Canon USA officially announces the Canon Cinema EOS C70

The official CanonUSA introduction video has A LOT of noise, especially noticeable on 26s mark as well as after 5m20s on most of the "Shot on EOS C70" samples ... something tells me it's just a poor corporate video production artifact, but I'd rather see some good looking footage! Might purchase this one ... but first gotta loan an R5 to see if it works as a hybrid for our needs ... can't switch without a functional hybrid!

btw, 5m56s – told you! The adapter screws into the body :D same thing will be with the PL version, it's essential for video cameras to eliminate wiggle because it's more noticeable when filming video than photo

Upvote 0
Looks like a nice offering. The lens adapter is potentially a game changer. Less money than I expected. Wish it had raw./ cfexpress.
Internal raw recording and full frame are what I wish for for their higher end. The speed booster is good but as a new canon shooter it’s not my intention to buy Ef lenses.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Not meaning to come across as snarky or anything, but why would this have an EVF?
The C200 and C300 Mark III cameras have it.
It really depends on the style of shooting, I guess an LCD loupe will be available in a few months for those who prefer to shoot like that, or Canon thinks of the EOS R5 as a different alternative for video as well.
So, can you use the basic EF / RF adapters (those used with the R-series cameras)?
Yes, of course. It will work with all of them.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
I really wanted this to be the camera that made me cancel my R5 order but I'm worried the R5 has better picture quality due to bitrate. How concerned should I be that the max bitrate on this camera is 410Mbps?

All of the footage tests I have seen is that this is on par with the c300 MK III, and is far beyond the c200 in many ways. Definitely less noisy. It won’t do 8k like the R5, but it also won’t overheat and the files will be a lot easier to manage. More versatile. I don’t think you are going to have any problems at 410Mbps. The images look really clean, and the color as always is dead on.

Upvote 0

AndyN

EOS R, A7SIII
Jan 29, 2020
I really wanted this to be the camera that made me cancel my R5 order but I'm worried the R5 has better picture quality due to bitrate. How concerned should I be that the max bitrate on this camera is 410Mbps?
Think about it more like this, the r5 at best, with a clog2 update would only bring in 11.5-12 useable stops at best. This would likely bring in somewhere around 13-13.5 useable stops. Bit rate matters not if the camera couldn't pull in the details you need in the first place. :) This will be better than the r5 by miles for video i'm sure

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
The C200 and C300 Mark III cameras have it.
It really depends on the style of shooting, I guess an LCD loupe will be available in a few months for those who prefer to shoot like that, or Canon thinks of the EOS R5 as a different alternative for video as well.

Yes, of course. It will work with all of them.

The EVFs from Zaccuto are nice, and you can just plug into the HDMI port. Not a problem really.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
All of the footage tests I have seen is that this is on par with the c300 MK III, and is far beyond the c200 in many ways. Definitely less noisy. It won’t do 8k like the R5, but it also won’t overheat and the files will be a lot easier to manage. More versatile. I don’t think you are going to have any problems at 410Mbps. The images look really clean, and the color as always is dead on.
I am more than fine with the 4K 120p this camera can do, especially if it doesn't overheat. I am currently using the EOS R with Ninja V for video. Video is where my passion is but I do like taking photos too and the R is more than enough for me for photography. I was on the hype train with the R5 and ordered one on announcement day but still haven't received it. With time to research and think about it I'm convinced I should just get a cinema camera instead of a hybrid mirrorless if I'm really going to pursue videography. Right now I'm considering this or the RED Komodo.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0