Canon will soon announce the Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 along with two new kit lenses

The true picture of mine:
  • I am an M50 user with a Kit and 22m f2 lens.
  • As a content creator, it is not fit for me for its stabilization in video.
  • I purchased it for my budget range at the end of 2019.
  • I use DJI pocket 2 for any walking or trip reports (to me it is a better low light wobble free video than GoPro 10) and M50 for B-roll, pictures or others.
Sell and budget :
  • Canon M50 with Kit and 22m F2 I will get 630-670 USD (Bangladesh).
  • I can add another 700-800USD
  • The new budget can be 1400-1600 USD including the lens.
Options:
  • Sony A7C (1400USD in Bangladesh), with Tamron/Viltrox 24mm
  • Fuji XS-10 with Sigma 16mm f1.4
  • Canon R10 with 18-150 or (16mm 2.8 and 501.8).
  • RP with 35mm F1.8
  • Canon R8 with 16mm 2.8 or 50mm 1.8
Which one I should ? I know nothing about R8. Or it will be over budget?

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The true picture of mine:
  • I am an M50 user with a Kit and 22m f2 lens.
  • As a content creator, it is not fit for me for its stabilization in video.
  • I purchased it for my budget range at the end of 2019.
  • I use DJI pocket 2 for any walking or trip reports (to me it is a better low light wobble free video than GoPro 10) and M50 for B-roll, pictures or others.
Sell and budget :
  • Canon M50 with Kit and 22m F2 I will get 630-670 USD (Bangladesh).
  • I can add another 700-800USD
  • The new budget can be 1400-1600 USD including the lens.
Options:
  • Sony A7C (1400USD in Bangladesh), with Tamron/Viltrox 24mm
  • Fuji XS-10 with Sigma 16mm f1.4
  • Canon R10 with 18-150 or (16mm 2.8 and 501.8).
  • RP with 35mm F1.8
  • Canon R8 with 16mm 2.8 or 50mm 1.8
Which one I should ? I know nothing about R8. Or it will be over budget?
Wait until Feb 8 and find out more about the R8 and R50.

Upvote 0
There is no way to see the same sensor as M50 on R50! It will be a new sensor tech on a new camera body design like M series. At this price point good af performance but lower than r7 is expected! There is no room at 2023 for slow af performance anymore when taking a look at the competition I think. 7-10 fps is mandatory also. I don't see IBIS to be included at R50 at this price point but I would be extremely happy if it does! Sony nowadays include IBIS in almost every new camera they announce so Canon has to follow if they want to compete head to head! I had M6 back in time and it was a lovely body design with many limitations but still good for it's price. If Canon provide new fresh tech in 2023 in this kind of camera body design then It will sell like crazy I think, as Canon doesn't have a reallly small and lightweight camera body regarding competition.

Upvote 0
I cannot understand why some people believe that there will be replacements of R and RP. These camera bodies were a temporary fast solution for Canon to enter milc market and claim their spot against Sony and Nikon offerings. So they tried to steal time to be ready for the next gen milc bodies which were the replecements of 6D and 5D4. Now there are R5 and R6 bodies there is no need to upgrade R and Rp imo! Don't forget that Canon needs to address another 2 camera bodies which are the high resolution one (aka R5S) and the R1 to compete against a1/z9. The only possibility to get an R replacement in the future is for Canon to provide a full frame camera body with M series design in mind which is plausible as the Rf ff lenses are big and heavy at the moment.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
So you mean EF 100-400 didnt exist and was replaced by said lens but apart from Canon lenses(zoom lenses either at f6.3 or f7.1 or f8 at long end instead of 5.6 on SLR equivalents even for Nikon and other systems now), there are many lenses for other mounts as well which have started to get a bit too dark. Fuji 150-600mm, Olympus 100-400, are 2 other examples where lenses are on darkside.

The 100-400 is obviously a replacement for the 70-300 type lenses. So you essentially get 100mm extra and still have around F5.6 at 300mm. For the same size, weight and price. For me that's a win-win situation. The EF 100-400 replacement is the RF 100-500. Again, you don't lose anything but gain extra 100mm. Shame that so many can only focus on the F7.1 and forget about the extra 100mm gained.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
I find it funny that 7fps is considered “slow” because when I first got into photography in the film days you had to advance each frame manually with your thumb. Then I saved up for a used power winder attachment and was able to get a whopping 3.5 frames a second, which was considered blazingly fast at the time lol. I got plenty of action shots of my friends surfing at 3.5fps. Now people complain 20fpsisnt fast enough. I would argue the modern photographer has no skills.

I agree, I have DSLR since 2006 and I don't remember ever moving the drive away from single shot, excluding the self timer/remote drive; 1fps is fast enough for me, then I understand someone else needs, or simply likes, speed, but hell 6/8fps is already blazing fast, complain abut 20fps is a nonsense, you better shoot a video at 24fps then, or even at faster framerates, and extract the single frames out of it.
But hey, they have to sell cameras somehow, and it fps sells...one day the wedding photographers will do no more stills, just videos, so they extract the best frames ahah so you don't lose the moment. Pathetic. You just press the button and hope something good will be caught in the 50/100/200 frames you'll take in 10 seconds.

Upvote 0
The R50 would be priced against the ZV-E10 which does not have IBIS.
The R8 is significantly cheaper than the a7 III which is really up against the original R6.
Yes but with the given rumored specs for R8 it seems to be a step higher than R6 which doesn't make sense to me at all and at this price! Every camera from Canon for the last 20 years at least shows that every model with a higher number has lower specs. 1D, 5D, 6D, 7D, **D, ***D -> R1, R3, R5, R6, R7, R8, R10 etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

muentzer

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 16, 2020
Berlin, Germany
The best options for RF-S cameras should be RF-S lenses but Canon seems to hate that idea.
Canon already hated the idea when the topic was EF-S lenses for EF-S cameras (and the M-line was not much better in that regard). So if you really - as in really, really - want APS-C lenses for an APS-C camera - get a Fuji.

But be aware, that these lenses might not be smaller or lighter or cheaper or better in any other respect than their FF counterparts. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Because its obvious they can produce it they're just cost saving while still raising the price. You should see how much that old 55-250 cost compared to what this new one will.
But again, I'm not sure that counts as "lazy". Maybe shrewd, maybe cynical. Assuming that's even what is happening (I don't know).

Upvote 0
What is disappointing is that we had better choices in the EF era, 10+ years ago. I can't wait for the 50-180 F5.6-F9 APS-C lens with plastic mount for $500.
You still have those choices. You can mount those EF lenses you consider better than current offerings. They'll benefit from the RF bodies' improved features like IBIS, AF, and IQ. You have more choice now than ever.

Upvote 0
Absolutely. IQ in macros with low ISO are very forgiving on crop mode. I often only carry a prime and using crop mode to compose when your reach is not enough is totally fine in most instances where I am only taking snapshots.
Yeah, funnily enough I got the RF 35mm not knowing if it was the right focal length for me, and I've found I use it as often in crop mode for food and product photography as uncropped. In that sense maybe I should have gone with the 50 or even 85, but this way I kindof have two lenses for the price of one.

Upvote 0
I cannot understand why some people believe that there will be replacements of R and RP. These camera bodies were a temporary fast solution for Canon to enter milc market and claim their spot against Sony and Nikon offerings. So they tried to steal time to be ready for the next gen milc bodies which were the replecements of 6D and 5D4. Now there are R5 and R6 bodies there is no need to upgrade R and Rp imo! Don't forget that Canon needs to address another 2 camera bodies which are the high resolution one (aka R5S) and the R1 to compete against a1/z9. The only possibility to get an R replacement in the future is for Canon to provide a full frame camera body with M series design in mind which is plausible as the Rf ff lenses are big and heavy at the moment.
The RP is priced around $1000, the R about $1400. The R6 is $2300 and the R6II $2500. If Canon doesn't replace the R/RP with *something*, that leaves a huge gap in their FF lineup at entry level pricing. Canon isn't going to leave that gap open for their competitors.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
You still have those choices. You can mount those EF lenses you consider better than current offerings. They'll benefit from the RF bodies' improved features like IBIS, AF, and IQ. You have more choice now than ever.

That's not what I meant. I'm not buying APS-C to put a big adaptor on it, unless it's an exotic EF lens, like a big telephoto.
Forcing to choose between dark zooms and using older lenses with adapter is not really a choice.

Upvote 0