Canon USA Announces Canon Log Feature Upgrade for the EOS 5D Mark IV

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We first reported that the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/c-log-coming-to-the-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv/">EOS 5D Mark IV would get a C-Log update last month</a>, and a <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/crop-factor-change-for-4k-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-included-in-coming-update-more/">few days later a more indepth upgrade list</a> came from an unknown source. It looks like the detailed firmware specifications list from a “new source” was a nice and detailed hoax. We very rarely get caught but them, but we were this time. As has been the case in the past, if anything is extremely detailed as far as a rumor goes, it’s likely not legitimate.</p>
<p>Apologies if we got people’s hopes up, but everything we post isn’t always 100% correct.</p>
<p><strong>MELVILLE, N.Y., April 20, 2017 –</strong> In a move to help meet the demands of professional filmmakers, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the availability of a feature upgrade for the EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR camera that will add the ability to record with Canon Log. With this upgrade, the EOS 5D Mark IV can achieve a cinematic look similar to what can be achieved using Cinema EOS cameras, allowing it to serve as a second camera on a Cinema EOS shoot or to stand alone as a cinema camera. Current EOS 5D Mark IV camera owners can have the Canon Log feature upgrade installed for $99 at any of the Canon service centers across the U.S. starting in July. The camera will also be available for sale (body only) with the feature upgrade pre-installed starting in July, with an estimated retail price of $3,599.00<span class="green">*</span>.</p>
<p>Canon Log uses the image sensor’s characteristics in a way that allows for a wide dynamic range, minimal loss of detail in shadows and highlight areas and an increased range of choices when color grading. Color grading options available with Canon Log include optimized color saturation, accurate colors with minor color bias, visual continuity and accurate skin tones.</p>
<p>Canon Log also works with and complements several EOS 5D Mark IV camera features including 4K shooting, Dual Pixel CMOS AF, high speed 119.9p shooting in HD and 59.94p shooting in Full HD. Additional features include Movie Servo AF allowing the camera to focus on a subject even when the shutter button is not used, the ability to register custom shooting modes in Canon Log and movie shooting in Canon Log on a compatible iOS® or Android™ device using the free Canon Camera Connect app<span class="green"><sup>1</sup></span>.</p>
<p>To learn more about the feature upgrade and how to get it installed, please visit <a href="https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/see-legendary/canon-log" target="article-9160679900">usa.canon.com/canonlog5d4</a>.</p>
<p>The EOS 5D Mark IV camera with Canon Log will be shown at the NAB show in Las Vegas, NV, April 24-27, in the Canon U.S.A., Inc. Booth #C4325 in the Central Hall of the LVCC. Follow Canon throughout the show on Instagram at @CanonUSA and Twitter at @CanonUSApro.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jun 20, 2013
wow.. where's that big update that canon was supposed to be because video was so critical to the success of a the camera... (no offense to you CR .. some where using it as "proof" that video was mandatory on DSLR's)

this because of the A9? doubtful. canon doesn't have anything to match a ergonomically, weathersealed challenged sports camera with out telephotos yet.

Probably some hollywood people wanted it added.

what's odd is that it's not going into the 1DX Mark II.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
wow.. where's that big update that canon was supposed to be because video was so critical to the success of a the camera... (no offense to you CR .. some where using it as "proof" that video was mandatory on DSLR's)

this because of the A9? doubtful. probably some hollywood people wanted it added.

What's not odd is that all those pie in the sky dreams about XF-AVC 4K are not actually part of this.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
tr573 said:
rrcphoto said:

this because of the A9? doubtful. probably some hollywood people wanted it added.

What's not odd is that all those pie in the sky dreams about XF-AVC 4K are not actually part of this.

thankfully I don't have to eat a healthy diet of crow today.

I honestly doubted and sadly I guess is probably correct, that the DIGIC's in the stills cameras simply can't handle video of any real sort above and beyond 1080p

I honestly don't know what canon is going to do soon and fast - they are starting to really loose the technology race, even to nikon in this regard.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
privatebydesign said:
Now let's hear the cacaphony of hurt for the $99 cost for the upgrade.

Anybody that believed a fraction of the 'rumor' was in denial. Talk of a hardware upgrade was never going happen to a mass production camera.

I wanted all these features added but i don't want to pay for them! Damn you Canon! (even though panasonic is doing the exact same)

~ the whining majority at dpreview.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
After all these years, I still get burned on misinformation from time to time, though a lot less than at the beginning. I should have stopped at the C-Log.

When you're right, no on says anything. When you're wrong..... omg! The hate emails have started already :p

For the record, The EF 85mm f/1.4L IS is real and will be coming in a few months (along with the 6D2)!

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
After all these years, I still get burned on misinformation from time to time, though a lot less than at the beginning. I should have stopped at the C-Log.

When you're right, no on says anything. When you're wrong..... omg! The hate emails have started already :p

For the record, The EF 85mm f/1.4L IS is real and will be coming in a few months (along with the 6D2)!

Can't wait for the 6D2!

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Canon Rumors said:

I'm sure canon is receiving some hate emails too.. i noticed some on dpreview stating it as fact yesterday. lol.

it was a pretty amazing rumor though. the dude spent alot of time on it.

maybe it has been discussed and bandied about.. do you remember how fare back the C700 specs were?

or it could be a mythical beast called a 5DC.. that canon will upgrade 5D Mark IV's into for a fee.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
rrcphoto said:
Canon Rumors said:

I'm sure canon is receiving some hate emails too.. i noticed some on dpreview stating it as fact yesterday. lol.

it was a pretty amazing rumor though. the dude spent alot of time on it.

maybe it has been discussed and bandied about.. do you remember how fare back the C700 specs were?

or it could be a mythical beast called a 5DC.. that canon will upgrade 5D Mark IV's into for a fee.

When your batting average is pretty good, it can work against you when it comes to things that aren't true. People assume a lot, even if you say "new source", "unknown source" or "[CR1]". If it's not "[CR3]", it's not fact.

The way it came to us was generally the way real stuff comes, so this is a head scratcher.

There is no "5DC" coming in 2017... beyond that, who knows.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon Rumors said:

It's a rumors site, nobody should care or put the rent money on it. ;)

The last rumor did get way out there though, more a case of conspiracy theory run riot than any viable or realistic chance of actually happening, especially seeing as we were talking about Canon who are nothing if not staid.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
The way it came to us was generally the way real stuff comes, so this is a head scratcher.

I'm wondering what else Canon has up their sleeve for NAB this year. Too bad no 5DC, with that rumored spec list for around $3750-$4000 USD would probably sell really well.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
bsbeamer said:
Canon Rumors said:

I'm wondering what else Canon has up their sleeve for NAB this year. Too bad no 5DC, with that rumored spec list for around $3750-$4000 USD would probably sell really well.

This is it... 5D4 firmware and the Compact Servo 70-200. They'll be showing off 8K stuff at their booth, but as far as products... this is it.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
privatebydesign said:
Canon Rumors said:

It's a rumors site, nobody should care or put the rent money on it. ;)

The last rumor did get way out there though, more a case of conspiracy theory run riot than any viable or realistic chance of actually happening, especially seeing as we were talking about Canon who are nothing if not staid.

You're right, I'll be passing videography based rumors through a couple of people before they hit the site. Part of it in this case might be my ignorance to video features. I am and will always be a stills guy.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
You're right, I'll be passing videography based rumors through a couple of people before they hit the site. Part of it in this case might be my ignorance to video features. I am and will always be a stills guy.

I'm a video guy, mostly post-production. Was really hoping for the additional codecs from that rumor being part of the LOG upgrade. The other stuff was pipe dreams. Those Magic Lantern guys may be able to achieve it eventually. That list would be a great starting point for a 5DC based cinema camera, if Canon is listening...

Upvote 0