Canon USA officially responds to concerns about shipping delays of the Canon EOS R5

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Well, theres a ton of people taking and posting photos with the R5 right now. That part seems to work exceptionally fine, while the video part doesn't as much. So how about you start looking at pictures while the people hoping for better video functionality keep checking whether Canon has a fix planned. :)
+++ how about you start looking at pictures while the people hoping for better video functionality keep checking whether Canon has a fix planned.
A.M.: I hope that was a question that you are thrown at Canon not me?
Otherwise, I do not recall engaging in meaningless conversations with you in the past.. I understand you are a photographer or videographer by trade. that does not make you commercially or market affluent alpha-magically.
there are some clearly defined limitations in the product user manual. if there are any discrepancies between product capabilities and real life experience, then this would have to be dealt with by the OEM. I have no doubt that Canon will do what is required to mitigate further brand damage.

Upvote 0

nikkito

Argentine Photojournalist
I am a photographer and video creator by trade. This is my sole income.

Well, it depends on how demanding your subjects are. Do you shoot sports, lowlight, for billboards, anything that requires premium AF. It's not as black and white as "specs don't matter".
It's way too easy to dismiss criticism as "the pros don't care". I'm a professional photographer, and I do care because some features make my job easier, and some make it even possible at all.

As professional photographer myself i know what i'm talking about and i also understand and agree with your point that some specs makes our lives easier. I have bought a Canon R despite the negative reviews and complains here and since them i'm shooting with it and a canon 1D X (for the times i need to make reportage, sports, etc) The autofocus of the canon R it's incredible and i love it. That's why i decided to switch to mirrorless and buy native lenses.
But come on, i've been working (and you as well) since 10 years without all this and that proves my point. The R5 seems in paper an amazing camera and people are complaining about everything instead of focusing (pun intended) on the amazing times we live in. Eye animal autofocus? whaaat?
This people should go out and shoot and then care about specs.
it's like those people who call themselves photographers because they bought a camera and have a watermark on their images bigger than the photo itself.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

A.M.: I hope that was a question that you are thrown at Canon not me?
Ok, my bad. When I first read your post I thought these were your words, aka. "stop complaining and start taking photos".
Reading it again it was an abstract rephrasing of Canon's statement.

I understand you are a photographer or videographer by trade. that does not make you commercially or market affluent alpha-magically.
This one though, *sigh*.
One half discredits your opinion because "real photographers go out and start shooting pictures, specs don't matter to them"
The other half says "so what if you're a photographer, that doesn't mean your opinion is more valid and you can dictate what Canon does"

Please let it be on record that I said neither, I was just debunking the "real photographers don't need specs" post. :)

Upvote 0

nikkito

Please let it be on record that I said neither, I was just debunking the "real photographers don't need specs" post. :)

I never said specs don't matter at all. but do they matter as much?

I'm guessing If specs matter that much to you, then you like it when you take a good photo and people tells you: Great photo, your camera is amazing! :sneaky:

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

But come on, i've been working (and you as well) since 10 years without all this and that proves my point. The R5 seems in paper an amazing camera and people are complaining about everything instead of focusing (pun intended) on the amazing times we live in.
While I absolutely agree with you, the issue is that while a lot of things were possible 10 years ago, the expectation of clients has changed, especially in video. 10 years ago I was running around with a 40D and video wasn't really a big thing. But I can't just deny that in 2020 4k and slow motion are a thing that can even be recorded on modern iPhones. Clients have zero understanding why you with your professional camera can't do a slow motion take of something. You can start going on about sensor size, dynamic range and autofocus speed. But in the end, if you can't deliver the shot they might go to someone else. That's what a tool has to do, enable those shots (within technical reason) that a client expects, even if it's just a handful of times a year.

I absolutely agree that the photography side of the R5 is completely amazing though, I haven't read a single negative review of this part. Wish mine wasn't delayed to the first half of August.

I'm guessing If specs matter that much to you, then you like it when you take a good photo and people tells you: Great photo, your camera is amazing! :sneaky:
Yeah, that's completely useless to the conersation. How does "wanting better specs" automatically translate to "you like it when people praise your camera". Not adding any value here except trying to belittle my reasoning. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

nikkito

While I absolutely agree with you, the issue is that while a lot of things were possible 10 years ago, the expectation of clients has changed, especially in video. 10 years ago I was running around with a 40D and video wasn't really a big thing. But I can't just deny that in 2020 4k and slow motion are a thing that can even be recorded on modern iPhones. Clients have zero understanding why you with your professional camera can't do a slow motion take of something. You can start going on about sensor size, dynamic range and autofocus speed. But in the end, if you can't deliver the shot they might go to someone else. That's what a tool has to do, enable those shots (within technical reason) that a client expects, even if it's just a handful of times a year.

I absolutely agree that the photography side of the R5 is completely amazing though, I haven't read a single negative review of this part. Wish mine wasn't delayed to the first half of August.

I agree with you. I don't shoot video though. I prefer to concentrate in Photography. I'm starting with video for myself but i'm too lazy to edit :D
Sometimes we have to educate clients. But i totally understand your point. Those examples you mentioned i've also experienced.
I miss the times when a reflex was just to take photos anyways :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Ok, my bad. When I first read your post I thought these were your words, aka. "stop complaining and start taking photos".
Reading it again it was an abstract rephrasing of Canon's statement.

This one though, *sigh*.
One half discredits your opinion because "real photographers go out and start shooting pictures, specs don't matter to them"
The other half says "so what if you're a photographer, that doesn't mean your opinion is more valid and you can dictate what Canon does"

i did not say neither. you are misreading my statement again. ok, I will make it short and simple: commercially you did not make sense. you are entitled to your opinions. sorry..

Upvote 0

nikkito

While I absolutely agree with you, the issue is that while a lot of things were possible 10 years ago, the expectation of clients has changed, especially in video. 10

Yeah, that's completely useless to the conersation. How does "wanting better specs" automatically translate to "you like it when people praise your camera". Not adding any value here except trying to belittle my reasoning. :)

Because that proves my point, in the end it's all about you as a photographer and your eye and talent. Not the camera. You know what i mean ;)

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
DPreview have just posted their review of the R5 and I was pleasantly surprised as in the passed, they haven't been that impressed with Canon sensors etc. However the review was quite balanced and honest in that for stills, they said the AF is better than pretty much anything, the DR is pretty good and if purchased you will be pleased. For video, it's a slightly different story as whilst they seemed happy with the picture quality, the time limits were an issue, although they did admit they were filming in pretty high temperatures and using the R5 as a true hybrid, stills then swapping to video.

Not a bad review!

Now, can Adobe please sort out the plug in for Lightroom so I can import my RAW images? Pleeeeeeeeeeease!! :ROFLMAO: If they do and it means I don't have to use the Beta version of the DNG converter, I will post some photos, maybe, possibly, if I feel like it.:p

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
Well, just see the review that got out right now from dpreview.

In resume, a superb camera! The only drawback? In video the overheating.

But let me clarify some of Jordan´s criticism.

- 30 minutes record time. I do understand it can be an issue for some, but it is not for the majority. Content creators or documentary filmmakers never shoots for 30 minutes straight. I believe it´s bad for interviews, but it´s the only issue.

- line skipping 4k. I don´t get it....really. Canon Gives you a 4k non crop (the criticism of the EOS R was the crop...) and now criticism is line skipping. It may nt he the crispy of the images because you now have an insane mode (4kHQ) to compare. But if you need 4k that line skipping will be more than enough!!

- overheating. From my perspective, overheating is not the major concern, the major concern is heating dissipation which leads to a big amount of time to camera record again. So the recovery is the biggest problem. All of the tests we have seen are straight recording times. But no one records 35 minutes straight unless you are interviewing someone or in some occasions you just leave camera rolling. But this is a minority of situations. I believe that if you film in a responsible way, thinking the shots before you hit the button, if you record 30 seconds or less of footage the camera will hold on for long time. Even in 4k120fps!! My usual record time for a 4k120fps situation is about 10/15 seconds a shot!!!!! So if you have 17 minutes of recording time...Just do the maths, how many footage you can get! Now what concerns me a bit is the overheating in between, when you are not filming and the camera keeps generating heat. I have to learn techniques to mitigate the problem.
And to finish, just use a god damn external monitor/recorder. It will solve eating problem and also it will save you a LOT money in CFEXPRESS cards. I bought a 64gb CFexpress just to have when not recording in external recorder. I pay 120€ for the card. With 200€ i can get a 1TB SSD to record in atomos! So you can see the difference! And also you will get a prores codec transcoding which will give you better handling files to edit.

Come on guys....3 weeks ago we didn´t even had a mirrorless FULLFRAME camera that could record more than 4k30fps....Now you have a camera that not only record 4k60, but also 4k120, 8k, 8k RAW and a stunning 4k HQ the best 4k in the market! And we are only talking about overheat?? Come on, start talking about that SUPERB 4K HQ!!

Internet is full of Sony reviewers/fanboys! This is the first long review I see about the EOS R5. All the others are just talking about overheating and everybody seems to have an A7s3 to praise!

Canon needs to invest in marketing! Sorry not marketing....Rubbish youtubers that spread lies and misleading opinions...

So here is the link of this guys! They are "Sony guys" but at least they are quite honest in the reviews. I like them, but i do Think Jordan´s is a very Sony fanboy....Between praising the highlights of the camera he chooses and insist in talking more about the downsides. But it´s ok.

Link to review:

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
DPreview have just posted their review of the R5 and I was pleasantly surprised as in the passed, they advent been that impressed with Canon sensors etc. However the review was quite balanced and honest in that for stills, they said the AF is better than pretty much anything, the DR is pretty good and if purchased you will be pleased. For video, it's a slightly different story as whilst they seemed happy with the picture quality, the time limits was an issue, although they did admit they were filming in pretty high temperatures and using the R5 as a true hybrid, stills then swapping to video.

Not a bad review!

Now, can Adobe please sort out the plug in for Lightroom so I can import my RAW images? Pleeeeeeeeeeease!! :ROFLMAO: If they do and it means I don't have to use the Beta version of the DNG converter, I will post some photos, maybe, possibly, if I feel like it.:p

Damn, i need to wait until Monday for mine...I believe Adobe will rapidly make the upgrade

Bullshit, when everyone is bailing on Canon to go to Sony and now they can't even fill the pre-orders.
I was told that another shipment will come in August and October... but was not told if my order will be filled.
Sony must be having a nice laugh, as we wait like guinea pigs to get one.

So...do you know about Sony deliver times? Do you know that they wont be having problems delivering cameras? Do you consider that The A7s2 has more than 5 years? Do you know that Sony guys that are laughing they are waiting for this camera for so long and how angry they are/were with Sony? You do know this pandemic changed everything don´t you? How can Canon be responsible if workers are in home? How can Canon be responsible if we are watching all of the countries that produces pieces to cameras stoping productions and factories? Come one...a little bit more comprehension...I understand your frustration, but this camera had an unprecedent amount of pre-orders! I can guess Sony A7s3 wont have so much preorders, but i can guess they will also have problems in supply!

Upvote 0

Canonite

EOS R5
Dec 19, 2013
Bullshit, when everyone is bailing on Canon to go to Sony and now they can't even fill the pre-orders.
Damn, i need to wait until Monday for mine...I believe Adobe will rapidly make the upgrade

So...do you know about Sony deliver times? Do you know that they wont be having problems delivering cameras? Do you consider that The A7s2 has more than 5 years? Do you know that Sony guys that are laughing they are waiting for this camera for so long and how angry they are/were with Sony? You do know this pandemic changed everything don´t you? How can Canon be responsible if workers are in home? How can Canon be responsible if we are watching all of the countries that produces pieces to cameras stoping productions and factories? Come one...a little bit more comprehension...I understand your frustration, but this camera had an unprecedent amount of pre-orders! I can guess Sony A7s3 wont have so much preorders, but i can guess they will also have problems in supply!

A7r III with 12megs, is video camera for bloggers and has nothing to do with a company that advertises "The wait is over"... NOOOOOOO it's not over
A big disappointment for all the Canon shooters that have waited since what since 2017 for Canon to bring out a proper mirrorless camera. Instead of bailing to Sony. The pandemic has nothing to do with them not having enough stock to fill pre-orders. So someone at Canon thought hey, lets release the camera even though we have a shortage of cameras. If you are going to use "The wait is over" then not having enough cameras is a pretty dumb marketing strategy imo. Your only mouthing off as your camera is due to arrive. But what if you, being so smart, had to wait for your pre-order without being told if your order will even be filled in October.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
A7r III with 12megs, is video camera for bloggers and has nothing to do with a company that advertises "The wait is over"... NOOOOOOO it's not over
A big disappointment for all the Canon shooters that have waited since what since 2017 for Canon to bring out a proper mirrorless camera. Instead of bailing to Sony. The pandemic has nothing to do with them not having enough stock to fill pre-orders. So someone at Canon thought hey, lets release the camera even though we have a shortage of cameras. If you are going to use "The wait is over" then not having enough cameras is a pretty dumb marketing strategy imo. Your only mouthing off as your camera is due to arrive. But what if you, being so smart, had to wait for your pre-order without being told if your order will even be filled in October.

I believe you are confuse and angry....I can understand that...No one likes to wait that´s for sure. But...let´s clarify, the Sony camera is the Sony A7S3 not the a7r3 and the camera definitely is not only for bloggers, it´s a very damn video capable camera for multiple uses.
Do you know how many Sony users are using that expression: "The wait is over" right now? Ohh...And do i need to remind that the camera is only in the market at the end of August? Ohh...And BTW my retailer said the a7s3 will be expected only in mid september!

How can you say the pandemic has nothing to do with it???????? Boy that´s so unfair!! Do you remember that Canon had to shut down 5 offices in Japan due to pandemics? Do you remember how badly it affects all the businesses this virus? Even the Sony Playstation is delayed? Do you know that to build a camera Canon needs parts that are manufactured by third part industries? Do you know that even the new Canon batteries are delayed? You are being very unfair!

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
The sony shills are out in force on youtube the last couple of days. There are obvious shills from different brands, which I don't mind, they're biased, but you take it with a grain of salt. Then there are "impartial" reviewers. As in "sony" reviewers. Who occasionally praise other brands' products, but in the end they shill for sony. DPR is one. Gerald undune is one. I believe sony bought him out when he was around the 30,000-50,000 subscribers mark. I follow him from the start. Whatever he was using/reviewing, gradually turns into sony, sony, sony cameras? He didn't say outright like a few others "I'm switching from xxx to sony". That's why sonybois always refer to him as the genius tech guru, just in case people call them out for referring to a sony shill.
"a7siii = a technical masterpiece" ??? If any other brands came up with a "~perfect" camera like this. Would he make such a title? Hell no! There will be some praise, but nothing like this. He might as well come out and say he's a sony ambassador.
Everybody's integrity has a price. Same go for other brand's shills. Occasionally they shill for other brand's products, just to make it seems like they're impartial.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

The sony shills are out in force on youtube the last couple of days. There are obvious shills from different brands, which I don't mind, they're biased, but you take it with a grain of salt.
I'm not doubting that there are fanboys (in all directions) among camera reviewers, but...

Then there are "impartial" reviewers. As in "sony" reviewers. Who occasionally praise other brands' products, but in the end they shill for sony. DPR is one. Gerald undune is one. I believe sony bought him out when he was around the 30,000-50,000 subscribers mark.
Without anything to back it up this is just a conspiracy theory, even your observation...

I follow him from the start. Whatever he was using/reviewing, gradually turns into sony, sony, sony cameras? He didn't say outright like a few others "I'm switching from xxx to sony". That's why sonybois always refer to him as the genius tech guru, just in case people call them out for referring to a sony shill.
...is flawed. If Sony was the first time his gear "just worked" for him, who are you to say "he must have been bought by Sony". It just does not make sense for anyone to switch gear a lot once you've settled in.
He is also using Blackmagic and was speaking very highly and thoroughly of the Canon C300 III and C500 II and was titling his video "Canon C300 Mark III Review // My New Favourite Camera". If he was "bought by Sony" he could have easily pushed the FX9 instead. Of course in your universe, giving Canon a "win" is only a maneuver to hide that he is, in fact, bought by Sony.
To be honest there was nothing really amazing in Canon video in DSLR/DSLM going on for years, so what did you expect from him? Praising the R for 1.74x 4k crop? :)

Everybody's integrity has a price. Same go for other brand's shills. Occasionally they shill for other brand's products, just to make it seems like they're impartial.
See, you have no proof of that, and stating it as a fact is just a conspiracy theory. But you are welcome to get your information from any number of channels and make your own conclusions.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
I'm not doubting that there are fanboys (in all directions) among camera reviewers, but...

Without anything to back it up this is just a conspiracy theory, even your observation...

...is flawed. If Sony was the first time his gear "just worked" for him, who are you to say "he must have been bought by Sony". It just does not make sense for anyone to switch gear a lot once you've settled in.
He is also using Blackmagic and was speaking very highly and thoroughly of the Canon C300 III and C500 II and was titling his video "Canon C300 Mark III Review // My New Favourite Camera". If he was "bought by Sony" he could have easily pushed the FX9 instead. Of course in your universe, giving Canon a "win" is only a maneuver to hide that he is, in fact, bought by Sony.
To be honest there was nothing really amazing in Canon video in DSLR/DSLM going on for years, so what did you expect from him? Praising the R for 1.74x 4k crop? :)

See, you have no proof of that, and stating it as a fact is just a conspiracy theory. But you are welcome to get your information from any number of channels and make your own conclusions.
Haha. You just proved my point.
Gerald/Mani occasionally do canon stuff. Gene/Matti occasionally do sony stuff. They swap around just to make things interesting.
Leaving the poor nikon/pana bois with very little presence in the "influenza" sphere.
Look, life is a lot like politics. When you watch a panel subtlety agreeing with one another, only occasionally give the other side some points in non-important topics. You catch on.

Upvote 0