Canon Very Large Sensor Media Format Mirrorless 1Dx2 style Camera Seen in Wild

TO: neuroanatomist and Don Haines:

Now you're just getting cheeky with the text formatting there (which I've changed by the way!) :) ;-) :)

So again, I will concede the math is starting to look a bit suspect at the moment for allowing a 25 fps RAW Canon Medium Format Large-Sensor camera to exist but for JPEG-2000 4:4:4 48 bit colour it would be TECHNICALLY DOABLE using twin SATA drives embedded within the grip assembly.

Hmmm....looks like we shall have to see what gives with my sources and their "Leak Video" and what sort of explanation is forthcoming from them and the video....!!!!

So keep your fingers crossed until after NAB 2017....!!!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
To be fair, there probably are a few prototypes out there..... but usually prototypes do not result in a commercial product, usually they are about learning...

I, for one, expect to see a FF canon mirrorless camera in a relatively short time. It would make sense that the prototypes for them are in a body that is physically larger than the final product would be... and I would expect to see frame rates of 50FPS.

As to storage, I would expect to see a cross between compact Flash and a SS drive. If you can do 90MBps on a micro-SD, then something the physical size of a CF card (with a lot more pins than an SD card) should be able to hit GB speeds.

Anyway, none of us know what the future will bring, particularly since Canon is so secretive, but it is a lot of fun speculating and I hope all realize that the ribbing here is in good humour.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Fleetie said:
Surely that should be 296,681,472 bytes per frame, i.e. a factor of 2 more than you claim?
Which in turn gives 6.9GB (GiB) per second?

Surely you're not questioning his DECADES of experience and copious EXPERTISE in this subject matter? ;)

===

For MikeHit and Neuroanatomist:

I very much know how pro photographers work and such a scenario is UTTERLY UNACCEPTABLE to them...That's fine to point out as it brings up some important points to address as part of an UNSUBSTANTIATED RUMOUR.

Ergo, your point is well taken and such a long write time would likely be a HUGE PROBLEM for most pros! That said, I suspect something interesting will happen and the supposed upcoming "Leak Video" may or may not address this!

So keep the educated comments coming because THIS IS GETTING INTERESTING!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
HarryFilm said:

Now you're just getting cheeky with the text formatting there (which I've changed by the way!) :) ;-) :)

So again, I will concede the math is starting to look a bit suspect at the moment for allowing a 25 fps RAW Canon Medium Format Large-Sensor camera to exist but for JPEG-2000 4:4:4 48 bit colour it would be TECHNICALLY DOABLE using twin SATA drives embedded within the grip assembly.

Hmmm....looks like we shall have to see what gives with my sources and their "Leak Video" and what sort of explanation is forthcoming from them and the video....!!!!

Harry, I would love to be wrong, and I hope you know that it is all kidding. If you are ever in Ottawa, Canada, stop by for a beer, or even a shot of maple vodka!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
HarryFilm said:
neuroanatomist said:
Fleetie said:
Surely that should be 296,681,472 bytes per frame, i.e. a factor of 2 more than you claim?
Which in turn gives 6.9GB (GiB) per second?

Surely you're not questioning his DECADES of experience and copious EXPERTISE in this subject matter? ;)

===

For MikeHit and Neuroanatomist:

I very much know how pro photographers work and such a scenario is UTTERLY UNACCEPTABLE to them...That's fine to point out as it brings up some important points to address as part of an UNSUBSTANTIATED RUMOUR.

Ergo, you point is well taken and such a long write time would likely be a HUGE PROBLEM for most pros! That said, I suspect something interesting will happen and the supposed upcoming "Leak Video" may or may not address this!

So keep the educated comments coming because THIS IS GETTING INTERESTING!
At some point, it could be time to start forgetting about memory cards and go with internal SS storage, and for getting the data off-camera, wireless has a long way to go. (we are playing with wireless at 120GHZ in the lab), and there is always LiFi......

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
HarryFilm said:

Harry, I would love to be wrong, and I hope you know that it is all kidding. If you are ever in Ottawa, Canada, stop by for a beer, or even a shot of maple vodka!

===

Thank you! As an aside I am in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and only 3000km+ from Ottawa, but I film EVERYWHERE in the world! My contacts in the Netherlands and Germany, are still fairly major people within the Hollywood and Eurosports video and still photography world AND FOR THE NEXT TWO WEEKS (i.e. until after NAB 2017!), I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Something is coming! I don't really know much! Only What is Presented Here!
...BUT....it's probably "Gonna Be Reeeeeaaaal Good!"

We shall see..... :) ;-) :)

Upvote 0
OH WOW !!!!!!

Look what Sony has brought to the table TODAY!!!!

20 FPS at 24.2 megapixels!!!

Can Canon be far behind ??? 25 fps at 50 megapixels ??? !!!

===

SONY NEWS:

Link to original story:
http://www.canonrumors.com/off-brand-sony-announces-the-a9/

Groundbreaking Full-frame Mirrorless Camera Delivers Unmatched Speed, Versatility and Usability

World’s First1 full-frame stacked CMOS sensor, 24.2 MP2 resolution
Blackout-Free Continuous Shooting3 at up to 20fps4 for up to 241 RAW5/ 362 JPEG6 images
Silent7, Vibration-free shooting at speeds up to 1/32,000 sec8
693 point focal plane phase detection AF points with 60 AF/AE tracking calculations per second
Extensive professional features including Ethernet port for file transfer, Dual SD card slots and extended battery life
5-Axis in-body image stabilization with a 5.0 step9 shutter speed advantage

NEW YORK, Apr. 19, 2017 – Sony Electronics, a worldwide leader in digital imaging and the world’s largest image sensor manufacturer, has today introduced their new revolutionary digital camera, the α9 (model ILCE-9).

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
NancyP said:
I could go for a 4" x 5" sensor weighing under 5 pounds. Even monochrome. Semi-affordable, though.

"affordable" is... ya, sorry. I don't think they'll get the cost down a whole lot for the 4x5" but it should be out later this year and looks somewhat more tote-able... ??
Mid 5 digits in usd$..?

The 9x11 inch COLOR sensor looks like a special order
see VERSIONS near bottom of this page:

http://largesense.com/products/8x10-large-format-digital-back-ls911/

experimental color-wheel for those who need color stills:
http://largesense.com/products/color-wheel/

Ya, it's expensive, but so's a Hassy. :)
I think the LS would be a lot of fun to shoot with tho.

4x5 (5x5) inch later this year in monochrome with possible color version
somewhat more portable

http://largesense.com/products/4x5-large-format-digital-back-ls55/

4x4" 200MP in musing-stage but would be a very nice alternative to a film back for some work.

http://largesense.com/products/4x4-200-mega-pixel-large-format-digital-back-monster-ls44/

LS44-concept-image.png

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
HarryFilm said:
OH WOW !!!!!!

yes?
Sounds like Sony put buffer memory right on the sensor assembly... and lots of it!
How would Canon decide to read and store image data on their MFD unit, similar system to Sony with lots of sync'd ADCs?

Upvote 0
Aglet said:
HarryFilm said:
OH WOW !!!!!!

yes?
Sounds like Sony put buffer memory right on the sensor assembly... and lots of it!
How would Canon decide to read and store image data on their MFD unit, similar system to Sony with lots of sync'd ADCs?

---

This is an EASY task, we do it on our own systems here at work!

We bond an ARM-type processor Core-or-16 directly to a CMOS sensor adding an in-between liquid cooling layer containing microchannels. (You need to licence the microchannel cooling technology patents from IBM but it's fairly cheap!) and etch in Static RAM right next to the ARM CPU/GPU components running at the same clock speed. Hellish Expensive for so much static ram (16 gigabytes) to do but since our systems cost $750,000 US+ PER camera they're not in the same league as Canon!

Canon could do the same but use L3-type off-cpu VRAM cache which is a LOT CHEAPER to BUILD than Static RAM memory running at the same speed as the cpu core. For cooling, some machined aluminum fins bonded directly to the the chip assembly along with solid copper OR aluminum piping connected to the outer body SHOULD be enough to cool the system using radiative heat transfer methods without using vent holes thus keeping the weather sealing that Canon is well-noted for in it's 1Dx-style cameras.

AND based upon what I have heard from MORE THAN ONE SOURCE, Canon will do exactly that in using a stacked CMOS sensor bonded to an ARM CPU/GPU (DIGIC-7/8?) and off-chip L3-style VRAM cache (4-to-8+ gigabytes?) with attached piping and then radiative cooling to outer body...We shall see if that's true......!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
HarryFilm said:
On a slightly different tack, since NAB 2017 is right around the corner all these new camera announcement will likely prove or disprove SOME of the statements I have made within this thread. So we shall take a most-close look and dissect all the upcoming manufacturer announcements.

Harry, it's been almost 2 weeks, are there any updates?

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:
HarryFilm said:
On a slightly different tack, since NAB 2017 is right around the corner all these new camera announcement will likely prove or disprove SOME of the statements I have made within this thread. So we shall take a most-close look and dissect all the upcoming manufacturer announcements.

Harry where are those updates on this? ::)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Monchoon said:
Orangutan said:
HarryFilm said:

Harry where are those updates on this? ::)

I talked to friend who knows someone who works for Canon as a photocopier repairman, and he says that he saw a camera that was significantly larger than a cell phone, so that confirms the rumor......

Upvote 0