Canon will do a Livestream for the EOS R5 and EOS R6 official announcement [CR2]

RF 70-200 may be able to use the TCs? is this not the best news we could hear this year so far (70-200 owners?)
All RF lenses to boot? Canon working some real magic this year.

Absolutely.

I was going to get the 100-500, but now I think I may go another route, especially if the 100-500 is not f/5.6 at 400mm:

RF 70-200 f/2.8 (already own) + 2x TC = 140-400 f/5.6
RF 600 & 800 (possibly with 1.4x TC)

I don't know. I'll probably pre-order everything separately so I can cancel what I don't want after watching/reading the reviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Regarding the “cool” adapters coming, this has got to be 1.4x and 2x flip-switch TCs for EF big whites. Then all eventual RF big whites would have a removable rear segment to reveal an EF mount so they could be used on a DSLR (at the slower EF mount communication protocol) or accept the flip TCs that engage the extra RF connections.

RF Big Whites:
All intact — RF mount
Rear segment removed — becomes EF mount
Rear segment removed — accepts flip-TCs

This way there would additional functionally added to EF big whites, making those that use them want to switch to R bodies. And Canon could wait to make RF big whites until the next planned upgrade cycle for each lens since the urgency to deliver big white RFs would be removed.

Removing a rear segment from an RF mount to reveal an EF mount, is not even possible.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Regarding the “cool” adapters coming, this has got to be 1.4x and 2x flip-switch TCs for EF big whites. Then all eventual RF big whites would have a removable rear segment to reveal an EF mount so they could be used on a DSLR (at the slower EF mount communication protocol) or accept the flip TCs that engage the extra RF connections.

RF Big Whites:
All intact — RF mount
Rear segment removed — becomes EF mount
Rear segment removed — accepts flip-TCs

This way there would additional functionally added to EF big whites, making those that use them want to switch to R bodies. And Canon could wait to make RF big whites until the next planned upgrade cycle for each lens since the urgency to deliver big white RFs would be removed.
Don’t forget, the 300 2.8 II, 500 f4 II and 200-400 f4 were not updated in the last EF round. I think these will be our first big whites for RF with weight reduction and slightly improved optics. Maybe, the 200-400 will be stretched to 200-500 f4 and they dont bother updating to a RF 500f4 IS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
If the RF 70-200 f2.8 L IS can work with the 2x converter, then I hope it will result in a good IQ for 140-400 f5.6. If so, then it would take some pressure off of trying to decide which (current or future) long tele zoom to get. All in all, it's great news! :D

If it works then I would sell my EF70-200 F2.8 and EF100-400 and get the RF70-200 F2.8 and both RF converters.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Removing a rear segment from an RF mount to reveal an EF mount, is not even possible.

You mean like when you remove the current EF EOS R Mount Adapter off an EF big white?

You’re missing the logic: All Canon RF big whites could continue to be EF lenses with an RF adapter on them, only the adapter would be matching white and perhaps more rugged or have some sort of additional locking mechanism for added strength. Simply remove the adapter and replace it with a flip-TC also in white. Simply remove the adapter and use it on a DSLR. Leave the adapter on and it works on R bodies just like the EF lenses do now.

I’m basically saying they make a more pro white EF-RF adapter than what they already make — and bundle it with every big white lens, already attached. It makes the lens seem more like a modular RF lens than calling it an EF lens with an included RF adapter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don’t forget, the 300 2.8 II, 500 f4 II and 200-400 f4 were not updated in the last EF round. I think these will be our first big whites for RF with weight reduction and slightly improved optics. Maybe, the 200-400 will be stretched to 200-500 f4 and they dont bother updating to a RF 500f4 IS.

Yeah, for sure there would be some big whites to prioritize for improvements. It’s just a flip-TC RF adapter for EF big whites would help reduce the urgency of calls to see RF big whites released while adding a huge feature that would draw DSLR big white owners over to the R system.

I do hope the first RF big white is either the 300 2.8 or the 200 f2.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Somehow "to good to be true" sounds like the motto of the upcoming announcement.

Compatible with all RF lenses sounds unrealistic. Don't some of them already protrude into the body? Once the MP counts climb up even further, TCs may not be necessary for most people. But until then, it would be best not to compromise their quality for compatibility with lenses that don't make much sense anyway.

The only interesting new adapter that comes to my mind would indeed be an RF to EF-M speedbooster. Since you need glass in the adapter anyway for that mount combination, making it useful would be very welcome. I doubt they'll do it though, despite the patent they have. Just too good to be true.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
If the RF 70-200 f2.8 L IS can work with the 2x converter, then I hope it will result in a good IQ for 140-400 f5.6. If so, then it would take some pressure off of trying to decide which (current or future) long tele zoom to get. All in all, it's great news! :D
Totally agree. I'm new to using longer lenses, not that the 70-200mm is classed as a long lens lol. also great for the 24-105 as an even more useful walk around lens, albeit reducing the F to f8.

my only concern after reading some TC reviews is how it may affect AF as some have said the AF doesn't work as well. That would be a pain for the odd occasion I do wildlife but the benefits would still outweigh it.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
my only concern after reading some TC reviews is how it may affect AF as some have said the AF doesn't work as well. That would be a pain for the odd occasion I do wildlife but the benefits would still outweigh it.
This has mostly been a limitation of DSLRs as their AF systems have so little light to work with (and I think they need larger cone anyway). Sony's A9 does fine(ish?) at f/13 for example.

Anyhow not believing until I see that they work with every lens. Those protrusions haven't been there just for fun. :D

Upvote 0