Canon USA: Canon Professional Services

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Fair enough, it's still not a "extended warranty" because if it was, it would be free. A $1000 repair is still $800/$700 with the discount. It's not THAT big of a deal. Those $200 you saved, you probably paid in CPS fees. If you're a pro who constantly ends up with damaged equipment, then yes, it would be worth it.

I've never said it was an extended warranty.

Gold costs $100 per year. Silver is free. I usually maintain a Silver membership and have only upgraded to Gold immediately before I needed a repair. Canon has never questioned that. Including the free overnight return shipping valued at $27 on the invoice, one only needs a single $365 repair to break even on the $100 cost to upgrade from Silver to Gold. If one then needs another repair over the next calendar year, or a single repair costs more than $365, a one-time Gold membership for $100 more than pays for itself. And that's without even considering the five clean & checks per year included in the Gold level membership.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Fair enough, it's still not a "extended warranty" because if it was, it would be free. A $1000 repair is still $800/$700 with the discount. It's not THAT big of a deal. Those $200 you saved, you probably paid in CPS fees. If you're a pro who constantly ends up with damaged equipment, then yes, it would be worth it.

Not only repair savings, faster turn around (not always important but can be essential at times), I can use the Itasca service center (not sure if non-CPS members can use it). Itasca is 45 minute drive for me. Savings the cost of shipping equipment for cleaning. I can either pick up my equipment or have Canon ship it to me (only downside of shipping is I need to sign for it).

Since we travel a lot (dusty areas) I need to use all my cleanings. That is worth the CPS membership.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
Has anybody been denied CPS membership? What counts towards "majority of income": just pressing the shutter, or also pre-prep and post production? Does it mean majority of income with Canon gear, or imaging with all sorts of gear, including Canon? No need to answer, just demonstrate that the conditions are very rubbery and can be interpreted with much latitude.

I'd relax a bit about the whole thing, and think this is more for Canon internal justification of the program rather than true gate-keeping. i just keep Ag, though would qualify for Pt, and that even with only bare minimum of Canon gear. Mostly Zeiss and even more esoteric stuff (Coastal Optics). Much of my professional/academic imaging does not use a single piece of Canon gear.

Upvote 0