 L and bring over a couple of EF lenses. I just wish the control ring adapter came as part of a kit (even if the kit costs $100 more with it).

Upvote 0

Dj 7th

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 22, 2019
What has your experience with the 70-200 been like? Did you own an EF 70-200 before?

Yes, I had the EF-70-200 Mark II. The size is the major difference to me. I am yet to pixel peek with the RF lens yet but the pixel peepers say it is at least as good or even better than the EF version. The past week I focused more on the auto-focus system, while it is good, it is not as fast as the RF 24-70. The price is another factor, but for me, I just prefer not to use an adapter. The only EF lenses I kept are the TS-E-24 and 100 Macro and that is because there are no RF versions yet.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA

50 f1.2
85 f1.2
15-35 f2.8
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8
24-105 f4

Since you have these particular lenses, could you please share how you've tended to use some more than others? EG: the 85 f1.2 must be wonderful for portraits, but do you find it too big & heavy for any other use and therefore you don't use it often? Do you find you use just one lens most of the time? I'd really like to hear what you might say since I'm interested in these lenses (as well as the 85mm f1.2 DS) and wonder how beautiful images vs big & heavy lenses to carry pan out?

Upvote 0

Dj 7th

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 22, 2019
The only thing stopping me from getting the R5 is the existential problem: It doesn't exist. (Well, OK if the price is scary I might wait.) I have no RF lenses yet but will probably buy it with the 24-105 L and bring over a couple of EF lenses. I just wish the control ring adapter came as part of a kit (even if the kit costs $100 more with it).

I believe canon is bringing the lesson learnt from the EOS R and the new developments of the 1DX Mark III together in the R5, so to me, the different parts that make up the RF is already in existence except for IBIS.

Upvote 0

Dj 7th

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 22, 2019
Since you have these particular lenses, could you please share how you've tended to use some more than others? EG: the 85 f1.2 must be wonderful for portraits, but do you find it too big & heavy for any other use and therefore you don't use it often? Do you find you use just one lens most of the time? I'd really like to hear what you might say since I'm interested in these lenses (as well as the 85mm f1.2 DS) and wonder how beautiful images vs big & heavy lenses to carry pan out?

You know what? You are very right. The RF 50 for example, I barely use, but when I do, the results are just gorgeous. RF 85 is my main portrait lens, it is big but manageable. I however do not use it for any other purpose. I have asked myself that if there is an RF 35 f/1.2 and RF 135 f/1.8. Would I need the 24-70 and 70-200? I think it all depends on the environment that you shoot in. If you are an event photographer, the zooms may be more beneficial. I love the looks of the RF Prime lenses but depending on what you do, you may benefit more from the flexibility of the zooms.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I'm not sure why people are saying R5 and R6.

This is what the announcement says.

“The road ahead is long and filled with uncertainty, but when the broadcast and cinema industries are ready to resume ‘normal’ activities, Canon wants them to know we will be there to continue to support professionals with new products and technologies that meet their needs.”

The new Canon broadcast and cinema products featured during the Virtual Press Conference are aligned with the current and growing needs of the respective industries such as 4K UHD and HDR, as well as evolving technologies.

R5 nor R6 are not broadcast or cinema products.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm not sure why people are saying R5 and R6.

This is what the announcement says.

“The road ahead is long and filled with uncertainty, but when the broadcast and cinema industries are ready to resume ‘normal’ activities, Canon wants them to know we will be there to continue to support professionals with new products and technologies that meet their needs.”

The new Canon broadcast and cinema products featured during the Virtual Press Conference are aligned with the current and growing needs of the respective industries such as 4K UHD and HDR, as well as evolving technologies.

R5 nor R6 are not broadcast or cinema products.
Because, sadly, most people don't bother to read more than the headline. In fact, sometimes I doubt they even read the headline.

If this is scheduled for April 20, I'm sticking to the late May or sometime in June prediction for the R5 and R6. Gotta spread things out a bit.

Upvote 0