Canon USA updates expected availability of the next allotment of Canon EOS R5 cameras

There are supply chain issues everywhere for many things. I know it is not a camera but I ordered a Whirlpool brand refrigerator on June 6. It is a normal fridge in white so no big specialty item. The delivery date was first stated to be Jun 19, then June 30, Then July 27, then July 30 and now it is October 3. We will see if that holds. Right now I would not blame the camera delays on Canons' poor planning. It is a reality in many places.

I think it's electronics in general just being screwed right now. they are saying now that laptops, webcams, etc are all pretty much tapped out.

while there's not the core in common, there's still common parts like resistors, caps, support checks, dc/dc converters and such used across multiple different devices that simply could be running out.

I made mention on twitter about this.

This is NOTHING to what Nikonians have experienced in the past with just about every prosumer camera starting with the D200.

A friend of mine was waiting for his D200 a nearly a year after the release. Finally ended up getting grey market of ebay.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
At least you didn't say "devastating." In the meantime you can get an R or RP which will serve as a backup later. And you can use the lenses you don't have for your R5 yet. Or do have?

I am amazed that somebody with no camera is waiting on an R5. Usually, for this level of camera madness, a photographer has at least one, sometimes several on the shelf. Very interesting. Did you sell another camera to help pay for this one? I could see that as frustrating.

Could you borrow from a friend? Buy something used? Wow, it might be MONTHS!

BTW, welcome to CR! :D
I'm surprised no one is selling their R5 for $10k to these impatient customers. ;)

Jack

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Woah.. it's like people understand Logistics here! Very refreshing!
Oh, there are people on CR forum that understand science, marketing, logistics, law, engineering, commerce and Even photography / videography.
there are also some very well skilled trolls dwelling on The CR forum. I kid you not :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The UK price is £4199. A guy put some on ebay.co.uk originally listed at £5000, but dropped to £4500, and has sold 16 with 5 to go. They are not flying off the shelf.

He has to find the balance between "I want it now even if I have to pay more" and "I'll pay less if I am patient."

The fact that he sold 16 of them tells me, actually, that he has found that balance. They are selling. If they were selling faster it would probably be an indication he didn't set his price as high as he could have. He'll probably sell the last five in the next couple of months. I think he did it right for maximizing profit.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I sold mine camera to afford the R5 not thinking Canon would do this. My mistake, the next time I'll probably wait a little longer.

My complaint is that Canon gave the impression they had the R5 ready to send out. The excuses of covid-19 does not work, covid-19 pandemic had/has been going on months before this announcement. The excuse that the R5 exceeded our expectations is another poor excuse. As far as I have been hearing relatively few have been sent out. In my opinion the R5 has it's problems and Canon would rather use these excuses then admit they're failures. I would rather hear Canon say we are sorry for the delay we want to have this camera ready before we send anymore out. End of story!
"First world-wide pandemic in a century" ain't exactly "The dog ate my homework" kind of excuse.

If only Covid would understand nobody likes it and it should just go away!

Upvote 0
He has to find the balance between "I want it now even if I have to pay more" and "I'll pay less if I am patient."

The fact that he sold 16 of them tells me, actually, that he has found that balance. They are selling. If they were selling faster it would probably be an indication he didn't set his price as high as he could have. He'll probably sell the last five in the next couple of months. I think he did it right for maximizing profit.

I was watching the seller and they didn't sell any at 5k afaik.

Upvote 0

chreeeeees

R5 + R + 6D Mark II
CR Pro
Sep 10, 2020
instagram.com
Hopefully the allotments start rolling in sooner than later. I'm eager to get my R5. I initially preordered a R6 on July 31 thru my local camera shop but then changed it to the R5 two weeks later. I wish the shop could give more specific (at least something similar to B&H) but they're answer is always we'll call you when we get it. I guess I will just keep this updated to see how long it actually takes to actually receive my camera. Until then my R and 6D2 will suffice.

Upvote 0
Hopefully the allotments start rolling in sooner than later. I'm eager to get my R5. I initially preordered a R6 on July 31 thru my local camera shop but then changed it to the R5 two weeks later. I wish the shop could give more specific (at least something similar to B&H) but they're answer is always we'll call you when we get it. I guess I will just keep this updated to see how long it actually takes to actually receive my camera. Until then my R and 6D2 will suffice.
To me this is the biggest point of frustration. Knowing the amount of pre-orders Canon should do more to manage expectations. I pre-ordered at my local shop in June and was #1 on the list for both the R5 and R6. I do have an R6, so I am not cameraless, but I have a big trip coming up next weekend and would like to know if my camera is coming or not. While I could understand supply chain issues, Canon should certainly have an idea when they will starting shipping in numbers, or at least how long they will not. If it's going to be October it would've been nice to know before I sold my 1DX II and 100-400 in lieu of an R5 and 100-500.

Upvote 0
Low possibility the supply chain drags the low availability. This is a century old industry, those suppliers can deliver the hot pizza in winter mid night despite the orderer dead or alive, virus infected or not.
Either the orders are not strong as expected, or design change due to the problem reported after the first small production released.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Low possibility the supply chain drags the low availability. This is a century old industry, those suppliers can deliver the hot pizza in winter mid night despite the orderer dead or alive, virus infected or not.
Either the orders are not strong as expected, or design change due to the problem reported after the first small production released.

You've got to be kidding, right?

The more complex and interdependent a society or economy is, the more fragile it becomes when something goes off line. A single small relay in Quebec paralyzed New York City and its surroundings for hours one night in 1965. Centuries ago there were fewer people who lived off the land; today, because we are specialized, we support a much higher population than before...but we are one week or less from food riots if the food stops moving. Our ancestors could have lasted a lot longer without railroads and long-haul trucking...I know this because they did.

The surprising thing is, honestly that the effects of having millions of people not work haven't been far, far worse.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

The more complex and interdependent a society or economy is, the more fragile it becomes when something goes off line. A single small relay in Quebec paralyzed New York City and its surroundings for hours one night in 1965. Centuries ago there were fewer people who lived off the land; today, because we are specialized, we support a much higher population than before...but we are one week or less from food riots if the food stops moving. Our ancestors could have lasted a lot longer without railroads and long-haul trucking...I know this because they did.

The surprising thing is, honestly that the effects of having millions of people not work haven't been far, far worse.

The more developed, the stronger it is. I'm afraid industries doesn't go to the opposite way as you scripted.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

Wanna see things get crazy real fast? Cut off our electricity. Maybe CR members should be getting some solar powered chargers so we can document the dark ages. But I'd suggest avoiding 20 fps until things are back to normal!

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
A couple friends in the chip manufacturing industry have told me that single chips can often take months to construct. With that in mind, I really wonder how far off Canon was in their demand planning? If way off, then they could be short on parts that take a long time to construct and put that on top of a pandemic.

All that said, I'd prefer they take their time and get it right. Last thing I want is a $3,900 camera that was rushed.

Upvote 0
I think Canon and distributors are prioritizing shipments to high profile users, professionals, influencers (Fro has 3), etc. It's not a conspiracy, just how connections and relationships work.

A local shop that I purchased from online, which has a substantial backlog, has had it's shipment due 11-September pushed off by a week.

Canon has never built a camera with IBIS, perhaps they have not yet fully optimized that part of the manufacturing and instead rely on manual labor? Or to shim that component's alignment? Perhaps the 45MP Dual Pixel sensor has a much lower production fab yield rate than the older 30MP DP or 50MP sensors. In any case R5 has shot from Top Seller to #1 Seller on B&H, public opinion is improving (not that it was ever awful once folks started receiving their cameras) orders seem to continue rolling in. The D850 was largely unavailable until the winter after it's late summer / fall release back in 2017.

I was not around for the 5D Mark III's release but I heard that backorders from heavy demand was similar, could someone comment to that?

cheers

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Perhaps the 45MP Dual Pixel sensor has a much lower production fab yield rate than the older 30MP DP or 50MP sensors. In any case R5 has shot from Top Seller to #1 Seller on B&H
From what I can gather from Japanese message boards, about 12,000 units of the R5 are produced per month (16,000 for the R6). Production is rumored to have started in May, so about 40,000 units seemed to have been available at launch (at least for the R5). Also, ironically the R5 went from the best selling camera at launch to not even in the Top 10 a couple weeks later (for supply reasons of course) according to Yodobashi Camera's ILC sales data.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Disney allows people who pay extra to cut to the front of the line. Until now, I've always thought that was a despicable, elitist policy.
If you ask an economist how to cure a shortage, he/she will say to raise the prices. That will provide an incentive for people with the resource (sellers) to provide more of it to the marketplace sooner and an incentive for people who want the resource (buyers) to find substitutes. In my case, my substitute is my 5D3 and 7D that still take really nice pictures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0