Canon will announce the RF 16mm f/2.8 and RF 100-400mm next

RF 16mm F2.8mm is an instant buy, if…
- same size, built quality as 35mm F1.8
- control ring (a must)
- IS

I’ll preorder it seconds after the annoucement

I sold my EF 16-35mm F4 in order to get the RF 14-35mm F4. After canon revealed the price for the RF Lense I cancelled this plan immediately…
Now, a RF 16mm F2.8 sounds like an intriguing option to replace my UWA. It’ll be lighter than a zoom and therefore it’ll be great for traveling :) I just crop for the missing 17-23mm (I do own the 24-105mm so I’m covered from there on)
The direction I’m heading is the 24-240 for a catch all. Then a stack of affordable primes (at least affordable in the RF full frame world). I have the 35 and 85 as well as the 32 for the M6 MK ii (so not compelled to get the RF 50). Round that out with an RF 600 f/11 and the RF 16 f/2.8 and I’ll be pretty happy.

Maybe if I win Fro’s contest I’ll add an L zoom.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The direction I’m heading is the 24-240 for a catch all. Then a stack of affordable primes (at least affordable in the RF full frame world). I have the 35 and 85 as well as the 32 for the M6 MK ii (so not compelled to get the RF 50). Round that out with an RF 600 f/11 and the RF 16 f/2.8 and I’ll be pretty happy.

Maybe if I win Fro’s contest I’ll add an L zoom.
Sounds good to me :)
I actually wanted the RF100-500mm and didn’t get it…

so I bought a used RF600mm F11 for my vacation (along side an RF 70-200mm) and I was pleasantly surprised by the 600mm. It is lightweight and the IQ is way better than expected. Very happy with this lense and canons approach here.

Since the RF70-200mm is absolutely amazing (and perfect for traveling) I might keep this combination and cancel my order for the RF100-500mm

Upvote 0
Sounds good to me :)
I actually wanted the RF100-500mm and didn’t get it…

so I bought a used RF600mm F11 for my vacation (along side an RF 70-200mm) and I was pleasantly surprised by the 600mm. It is lightweight and the IQ is way better than expected. Very happy with this lense and canons approach here.

Since the RF70-200mm is absolutely amazing (and perfect for traveling) I might keep this combination and cancel my order for the RF100-500mm
I rented the 600 for a Florida vacation for less than $100 for a couple weeks. Rented the RF 15-35 for a Utah/Colorado road trip for less than $250 for three weeks. Rentals worked really well for travel until some affordable options come around.

Thanks for the used / refurbished reminder. I’ll have to keep an eye out.

Upvote 0
That’s unfortunate. I ordered mine on 8/15 and it was delivered 8/25
Yes and while you keep waiting, Canon offers this lens up on their online store, every couple of weeks, instead of filling pre-orders from their merchants on orders like yours......
Well, I recently travelled to the states and I checked the online store and Amazon.com every other day. I didn’t have any luck…
Since I’m now back in Europe I’ll have to wait till next summer anyway because there’s now way I’m paying the extra crazy prices in Europe… us retail listings for canon are already overpriced, but nothing compared to Europe… with the RF100-500mm it’s nearly 800 €/ Lense saved. If I buy two L lenses in the states I basically save the money for the plane tickets of my girlfriend and me…

therefore, I’m in no rush right now, just hope the pre order will be delivered till next june or august…

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Well, I recently travelled to the states and I checked the online store and Amazon.com every other day. I didn’t have any luck…
Since I’m now back in Europe I’ll have to wait till next summer anyway because there’s now way I’m paying the extra crazy prices in Europe… us retail listings for canon are already overpriced, but nothing compared to Europe… with the RF100-500mm it’s nearly 800 €/ Lense saved. If I buy two L lenses in the states I basically save the money for the plane tickets of my girlfriend and me…

therefore, I’m in no rush right now, just hope the pre order will be delivered till next june or august…
I had placed this lens on my on line merchant's wish list, where it stayed for four months, while every two weeks, I kept being notified it still wasn't in stock. Finally tiring of this, I got a CPW notice the lens was available at Canon's direct store. As luck would have it, I was on my computer when CPW's stock notice came through. I immed went to the Canon store, ordered it, at full price + shipping and tax, of course, receiving it four days later. It's a nice lens and I've enjoyed using it as I roam the local Audubon Sanctuary. Hopefully, you'll find it will be worth the wait. Good luck and do hope you end up finding it was everything you hoped for. I like your flying to the states strategy. :unsure::giggle:

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Nice lenses , but I hope Canon makes a RF200-600mm DO f/5.6 with built in 1.4x extender and / or a RF600mm DO f/5.6 also with built in T.C
Both would be expensive but not as expensive as the RF600mm f/4 and much lighter and more compact
Edit: hopefully if Canon do make these (with or without built-in 1.4x extenders) then they will also make them fully compatible with the 1.4x and 2x RF extenders rather than repeat the RF100-500 restricted range fiasco .

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I had placed this lens on my on line merchant's wish list, where it stayed for four months, while every two weeks, I kept being notified it still wasn't in stock. Finally tiring of this, I got a CPW notice the lens was available at Canon's direct store. As luck would have it, I was on my computer when CPW's stock notice came through. I immed went to the Canon store, ordered it, at full price + shipping and tax, of course, receiving it four days later. It's a nice lens and I've enjoyed using it as I roam the local Audubon Sanctuary. Hopefully, you'll find it will be worth the wait. Good luck and do hope you end up finding it was everything you hoped for. I like your flying to the states strategy. :unsure::giggle:
That sounds great! Glad you got the lense and that you enjoy it so much :) I’m sure, I love it as well because I think the EF100-400mm is great, too.
And it seems like I buy my lenses in the same state you’re located, at least of my googling of the sanctuary was correct :) lots, and lots of friendly people in this state :)

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
Agree that this 100-400 is likely the RF ‘replacement’ for the EF 70-300 IS non-L.

I have the EF 70-300L, and I like it for the convenience of its compact length. Still, 100-400mm is a good range. From a marketing standpoint, this will sit nicely in between the 70-200 and 100-500 L-series offerings, and thus could be seen as an ‘affordable’ version of those aimed at EOS RP owners or those who want a telezoom for infrequent use.

Although I use my 70-200/2.8 throughout its range, with longer telezooms like the 70-300L or 100-400L, I usually find myself at the long end of the range (which is why I replaced the latter with a 600/4 II).
I had the 70-300L as well it was a great travel zoom due its size and very sharp. It was my last EF lens, and I reluctantly sold it. It’s temporary replacement in my bag is is the RF 70-200, but I hope they someday make a direct replacement. Hard decision to sell it , but In the end, It just didn’t make sense to pack an adapter for just one EF lens. I am finding that with the added resolution of the R5 the 200L gets me about the same performance as the 5D4/R/EF 70-300L combo did.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Hard decision to sell it , but In the end, It just didn’t make sense to pack an adapter for just one EF lens. I am finding that with the added resolution of the R5 the 200L gets me about the same performance as the 5D4/R/EF 70-300L combo did.
I will typically be bringing a mount adapter – much of my travel shooting is architecture, and I use a TS-E 17 and 24, and the 11-24. For the TS-E 17 and 11-24, the adapter with the drop-in filters is a huge advantage compared to having a front-filter setup (even if there were RF equivalents, which there aren’t).

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Nice lenses , but I hope Canon makes a RF200-600mm DO f/5.6 with built in 1.4x extender and / or a RF600mm DO f/5.6 also with built in T.C
Both would be expensive but not as expensive as the RF600mm f/4 and much lighter and more compact
These would be awesome lenses for birds and wildlife!

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020

Just remember to visit a no tax or low tax state! Local sales tax can be around 10% and eat into your "savings" quite a bit. If you are planning on purchasing the lens in advance, you could order from a local store ahead of time to ensure it's reserved and available when you arrive.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
For those waiting for the 100-500 RF, don't give up hope. I ordered two in May from B&H (my wife also shoots) and they arrived a week ago. Best Buy had some in stock recently, but is now sold out. Canon seems to finally be starting to ship. And yes, I agree with those who are annoyed that Canon is giving preference to their own online store over other dealers. I'm sure dealers who represent far more sales for Canon find it very frustrating.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Regarding the 16mm f2.8 lens. I would not expect any bargains. As someone else said, I doubt it would be a pancake lens. I could see it as a non-IS lens since for an extreme wide angle, IBIS should be more than sufficient in most cases. For me personally, if the price is significantly below the 14-35 f4, I might consider this as an alternative, because when I want a wide zoom, I'm usually using it at the widest setting anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0