Canon USA officially announces the Canon Cinema EOS C70

Apr 25, 2011
If you can't expand outside some set of uncodified 'rules' then perhaps it's you who isn't thinking...

Human bodies are vertically-orientated. If you're making a video of a person doing something individually then portrait orientation makes sense.
If they are climbing a mountain or a ladder, then yes.

If they are walking horizontally, no.

If they are just staying/sitting and talking alone, then no video is needed. A text transcript would be better.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If they are climbing a mountain or a ladder, then yes.

If they are walking horizontally, no.

If they are just staying/sitting and talking alone, then no video is needed. A text transcript would be better.

Spoken language is different from written language, so if you're opting for writing then please don't do a transcript, but a proper write up. On the extreme end, I have no use for lines and lines of "Ehm", "What was I saying?" and "Is this mic turned on?".

Upvote 0
If a movie camera can have 16+ stops of dynamic range, why can't a still camera? OTOH, I haven't seen much these days in the info about the R5 / R6 as to what their dynamic range is. What's with that?
Good question on the DR, another cripple hammer hit by Canon maybe. It has to be related to the sensor, a DPreview says the R5/R6 have 12-13 stops depending on the profile used, and will have more DR once we get a firmware update that enables CLog 2 or 3, it would be awesome if it goes past 14 stops, but CLog 2 is not easy to work with. Sony claims to have 15 stops of DR on the a7Siii right out of the camera, but the DPreview video on it says it's more like 13.5 to 14.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
That adapter/speedbooster got me excited, that means if they release APSC RF mount later I can use Canon EF FF glasses.
Wait so what if I use EF glasses and use it with speedbooster on EOS R5? Will I have ”medium format" result?
That speed booster adapter is only compatible with the c70. It will not work on the R/R5/R6. As it has 4 screws that mount to the lens mount.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That speed booster adapter is only compatible with the c70. It will not work on the R/R5/R6. As it has 4 screws that mount to the lens mount.
Check the CVP video, the screws and arms for the screws are both optional and removable. No word on if it’s compatible with other RF cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Check the CVP video, the screws and arms for the screws are both optional and removable. No word on if it’s compatible with other RF cameras.
I remember seeing a news blurb on a vendor site that stated the adapter was compatible with other Canon R mirrorless cameras, but can’t find it now.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Nice. Interesting that Canon didn’t try for 8k with this considering everything that’s happened with the R5. This body seems as though it could handle it. Pricing is good, a lot of estimates were $6,000, up to $700.

I don't think there exists a production-ready 44Mpix Super35 format sensor on the planet right now, although such a beast might not be that far off.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Good question on the DR, another cripple hammer hit by Canon maybe. It has to be related to the sensor, a DPreview says the R5/R6 have 12-13 stops depending on the profile used, and will have more DR once we get a firmware update that enables CLog 2 or 3, it would be awesome if it goes past 14 stops, but CLog 2 is not easy to work with. Sony claims to have 15 stops of DR on the a7Siii right out of the camera, but the DPreview video on it says it's more like 13.5 to 14.

Yep, This is about the useable DR that matters. Love that CLog 2/3 is comming. Hope this is a trend of Canon not crippling when the hardware is there. Even the S5 gives us unlimited recording 10bit in 1080 with some better exposure monitoring.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Spoken language is different from written language, so if you're opting for writing then please don't do a transcript, but a proper write up. On the extreme end, I have no use for lines and lines of "Ehm", "What was I saying?" and "Is this mic turned on?".
Still, it's much faster to ignore them on paper than during the video.

Upvote 0
I have a bit difficulcy understanding the upcoming Canon camera segmentation - this camera is not so big as I though it would be. And then even smaller C50 will come. And then, there are rumours about the Rc line. What would be it's purpose? Isn't it too much of a segmentation? :)

Or is it more like - C50/70 being a profi Cine line, B-roll to C500/C700, whereas Rc possibly competing with the likes of the A7SIII? The thing is, that I don't consider A7SIII being a hybrid camera, due to its 12mpx, which I don't consider being good enough for stills purposes (weddings)?

Upvote 0
No EVF, even as an option. This is a non-starter it for me.
I'm in danger of becoming that guy that keeps whining on about the lack of a viewfinder but I agree with you. In all the handheld footage I've seen, I'm spotting that classic side to side, rolling motion you tend to get when shooting with two hands from the gut, especially when turning the lens barrel. An Evf and two hands tends to solve that as it's a third point of contact as well as all the other trivial uses a viewfinder has, like being able to see what you're shooting.

So strange they left it out. Am I right in thinking this is only the second camera ,(stills and video), aside from the c200B that canon have ever made without a viewfinder ?

And I know I can buy one from zacuto but then the camera becomes as big and expensive as a c300mkii so it looses it's appeal.

Moan, grumble, moan

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'm in danger of becoming that guy that keeps whining on about the lack of a viewfinder but I agree with you. In all the handheld footage I've seen, I'm spotting that classic side to side, rolling motion you tend to get when shooting with two hands from the gut, especially when turning the lens barrel. An Evf and two hands tends to solve that as it's a third point of contact as well as all the other trivial uses a viewfinder has, like being able to see what you're shooting.

So strange they left it out. Am I right in thinking this is only the second camera ,(stills and video), aside from the c200B that canon have ever made without a viewfinder ?

And I know I can buy one from zacuto but then the camera becomes as big and expensive as a c300mkii so it looses it's appeal.

Moan, grumble, moan
Some C700 people were already upset about the capabilites of the C500 Mark II for a lot less money

Same thing happened again with the C300 Mark III with DGO and 4k120p agaist the C500 Mark II which is 6k FF, but much more expensive and omits these things.

And now we can't ignore the fact that the C70 costs exactly half of that, it has most of the C300 Mark III capabilites with the same sensor coupled to a newer, much more flexible lens mount.
Then there is the C200, which is currently priced exactly the same. Bigger and older techology, but it has the EVF and ergonomics to go with it.
It might get even cheaper still.
So it is not like Canon is not giving you enough choices.
It is quite amazing, how many features have started to appear in the lower categories considering the C500 Mark II was annouced just one year ago!

People should think about this before complaining.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
The thing is, that I don't consider A7SIII being a hybrid camera, due to its 12mpx, which I don't consider being good enough for stills purposes (weddings)?

Check the raw files here. It’s nothing spectacular but if you compose and don’t have to crop you can get plenty of detail at 12mp. It is very much a Hybrid. You are however entitled to your opinion as to what you consider good enough.

I just wouldn’t discount one’s ability to take some beautiful images and really get their money’s worth. I honestly think with the spec wars people forgot how good 12mp can look. It used to be the pro standard. I know some current D700 users that would be to differ.

These are not my files. Source is Jake Sloan’s YouTube page .

Upvote 0
I’ve very disappointed and confused by Canon’s pricing strategy here. For $500 (or 10%) more, customers can buy a RED Komodo with better specs. The fact that the Komodo captures RAW and convenient ProRes interests me more than built-in ND, which is a big selling point on the C70. Not sure what to expect from a crippled C50.

Upvote 0
Nope , but seriously this is pretty niche , I can see an application for 4K120 in very short clips though
When I shot Tv commercials a long time ago, with film, I would have loved a higher rez feature. How do you think Ken Burns gets those lauded, and award winning videos done? It’s by shooting bin a higher resolution, and zooming in on the shots, both still and video, while panning around. theres no other way to do it, and film makers do definitely use that feature. Additionally, shooting at 8k, even for 20 minutes allows one to bring that to 4K with greater sharpness than otherwise, which is how canons high wualityb4k mode works. It also lowers nous at 4K. So there are very good reasons for it.

in fact, for years beforec4k became a thing with TVs, filmmakers were shooting in 4K for both archival purposes, for when 4K became a consumer format, and for that same reason we will shoot 8k, and
I’ve said above.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I’ve very disappointed and confused by Canon’s pricing strategy here. For $500 (or 10%) more, customers can buy a RED Komodo with better specs. The fact that the Komodo captures RAW and convenient ProRes interests me more than built-in ND, which is a big selling point on the C70. Not sure what to expect from a crippled C50.
Can you see the Komodo being used in broadcast applications? I can't.
Does it have the same user interface and input/output layout? No, it is vastly different. mini-XLR inputs? I must be joking to ask for that.
Does it keep the same uncropped sensor area when moving up to 60p or 120p? No, it crops in more and more.
What about support for lenses and adapters? It is still very much in development on the RED.

We are talking about two very different cameras here, which happen to be at the same price point.

Upvote 0